Author Topic: Is my wheel bearing about to grenade at 3700 miles?!  (Read 13395 times)

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
Re: Is my wheel bearing about to grenade at 3700 miles?!
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2014, 04:02:53 PM »
It is a new bike.  Personally, I wouldn't go too crazy with removing and messing with things without first taking to the dealer, since it is under warranty.  Or at least don't tell them what you did (some might use it as an excuse to harass you). Hopefully you have a good dealer.

And THAT is why many of us do not take our bikes to the dealer unless absolutely necessary.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2014, 04:28:03 PM »
This is what my rear bearing on the GTR looked like after 25k miles. When I took the black seal off, the red cover was already loose

Yikes- that is crazy. 
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2014, 04:30:43 PM »

And THAT is why many of us do not take our bikes to the dealer unless absolutely necessary.

Oh, I hear ya... and totally understand
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Kwikasfuki

• Uk GTR Forum
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2014, 04:53:39 PM »
Yikes- that is crazy.

I know the person I purchased the bike from always got the bike serviced from the dealer. So either that bearing went after the last service or the dealer totally missed it.

Doesn't take long to change the bearings thankfully

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2014, 05:05:29 PM »
I know the person I purchased the bike from always got the bike serviced from the dealer. So either that bearing went after the last service or the dealer totally missed it.

Doesn't take long to change the bearings thankfully

What I am wondering is-  Was is it just a defective part?  Did it fail due to environment or some type of mistreatment?  Did it fail due to something someone did in service/assembly - like overtightening something or improper installation?

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2014, 05:53:38 PM »
Probably washed the bike.  :yikes:

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2014, 08:03:48 PM »
 :thumbs: :goodpost: :hail: :yikes: :deadhorse:   Those who wash are  :loco: :nuts:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Stephen.G.Fiddes

• They don't call me crash for nothing...
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2014, 07:14:04 AM »
Yikes!!!

Ive got to change my tires soon anyways so ill check them then.

These stock tires have gotten quite slippery... Lol.
2013 Kawasaki Concours 14 - CURRENT
2012 Yamaha V-Star 250 - WIFE'S
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R - SOLD
1982 Honda CM450E - SOLD

Offline Kwikasfuki

• Uk GTR Forum
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2014, 09:21:25 AM »
What I am wondering is-  Was is it just a defective part?  Did it fail due to environment or some type of mistreatment?  Did it fail due to something someone did in service/assembly - like overtightening something or improper installation?

Maybe the rear wheel was over torqued when fitted after a tyre change? Or it could just be a defective part as you say

Offline Cuda

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2014, 07:32:53 PM »
Or someone got happy with a pressure washer ::)
Many of lifes problems are created by good intentions.
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2014, 06:14:46 AM »
No good dead goes unpunished.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2014, 06:57:41 AM »
No good dead goes unpunished.
You have been watching too much Judge Judy

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2014, 10:46:25 AM »
or trying to type without my glasses on...

Offline Riverszzr

• Lloyd's Motorcycle Performance Center
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2014, 11:20:09 AM »
deed, dead we all understood what you meant

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2014, 11:40:51 AM »
or trying to type without my glass FULL.....

Fixd that for ya Jim....  8) ;)

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2014, 12:25:21 PM »
You got that right.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2014, 12:25:52 PM »

I didn't even NOTICE the misspelling.  I just know that is one of Judge Judy's favorite sayings.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2014, 03:00:37 PM »
Doesn't mean we're letting him off scott free.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2014, 04:31:38 PM »
I expect no less..

Offline Spikey01

• Badgers? We don't need no steenking Badgers!
    • Michael Hamilton Web Design
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2014, 10:54:27 PM »
Are you sure it's the front wheel? I had similar symptoms last year. The squeaking noise apparently coming from the front end seeming to be in rhythm with the wheels spinning. I was dead certain it was either the brakes or something rubbing on the front end. It was not. It was the rear wheel bearing going south. The squeaking noise would get louder as I accelerated, and quieter as I got off the throttle. At times it seemed to disappear completely. Then...
...riding up PCH on a mellow day trip to Santa Barbara from Van Nuys to have lunch on my 2009 C-14 with 19.5K on it. Just before Summerland I start hearing "CLUNK CLUNK CLACK CLUNKITY." Coming from somewhere, and I think I feel a slight vibration. So many tar strips, rough section, don't know if it's me or the road. I pull off the next off ramp. Yes, it's me. Very slight vibration and an oh-so-faint wobble. Drive up and down the side road. Stop, get off check all over. Looking for something rubbing or hanging off, because that's what it felt/sounded like. Nothing. No smell. Limp it into town, CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK. Call a tow truck. Find a local dealer. Have lunch. Mechanic at the dealer thinks it is coming from the rear end. Says it's serious. Take the train home.
A few days later, phone call. The rear wheel bearing has failed. Fortunately, covered under warranty. Picked it up yesterday. Several balls in the bearing are completely missing. Rubber seal messed up.
As to the probable cause... The dealer suspected that when I had the rear tire changed because of a flat a few months earlier, the tech had over torqued the rear wheel axle. The tire was replaced at a Honda shop that was not an authorized Kawasaki dealer. The Kawi mechanic said the Concours is the most sensitive bike on the road to torque specs. Just a little bit off either way, especially on the axles, and you can have problems. That could be a bit of a stretch, but something caused the rear bearing to fail. Either that, or Kawasaki is using some very substandard bearings.
So even though it sounds like it's coming from the front end, it may very well be coming from the rear. And there's no cure except to replace the bearing. My rear bearing looked about as bad as Kwikasfuki's. It was completely covered by the warranty, BTW. And there's no such thing as an idiot charge.
Michael Hamilton

...and Bob's your uncle.