Author Topic: Rear diff/ moly paste  (Read 4984 times)

Offline h2smokin

Rear diff/ moly paste
« on: October 25, 2014, 03:01:03 PM »
Curious how much of this moly paste to actually apply on rear diff before I reinstall wheel. Cleaned everything since I had the wheel off to have a new tire put on. Do I just brush a thin layer on the gear that inserts into the wheel or should I pack some into the wheel also, thanks

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: Rear diff/ moly paste
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 03:59:20 PM »
The smallest amount possible and only between the splines, not on top or down at the bottom of them. What you want is a light coating between the splines where they contact each other. I normally use a Q-tip to dab the stuff between the splines on the final drive and as long as there is any at all, I call it good. You absolutely do not want to pack the splines full because it is a total waste of paste plus all the excess will be flung onto your rear wheel anyway.... where you will have to clean it up.

A small tube of the Honda moly paste, which I think is about 3 oz., should last a lifetime (a human lifetime- several motorcycle lifetimes).

Brian

Curious how much of this moly paste to actually apply on rear diff before I reinstall wheel. Cleaned everything since I had the wheel off to have a new tire put on. Do I just brush a thin layer on the gear that inserts into the wheel or should I pack some into the wheel also, thanks
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 04:30:52 PM »
I normally use a Q-tip to dab the stuff between the splines on the final drive...

I use those flux brushes...they work great for coating the splines.

http://www.amazon.com/Hot-Max-24178-Plumbing-Includes/dp/B00D86HZG0
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline h2smokin

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 05:06:03 PM »
I have one of those little brushes I thought of using so I'm good there. Thanks for the input. Off to get her done since this is the 2nd weekend without bike and I want to ride tomorrow

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 08:09:07 PM »
I use those flux brushes...they work great for coating the splines.

http://www.amazon.com/Hot-Max-24178-Plumbing-Includes/dp/B00D86HZG0

+2, though mine is Aeon.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline dolomoto

• '08 C14 "Hot, Nasty, Bad-Ass Speed"
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 04:54:05 PM »
... You absolutely do not want to pack the splines full because it is a total waste of paste plus all the excess will be flung onto your rear wheel anyway.... where you will have to clean it up.

I think this is what happened to me. I did not use moly and basically slapped a bunch of wheel bearing grease on there. Either that, or I have a moderately expensive problem.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=18247.15

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 06:47:53 PM »
That is what that looks like to me- the hub flinging the grease off the face of the drive where it piled up when the wheel was installed. If it was leaking actual rear end grease, it would be more in volume, look black and puddle.

Really, an extreme pressure lube should be used rather than chassis grease (or any petroleum or synthetic grease at all). And you will only need a volume of about three kernels of sweet corn to entirely lube the shaft (Easy Everybody!).

Brian

I think this is what happened to me. I did not use moly and basically slapped a bunch of wheel bearing grease on there. Either that, or I have a moderately expensive problem.

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 07:13:12 PM »
anything honda rocks!  ;D

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

jirod

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2015, 07:57:30 PM »

Those are not metal chips all over the wheel, are they?  Can't tell for sure on the photo.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2015, 08:02:42 PM »
anything honda rocks!  ;D

Oh behave, Steve..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2015, 03:54:57 PM »
Oh behave, Steve..

huh!?  I'm an angel
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2015, 04:40:45 PM »
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2015, 09:09:22 AM »
I don't know what brought about all this chatter, as we all know HONDA parts on our bikes are second only to the mad pow-ah of KiPass  ;D