Author Topic: Hobbit Needs Lowering Kit and/or different seat  (Read 3835 times)

Offline Still Vertical

Hobbit Needs Lowering Kit and/or different seat
« on: July 27, 2011, 12:49:23 PM »
At 5'8" I've only dropped it twice, BUT it would be so nice to sit flat footed on this bike.  Murph doesn't have a lowering kit.  I bought the tip over bars and they are great.
1. Anyone bought a lowering kit?  If so, where did you get it and how much did it lower the bike?
2. Any suggestions on a seat manufacturer that might be lower and / or  more narrow?

thanks in advance for your help.

Damian

Offline Roadhound

• Arena
Re: Hobbit Needs Lowering Kit and/or different seat
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 01:39:37 PM »
You didn't mention the year of your bike, if its a 94 or later you might want to try an early model seat. The pre 94 seat sets you just a touch higher but it's not as wide as the later model seat which makes it a little easier to get your feet on the ground. Don't get hung up on needing to get your feet flat on the ground, I've been riding Concours since 1990 and have never been able to flat foot on it. It's not a handicap. I would only consider lowering the bike as an absolute last resort. It might make you a little more comfortable when stopped, but you will give up valuable cornering clearance which you can never have enough of.
Don Ricks
Atlanta, Ga.

"Ride or Ride not, there is no drive."

Offline jim snyder

• Arena
  • I'm married but my girlfriends name is Connie
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 02:28:58 PM »
At 5'8" I've only dropped it twice, BUT it would be so nice to sit flat footed on this bike.  Murph doesn't have a lowering kit.  I bought the tip over bars and they are great.
1. Anyone bought a lowering kit?  If so, where did you get it and how much did it lower the bike?
2. Any suggestions on a seat manufacturer that might be lower and / or  more narrow?

thanks in advance for your help.

Damian

Norm Sourcy was the man who made the lowering links, you can contact him at (281) 339-1156. If he still makes them ask him to post something on the forum again.
As far as lowered seats either an old style seat or a cut down new style seat. I have one of each, if you are interested PM me and I'll make you a deal on either one.
"Somedays you're the windshield, and somedays you're the bug"
"An armed citizen is a patriot, and unarmed citizen is a victim"

http://community.webshots.com/user/kawadude

Offline Cavosie

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 09:57:06 AM »
At 5'8" I've only dropped it twice, BUT it would be so nice to sit flat footed on this bike. 

Damian

I chuckled at the post title and then realized that Damian is describing ME as well!  So I'm also interested in the feedback/progress.

And I'm heading out now for 2nd Breakfast.

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 01:29:35 PM »
I find that these help...

Google search for KISS men's platform shoes

j/k!  ;D

You might check Ebay from time to time, as well as here, for a Concours lowering link, although the search I just did there is only turning up ZG1400 lowering links...

I did see that Race Tech makes a lowering kit for the forks.  Don't know anything about that one though, and it looked a little pricey on Bikebandit...
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline elvin315

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 02:45:16 PM »
There are no lowering kits per se since there's no real money in them. Most Connies are lowered for free to. Read the lowering FAQ to find out the tricks. I'm 5'8" myself and have never felt the need to lower since I like max ground clearance but I do reduce the rear preload if I feel the need to lower. Norm Soucy is the guy that invented the lowering link but I'm not sure he's still in business. There are instructions to making your own in the FAQ among other techniques.

Read the FAQs. FAQs is good.
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=578.0