Author Topic: My TechSpec epiphany  (Read 18269 times)

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
My TechSpec epiphany
« on: March 07, 2013, 08:58:10 AM »
When I look at the spot where my knees rub in the picture below it always bums me out. I think this would be a great spot for another TechSpec grip. What do you guys think?

If there is enough interest we could possibly get another group buy going.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: My TechSpec epiphany
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 09:00:33 AM »
Short legs? My knees rub the tank.  ;)

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 09:04:41 AM »
Who you callin short?  ;D

My Buell pegs probably make some difference over stock pegs.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 09:08:33 AM »
How the heck do you get your knees down there?  :o  Do you have the Buells mounted in the passenger peg position or what?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 09:11:35 AM »
Now that you guys point that out I don't think it is from my knees. I think it is from kicking back with the highway pegs.  :-\

I'm just saying I don't like the rub marks and covering it up with a TechSpec grip sounds like a good option.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 09:14:43 AM »
That might be a good location for the Tankslapper film.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 09:19:05 AM »
...or bedliner.

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 09:39:37 AM »
Tankslapper does make a piece for that, and I have this whole set. I was waiting for it to warm up before I tried to put anymore of it on. I like the looks of the TechSpec grips. Plus it is already scuffed up, if I put the Tankslapper piece over that area it is only going to look worse.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 10:37:11 AM by Gumby »

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 09:42:40 AM »
I have the same wear mark, but its not my knees as far as I know. Might be the side of my riding pants though. I'm in.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 10:05:30 AM »
Ya I agree, I think it's just from riding pants.

I'd be interested if they looked good, I do like the TechSpec product, quality stuff IMO!  :thumbs:

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 11:00:03 AM »
Hummmmmm....... I guess that these issues don't show up on the fastest color.  :stirpot:
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 11:31:28 AM »
Hummmmmm....... I guess that these issues don't show up on the fastest color.  :stirpot:

That's SO VERY true, no sign of this wear on my Silverdammit.    ;D

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 11:44:37 AM »
I thought I saw somewhere where you could get just plain flat snakeskin pads pretty cheaply. Just cut to fit??
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline quickwilly

• Meh
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2013, 01:40:05 PM »
Gumby,

I bout the same kit from tankslapper and installed it within the first month of ownership. The tank sides do cover the area indicated nicely, however after about 3 years of service,  the material became brittle and started to tear.

So i tossed it all and installed the Teckspec stuff this past weekend. Im also liking the Teckspec idea for the lower tank area as well.

have you had a chance to do the headlight covering yet??? It was such a pain for me, I tossed it after the third go around.
2009 Connie
2000 ZX-12R

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2013, 02:01:19 PM »
Gumby,

I bout the same kit from tankslapper and installed it within the first month of ownership. The tank sides do cover the area indicated nicely, however after about 3 years of service,  the material became brittle and started to tear.

So i tossed it all and installed the Teckspec stuff this past weekend. Im also liking the Teckspec idea for the lower tank area as well.

have you had a chance to do the headlight covering yet??? It was such a pain for me, I tossed it after the third go around.
Ya, I did one headlight and it was a pain. I did a few other areas, top of tank, fender, and a couple other small pieces. The only pieces I am happy with are the front of the saddle bags, which I took in the house and let them sit for a few days to warm up. I will probably try to put the rest of the stuff on this Spring and let it ride for a season, but I don't think the Tankslapper pieces were the wisest money spent on the Connie.  :(

Offline quickwilly

• Meh
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2013, 03:17:53 PM »
, but I don't think the Tankslapper pieces were the wisest money spent on the Connie.  :(

Agreed
2009 Connie
2000 ZX-12R

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2013, 05:50:57 AM »
I thought I saw somewhere where you could get just plain flat snakeskin pads pretty cheaply. Just cut to fit??

I did just that a couple of years ago.  I don't recommend it.  Cutting it yourself does not get the factory bevel and for some reason, in the heat, slides just a tad to show the underlying glue.  I've peeled off one and will probably peel the rest off this spring when it warms up.  Just wasn't happy with it.  It does the job, of course, but the aesthetics aren't the best.  If you can get ones designed for that piece then go that route.  The ones I have one designed and beveled have still held up.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2013, 04:52:49 PM »
I had TechSpec make me custom pieces for this, and they just showed up in the mail. I know, I know the picture is terrible (damn IPhone). Buying a new camera is on my to-do list.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 02:19:41 PM by Gumby »

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2013, 05:10:44 PM »
I like it!  8)

Are they going to put them in their line-up?  ???

Try cleaning the lens on yer phone, looks like it's just dirty or foggy...  :-\

Offline Makz58

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2013, 05:15:18 PM »
Looks good should be part of the kit in my opinion...I have the same issue but would say it is from my riding pants rubbing.
When arguing with an idiot make sure he isn't.
C-14 2010