Author Topic: ZX-14 shocks or forks work on Concours?  (Read 9691 times)

Offline jjsC6

ZX-14 shocks or forks work on Concours?
« on: August 10, 2011, 08:52:24 PM »
I got to thinking about this the other day.  The ZX shocks and forks have more adjustment (rebound and compression damping) and I wonder if they are bolt on for the Concours.  I'm guessing that it would not be hard to find ZX parts for sale as folks upgrade them.  Another possibility is that the internals of the fork could be fitted to the Concours tubes.  It would be an alternate to the expensive Ohlins that some folks have been using recently.

Anyone know if they would work?
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline baddean

Re: ZX-14 shocks or forks work on Concours?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 10:15:31 PM »
Hey JJ,
I have installed ZX14 forks on my C14. They've been on for about a year now. I couldn't get the front end to feel the way I wanted it to with out being able to adjust the compression damping so off to E-bay I went.
Yes they are a bolt on replacement ( kind of). From axle center to the top of the fork cap the ZX forks are about 4mm longer than the C14 forks. It wasn't a problem because they will slide up in the triple clamp under the handle bar risers far enough to allow for the difference in length.
Here is the "kind of". The ZX14 weighs about 120 pounds less than the C14. The C14 comes with 1.2 kg springs and the ZX14 comes with .95kg springs.
I contacted Traxxion Dynamics and they got on their computer and did some "computing" for me regarding whether or not the ZX14 stock damping rates would work with the heavier springs I would have to install to use the forks on the C14. Turns out the stock damping rates and range of adjustment would work for what I wanted to do. This may vary depending on how much you weigh.
I opted for 1.15kg springs for the ZX14 forks that I installed and I am very happy with the results. Much improved front end feel and ride quality.
I run a 180/55 Michelin PR2 on the rear and a Pilot Power 2CT on the front. The 2CT was an experiment because I was going through 2 rears to 1 front  and thought if I put a more sport oriented tire on the front I would get better grip and possibly use it up at about the same rate as the rear. Turns out this is working out better than I had anticipated. I've got 7200 miles on them now and just got back from a trip to Colorado and back to Ohio and they have plenty more in them with minimal flat spotting from the slab home.
The other thing I noticed with the 2CT is better front end feel (planted and finishes corners better when accelerating out) and better slow speed steering. Because the 2CT is a little more triangulated than the PR2 the bike is a little twitchy at speeds upwards of 100mph or so but it isn't a deal breaker.
I only mentioned the tire choices for me because I'm picky about how my bikes handle and I usually spend my money there before anywhere else. Didn't want this to be another tire thread!!! ::)
So far the shocks have done everything I've needed them to do.
Dean

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 12:05:20 AM »
^^^^^great stuff posted right there.

I haven't ran a 180/55 on the rear of my 6.5" rims since the 190/55's have become available.  The 2CTs on my C14 handled better but the heavy bike gobbled them in no time and the PR3's aren't a race tire but still handle and stop better than I ever imagined.

Rear shock, if I recall my Zx14 rear wouldn't adjust on the fly for light load and passenger or luggage such as ours. Maybe I didn't try enough back in '06 to remember.

Ohlins makes a nice rear shock, you can contact Matt Sage from motorcycle group at 828-692-4525 ext. 308
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 05:42:47 AM »
Dean - fantastic information.  Thanks!

Steve, I'm not interested in spending the money on the Ohlins.  I just don't see the bang for the buck.
Jim
Current bikes....

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 06:25:27 AM »
Hmm, looks like I have found a winter project.  I will have to give Traxxion or Race Tech a call. 
Sounds like a good "bang for the buck" modification, as long as I can buy stock ZX14 forks at a reasonable price.  There are several on fleaBay for under $200.  I assume that I will need to find forks for an 07 or newer, or will the 2006 work as well?
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 06:26:26 AM »
Dean - fantastic information.  Thanks!

Steve, I'm not interested in spending the money on the Ohlins.  I just don't see the bang for the buck.

Well, then I'd say you've never tried Ohlins. My experience is on my race bike, and I had good shocks on there to begin with. The Ohlins tech said "try 'em" and I did and night and day difference.

That said, they're ungodly expensive, so if you're happy with what you have and didn't just win the lottery, stick with what you've got.

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 06:36:43 AM »
Well, then I'd say you've never tried Ohlins. My experience is on my race bike, and I had good shocks on there to begin with. The Ohlins tech said "try 'em" and I did and night and day difference.

That said, they're ungodly expensive, so if you're happy with what you have and didn't just win the lottery, stick with what you've got.

I don't doubt they are that good.  It all about the money.  I have a lot of things always on my list of stuff I'd like to buy for the motorcycles, cars (my other toy is a Z06 Corvette) house etc.  I can't afford them all so like most of us I have to prioritize what I spend my money on.  You also have to understand the roads we have to work with out of the Houston area.  I am not fortunate enough to have great roads right outside my door.  If I was still racing (did that nearly 30 years ago) then the Ohlins would be a no-brainer.  Back then I put "Fox" shocks on my 750F Honda.  They were the cats meow back then.

I just looked at E-bay.  There are a few forks and shocks available.  I'd be more concerned about buying forks in that they usually come off of wrecked bikes - some of them on E-bay do say they are bent.  Shocks on the other hand are frequently upgraded, and are not as likely to be damaged in a crash anyway.  There are several sets available.  But I still have no idea if they are interchangeable or not.  Where's Fred when we need him?
Jim
Current bikes....

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 07:03:35 AM »

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 07:23:50 AM »
Here
http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php

I know, I just don't need another forum in my life.  But thanks for the link.  I guess I should add it to my list.
Jim
Current bikes....

Offline speedracersworld

• 817-821-0448
    • Speedracersworld
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2021, 10:52:29 AM »
Bringing up an old post: I just bought a set of ZX14 forks that were listed as C14. Mine is an 08 with ABS however the forks I (knowingly) bought do not have the holes drilled for my ABS Sensor. I'm having my machinist friend mill the holes for the sensor. There's more adjustability with the ZX 14 forks. Main reason I replaced mine are, both seals started leaking bad after I hit a Freeway asphalt to concrete abutting "Speed bump". Will update on the upgrade.
There's more to Life than the Mainstream Media or "Reality" TV! Question Everything!

2008 Atomic Silver C-14

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2021, 12:48:38 PM »
I just sent a pair of ZX14 forks off to be rebuilt for my 08 C14.
I made sure I got them with the ABS sensor mount. 😁
I'm having them revalved and resprung for my weight on the C14 as well as having the tubes rechromed.
Going to cost me nearly $1200 total but still way cheaper than just about any other alternative.
If that works, then I'll be looking for a new shock.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2021, 04:11:08 PM »
I bought a sedt of ZX14 forks on ebay for less than $400. I bought them new from a company that built race cars. They bought ZX14s for the motor abd resold the rest.

I had the forks reworked by GP Suspensions and bought proper weight springs from them.

I  machined the right bottom myself for the ABS sensor. It took a little trial and error to get the spacing right but it works.

I have an Ohlins on the rear.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.