Author Topic: battery test  (Read 2015 times)

Offline roadie

• RIP:2009 ABS....Welcome 2015 Black
battery test
« on: June 23, 2014, 05:30:32 AM »
Hey fellas, been absent for a minute.  Crohn's kicked my tail for about a year so no riding...I have been keeping busy though...As a novice mechanic I bit the bullet and have been on an arduous adventure of rebuilding my Powerstroke 6.0 engine.  Almost as fun as my Valve Job adventure on the Connie :-).  Funny to think that the engine weighs almost twice that of my Connie.  Took her out, and down all the way to the block.  block, heads, machined, ARP studs, new oil cooler, EGR, lots of OEM updates, new sensors, FICM update.  Turbo rebuild, starter,  If it has a screw its been removed, and rebuilt.  Learned a lot.  But not enough about batteries....Connie's been so neglected, that the battery was toast this morning...haven't ridden much in months, as my buddy loaned me an old TownCar while by Truck's been down.  Enough of 4-wheels and back to 2-wheels:

So, Im not too sharp on how to test batteries, but did slap my meter on it, zip, plugged in trickle for 3 hours, and afterwards registered 12.4V on meter, and 12 on bike,  Bike slams hard to 14v as soon as its moving.  My question is, should there be another test I should be running to validate health?  Cold cranking amps comes to mind as I'm familiar with that term as it relates to my 2 big arse Truck batteries.  Batteries about 5 years old now.

Will
Will

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: battery test
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 05:50:32 AM »
Good to see you back Will. Replace the battery.

Offline roadie

• RIP:2009 ABS....Welcome 2015 Black
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 06:06:30 AM »
Good to see you back Will. Replace the battery.

Thanks Gpink

who is the community favorite right now for such purchases?  Ron Ayers for batteries?  I'm quite out of the loop on new developments for C14.
Will

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 06:22:05 AM »
Can't help you there. I got mine from my local shop. Seems there was a battery thread not to long ago.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 06:45:59 AM »
Good to hear from you again!  I use the MotoBatt AGM battery...

12V bike battery sources
Stock battery FTZ14-BS Furakawa - dealer sourced most likely (expensive)
AGM MBTX12U 14AH http://www.murphskits.com (I have this and it's working fine, no issues)
Shorai battery LFX21A6-BS12  Tender SHO-BMS01
Battery Stuff  http://www.batterystuff.com/powersports-batteries/sYTX14-BS.html

Murph doesn't stock that battery anymore but you can source it at other vendors if you Google it.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Jim M.

• 2008 C-14
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 08:09:14 AM »
Batteries need to be load tested to determine health. It's more the amperage that is important than the voltage. Under a load test with a bad battery, the voltage will drop significantly if the amperage is low. However without the load, the battery could clearly show a full charge and would appear to be good with a standard voltage meter.  Any automotive store carries battery load testers.
 By the way, I feel your pain with the 6.0 as my head gaskets were failing for the second time. I finally had enough of the diesel maintenance and repair expense, so I just traded for a gasser. Yeah, the diesel pulled great, but this gas engine(5.4) is much cheaper to operate and I just test pulled our camper trailer with it and it and it does fine. I don't miss it.

Offline clogan

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 08:10:25 AM »
Got my new AGM battery earlier this spring from Batterymart.com. $49.95 to my door, IIRC.
I have previously bought AGM batteries from them for my Wave Runner, and my KLR, and have been completely satisfied.

Good luck with the Crohn's...that's a tough hand you've been dealt.
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

Offline rocknrod

• 2013 C14 - Blue
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 05:16:46 PM »
See I can't even look that up (Chron's) I'll end up thinking I have it  :-X
Good to see your doing well  ;)
Master Chief, US Navy, Retired
2013 C14 Blue, Fenda Extenda, Radiator Screen, HeliBars, Glove Box Mod, 3M paint Protector, Rostra Cruise Control, TechSpec Tank Grips, Lowering Links and Side Stand, Front lowered, Lowered center stand, Balwin Seat.