Author Topic: Old School biker check  (Read 2908 times)

Offline Leo

Old School biker check
« on: June 30, 2011, 10:52:20 AM »
I was talking to a young man and offered a solution to his flat tire problem.   He had never heard of a technique I thought was universal.   

My question is: How many fix a flat tire by patching the inner tube without taking the wheel off the motorcycle?   How long has it been since you did this?   I did it on the grand kids moped last week. 
Yep, still riding the old one

In Indiana, missing Texas

Offline Strawboss

Re: Old School biker check
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 11:34:22 AM »
I've done it on a bicycle before, back in my youth. But on a bicycle it was so easy to take the wheel off, why not do it.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline wildwilly

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 12:08:21 PM »
If I have a tube tires and am carrying a tube patch kit and a way to inflate the tire, that's exactly how I'd do it.

Last time I did that was somewhere between Titusville and Port St. Lucie, many years ago.  I actually had to walk to a gas station to buy a patch kit and borrow a portable air service bottle.  The gas station manager actually had a guy drive me back to the bike in the tow-truck free of charge.  This was back in the day when there were full service gas stations and friendly gas station managers.

Offline altmann

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 02:50:34 PM »
A-10 BSA, Taft CA, June 1970, Front tire. Just out of the USN and headed home to Seattle from Long Beach. An old Triumph rider showed me how.

Full service stations.....remember the uniforms (and the HATS!!!!) ;D ;D
2002 Concours, 2001 W650, AMA Charter Life Member

Offline booger

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 04:53:13 PM »
I used to on my Zundapp mopeds.  But there wasn't much bead on the tires.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 05:08:43 PM »
This was back in the day when there were full service gas stations and friendly gas station managers.

Full service stations.....remember the uniforms (and the HATS!!!!) ;D ;D

Oh cool, I'm not the only ol' fart on the forum.  :D

I use to do this on my old tubed street bikes and I'd use the heat patches (Sears I think) that needed a clamp and had a a tray with dry fuel attached to them.
I had to clamp them to the tube, ignite the fuel and sort of melt the patch onto the tube. Let it cool and slowly peel the tray off the patch before stuffing the tube
back into the tire. I never had one leak. When I switched to dirt bikes I quit leaving the wheel on the bike because I had more trouble with the knobbies and I'd end up
pinching the tube and making a second hole to patch.  :-[

Offline shreveportSS

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 07:36:09 AM »
Oh cool, I'm not the only ol' fart on the forum.  :D

I use to do this on my old tubed street bikes and I'd use the heat patches (Sears I think) that needed a clamp and had a a tray with dry fuel attached to them.
I had to clamp them to the tube, ignite the fuel and sort of melt the patch onto the tube. Let it cool and slowly peel the tray off the patch before stuffing the tube
back into the tire. I never had one leak. When I switched to dirt bikes I quit leaving the wheel on the bike because I had more trouble with the knobbies and I'd end up
pinching the tube and making a second hole to patch.  :-[

I still have a few of those hot patches and some scar tissue on my hand to match.
2011 Concours 14
2011 ZX1000GBF Ninja. Died Dec. 1st, 2012
2012 ZX1000HBF Ninja.

YoDoc

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 07:52:14 AM »
I know the theory, and did it on bicycles, but have never owned a motorcycle with tubed tires.

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 09:15:29 AM »
Have done (way) in the past, but only my dirt bikes still have tubed tires. And I usually yank the tube and install a new one as I don't need a flat on the race bikes from some patch coming loose.

Offline mjrfd99

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2011, 08:58:47 AM »
Still do it. Hopefully never again but there's alot of tube m/c's and bicycles in garages