Author Topic: Windshield backpressure  (Read 15982 times)

Offline Awaz

• Arena
Windshield backpressure
« on: November 10, 2011, 09:06:34 AM »
Apologize to the search nazies in advance ! I could not find a relevant response.

There is some back pressure when I have my Cee Baily Euro all the way up. I know some of you cut holes in your shield a.k.a Calsi style to reduce that. I am wanting to try that out, but first want to confirm that it does help, and second, what do you use to cut holes? Any other tips will be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Apologize for being an A**. I retract the above statement. It is just that I have seen many people just run you down if you do not happen to do a search or find the right thread.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 10:04:05 AM by Awaz »
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline Conrad

Re: Windshield backpressure
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 09:17:20 AM »
I can't help you with your shield question but if I may make a suggestion...

I wouldn't start out a question for help by calling some people a nazi, it tends to **** some folks off and pissed off people can be less than helpful.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 09:39:57 AM »

I wouldn't start out a question for help by calling some people a nazi, it tends to **** some folks off and pissed off people can be less than helpful.
uh oh, we better call the pc police!!!!
happy trails     2016 c14

Offline Gearhead82

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 09:56:39 AM »

"No soup for you!"
'09 C14, Area P Full System, BMC, Flies out, PCV

Offline Gearhead82

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 10:00:12 AM »
Apologize to the search nazies in advance ! I could not find a relevant response.

There is some back pressure when I have my Cee Baily Euro all the way up. I know some of you cut holes in your shield a.k.a Calsi style to reduce that. I am wanting to try that out, but first want to confirm that it does help, and second, what do you use to cut holes? Any other tips will be greatly appreciated.

This was the topic I remember on the subject:

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=3391.0

Offline kdm

• Arena
  • Lakeland , Florida
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 05:55:15 PM »
It's a joke, dude !  ::)
2001 C10  - sold
2008 C14

Offline Big Iron

• Sure don't want to offend anyone...
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 07:56:55 PM »
+ 1 shreveport.
Off topic, but I can identify with Awaz about the 'search nazis'. I don't dare post questions on this forum anymore....it never fails when someone does - there's an immediate barrage of replies berating the OP for not finding the answer buried somewhere in the threads.
C-14

Offline Jaxter

• Blue might not be fastest, but it's my favorite
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 08:12:02 PM »
Just curious...can you define the symptoms of "back pressure"
I've Never Had A Better Day

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 08:53:03 PM »
Wait... are you saying you don't post here anymore because the people are too tough but in this thread you posted about.... the people being too tough? I can't put my finger on it but there is something ironic somewhere in there I think....

;D

Brian

+ 1 shreveport.
Off topic, but I can identify with Awaz about the 'search nazis'. I don't dare post questions on this forum anymore....it never fails when someone does - there's an immediate barrage of replies berating the OP for not finding the answer buried somewhere in the threads.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Gearhead82

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 09:44:44 PM »
Just curious...can you define the symptoms of "back pressure"

I experienced the "back pressure" when I use the stock shield on my '09.  When you raise the shield, it creates a vacuum behind the shield that kinda sucks your torso forward towards the windshield.  The windshields (like the Cal Sci) which have a vent cut in to the bottom allow air to flow up the back side of the shield, eliminating the low pressure area.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 09:56:45 PM »
Yes, that is exactly right. Looking at the hole, you would think that a column of air would come through and hit you in the abdomen but that is not what happens; the air coming through the windshield turns and flows up on the inside of the windshield to meet the air coming over the top edge of the windshield. It is really amazing to watch it happen- you can sometimes see a mist traveling well enough to see it but snow really shows what is happening. The snow flakes race right against the inside of the windshield and travel straight up all the way to the top. We would tend to think that such a big cutout would make for more air movement inside the cockpit but in reality it makes the conditions behind the windshield quite a bit quieter.

Brian

I experienced the "back pressure" when I use the stock shield on my '09.  When you raise the shield, it creates a vacuum behind the shield that kinda sucks your torso forward towards the windshield.  The windshields (like the Cal Sci) which have a vent cut in to the bottom allow air to flow up the back side of the shield, eliminating the low pressure area.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2011, 10:24:55 PM »

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2011, 10:30:03 PM »
The OP has posted up some pretty interesting topics IMHO.......just sayin. No soup for you.....come back in 2 weeks!!!! :stirpot:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2011, 03:53:18 AM »
The OP has posted up some pretty interesting topics IMHO.......just sayin. No soup for you.....come back in 2 weeks!!!! :stirpot:

+1 and look, Pokey is already cooking the soup!  :stirpot:
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2011, 04:23:06 AM »

Where the heck have you been?  Anyway glad you are back.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline jayke

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2011, 04:34:53 AM »
I know some of you cut holes in your shield a.k.a Calsi style to reduce that.

I have a Cal Sci, there is no back pressure.  I had a Cee Bailey on my previous FJR and had back pressure so I bought a Cal Sci for it.  The back pressure went away.

When I bought the C14 I bought another Cal Sci.

I don't care why but the hole in the windshield works.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2011, 04:35:23 AM »
On the matter of the 'Search function', I agree it isn't the best but it's worth a shot.  Takes a few seconds and you can check for a quick hit at least.  The second place too look would be the C14 Wiki FAQ area.  Lots of good information there, but there isn't anything specific on 'back pressure' from a screen.  I can tell you that right now.  And while I don't have a good memory (I have my wife for that), I don't think that back pressure has been a subject per se since the new forum came to being.  One thing that does irk me ( I don't like to be irked) is that a question (not this one) is being asked that was asked before not two pages back, so scanning the subject lines for at least a few pages back might help as well.  It helps to have a subject line that is descriptive of the question being asked.  Helps all of us find things easier.

Now back on topic.  My stock 08 screen is great for warmer weather but it can rock my head back and forth (Brian, no comments from you  ;) ) depending on the position.  It also plays heck with my wife's head as well so I got a CB Euro.  This helped and I don't have that rocking feeling anymore except from my mp3 player, which is as it should be.  I do notice that when full up, going to full down, there is a position where I can feel my body being pulled forward a bit.  I'm not sure if that's considered back pressure or not.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2011, 05:03:05 AM »
It's a joke, dude !  ::)

Dude, I know that it's a joke. The problem is that not everyone has a sense of humor.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2011, 05:04:28 AM »
+1
Not just for telling you to search, but telling you you basically suck. And locking the thread. Seems like most of the regulars in here are in prison or worse, and have a problematic backup of testosterone.

Really?  I don't think that's true at all.  I don't think any of our incarcerated members are posting from prison at all (possibly Poke, I'm not sure about him, maybe work release).  ;)   As for locking threads, I do seem to enjoy that somewhat (see sig line), however that is a last resort when the members are about to virtually throttle each other and NOT saying 'you suck' with a big loud Simpson's HA HA and then locking the thread.  I've never done that, never even thought about doing that.   I could make an exception to that though,  if you really want me to.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2011, 05:05:43 AM »
Wait... are you saying you don't post here anymore because the people are too tough but in this thread you posted about.... the people being too tough? I can't put my finger on it but there is something ironic somewhere in there I think....

;D

Brian

I didn't know that Mary Jane Tinklepants had a sister?