Author Topic: Shaky handle bars, after adding slip on?  (Read 1698 times)

Offline Tylerkaz

Shaky handle bars, after adding slip on?
« on: April 03, 2021, 03:43:55 PM »
Noticed my handle bars shaking on deceleration when taking pressure off handle bars after changing out stock muffler for a slip on. (It did not do this before) I also added a shad 59x trunk during the same time. So i took the trunk off to see and still have the same issue. The front forks are adjusted all the way in then 1 click back. Could the weight change of the old muffler make the difference or something else? What is the best solution, will bar end weights help?

Thanks

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Shaky handle bars, after adding slip on?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2021, 04:14:08 PM »
I don't think the muffler change could account for those symptoms.  At reasonable speeds, it can't have any significant aerodynamic impact.  And weight- you are talking about what, 1%?  That shouldn't matter.  You say on "deceleration", I assume you mean letting off the throttle but without using the brakes, so that would throw out that system.

Could you have accidentally lost a front tire balance weight?
Could it have had those symptoms before and you didn't notice?  Or perhaps they were less noticeable?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Tylerkaz

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2021, 05:49:32 PM »
I know it didnt do it before adding slip on. I did take it in to get tpms fixed and they rebalenced tiers but didn’t notice any difrence ( this was before adding slip on and trunk) . Ushaly dose it around 40mph. Also i did adjust the front forks with the nob on top to stiffen them up. I know my old honda cm 400 shook around 30mph.

Offline PeteTN_zgtr

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2021, 08:05:04 PM »
I would guess something changed with the front tire balance, either not balanced as well or like Max said, threw a weight. Low speed handlebar shake is typically a poorly balanced front tire.

Offline Tylerkaz

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2021, 08:22:24 PM »
I would guess something changed with the front tire balance, either not balanced as well or like Max said, threw a weight. Low speed handlebar shake is typically a poorly balanced front tire.

If thats the case wouldn’t it do it at highway speeds also and not just on deceleration?  Or is the pressure on handelbars enough to stabilize it?

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2021, 11:10:35 PM »
I know it didnt do it before adding slip on. I did take it in to get tpms fixed and they rebalenced tiers but didn’t notice any difrence ( this was before adding slip on and trunk) . Ushaly dose it around 40mph. Also i did adjust the front forks with the nob on top to stiffen them up. I know my old honda cm 400 shook around 30mph.
Tyler, I know that you’re certain that it wasn’t doing it before the slip on, but I agree with Max.  Is it possible that you may not have been paying as close attention to this before putting on the slip on?  Also, having the wheels off and rebalanced, it is possible that a weight was thrown off?

That being said, every motorcycle, depending on the geometry/rake of the front end, will induce some type of oscillation at a certain speed.  It is always more noticeable when you either take your hands off the bars or take your weight of the bars.  If the tires are cupped, which is very common with this heavy bike, it will make the oscillation even more pronounced.  Just food for thought.   
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2021, 06:30:47 AM »
Quite often the handlebar shake you describe is a result of worn or maladjusted steering neck bearings. Did you adjust the forks before or after noticing the shake?

Offline Justcliff

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2021, 06:39:53 AM »
Quite often the handlebar shake you describe is a result of worn or maladjusted steering neck bearings. Did you adjust the forks before or after noticing the shake?

This was my 1st thought also, loose head bearings are the most likely problem.
Cliff

2008 C14, 250,000 miles & counting!  2014 V-Strom 1000
IBA#66047

Offline Tylerkaz

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2021, 08:32:32 AM »
Tyler, I know that you’re certain that it wasn’t doing it before the slip on, but I agree with Max.  Is it possible that you may not have been paying as close attention to this before putting on the slip on?  Also, having the wheels off and rebalanced, it is possible that a weight was thrown off?

That being said, every motorcycle, depending on the geometry/rake of the front end, will induce some type of oscillation at a certain speed.  It is always more noticeable when you either take your hands off the bars or take your weight of the bars.  If the tires are cupped, which is very common with this heavy bike, it will make the oscillation even more pronounced.  Just food for thought.

Its posible i didn’t notice after having it rebalenced (dealer took wheels off and rebalenced to do tpms)  id think i would have noiced it on the 80+ mile ride back from dealer if it was difrent then. iv put about 1k miles on it since i got it. I know it didn’t do it when i first got it becuse i thought wow this thing is much more balenced than my old bike when taking hands off handelbars. But i did notice it the first test ride (within a couple of miles ) right after slip on and adding trunk, and adjusting front fork. ( bike was sitting about a week due to weather so all that was done durring that time) i also added lugage gaurds but this was after i noticed shaking and did not effect it.

Offline Tylerkaz

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2021, 08:40:27 AM »

Right before my test ride. but by adjust i just ment the pre loading , ( just turining the black plastic nob on front forks) also dealer did front fork seals before i purchased it (not that i compleatly trust the dealer but i did see them working on forks before i origanly bought it, they did miss the tpms low battery at least they fixed that later after i noticed the alarm)

Offline Stasch

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2021, 08:04:27 AM »

+1 on steering stem adjustment as the cause.

Tire balance issues would be felt all the time, not just when letting go of the bars.
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline Tylerkaz

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2021, 10:49:39 AM »
+1 on steering stem adjustment as the cause.

Tire balance issues would be felt all the time, not just when letting go of the bars.

I did not adjust the searing stem just the rebound dampening force adjuster thats on top of both forks ( the one with a black plastic nob that can be turned by hand, i did not use any tools to do this)

Offline PH14

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2021, 02:08:30 PM »
I did not adjust the searing stem just the rebound dampening force adjuster thats on top of both forks ( the one with a black plastic nob that can be turned by hand, i did not use any tools to do this)

Put the damping adjustment back to where it was before you noticed the shake. Also, are you sure you have the right and left adjusters at the same position?  A lot of bikes shake a bit on deceleration. There are a lot of factors involved in why a bike might do that, but there is a chance that your adjustment induced it.

The best way to troubleshoot, is to change one thing at a time and see if it makes a difference. If that change doesn't, put it back the way it was, then try another change. I would put your damping adjusters back to where they were before you adjusted them.

I highly doubt the weight difference of the muffler would cause it. I can load my bike, and not have any shake, and unload it, and not have shake. the same holds for carrying a passenger, so the small weight difference of a muffler should make no difference.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2021, 02:12:44 PM »
what we're suggesting is maybe you need to.

Offline Tylerkaz

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2021, 03:34:37 PM »
Put the damping adjustment back to where it was before you noticed the shake. Also, are you sure you have the right and left adjusters at the same position?  A lot of bikes shake a bit on deceleration. There are a lot of factors involved in why a bike might do that, but there is a chance that your adjustment induced it.

The best way to troubleshoot, is to change one thing at a time and see if it makes a difference. If that change doesn't, put it back the way it was, then try another change. I would put your damping adjusters back to where they were before you adjusted them.

I highly doubt the weight difference of the muffler would cause it. I can load my bike, and not have any shake, and unload it, and not have shake. the same holds for carrying a passenger, so the small weight difference of a muffler should make no difference.

Problem is i wasnt paying attention to the previous setting. I turned them all the way down then backed off 1 click so they should be the same. I guse thats the first thing i could try is difrent settings on dampening. Manual says 5 clicks out for avrage conditions so ill try that first. I cant realy put old exhuast back on because part of the conecting pipe is broken. I only thought of weight because i always see warnings about loading motorcycles evenly thats why i jumped to that conclusion.

Offline Tylerkaz

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2021, 03:41:58 PM »
what we're suggesting is maybe you need to.

I have no experiance with adjusting the front end, so please bare with me... why would it need it all of the sudden? Can it vibrate loose? In under 1k miles i wouldn’t think somthing would change but im no expert. Ill take a look at service manual for stem adjustment. It just seemed like a suden / dramatic change to me. Expecialy feeling it within first couple of miles from my house. 

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2021, 04:23:06 PM »
Sounds like you have a head shake, not a balance problem.
I had a similar problem on a tire. Don't remember brand, but think it was Shinko or Avon.
Initially, the tire was fine. But after 1-2000 miles it would shake on decell.
The tire manufacturer replaced both front/rear tires and the problem went away.

Sorry that I don't recall exact detail.
Try doing a search of the Forum. Might be able to find the discussions.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2021, 06:28:52 PM »
Could you give us some basic bike info ... year, mileage, brand and condition of front tire and the mileage on the tire. Check to make sure the wheel spins freely when on the center stand. Make sure the brake calipers are centered and not dragging. When the bike is on it's wheels with you straddling hold the front brake and bounce the front end to be sure there is no fork stiction on the rebound stroke. With the bike on the center stand keep the front wheel in the air and move the front end by the wheel back and forth lock to lock and check smoothness. Making sure you don't pull it off the stand take hold of the wheel and try to move it fore and aft to see if there is any play in the stem bearings. I'm assuming that you have checked the tire pressure. Try these things and let us know your findings.

Offline Stasch

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2021, 06:12:59 AM »
Sounds like you have a head shake, not a balance problem.
I had a similar problem on a tire. Don't remember brand, but think it was Shinko or Avon.
Initially, the tire was fine. But after 1-2000 miles it would shake on decell.
The tire manufacturer replaced both front/rear tires and the problem went away.

Sorry that I don't recall exact detail.
Try doing a search of the Forum. Might be able to find the discussions.

Ride safe, Ted

Years ago my C10 had hands free head shake on decel coming down through 50 - 45 mph as did my Voyager XII (This is not uncommon on heavier bikes especially).  New front tires would make it go away until they had some wear.  Then the head shake would return.  Once the the steering head bearings were adjusted correctly, the problem went away permanently.

Since this suddenly appeared after some changes, I would look there first.

My bet is the damper adjuster.  Play with that to see if you can mediate some or all of the head shake.  If the head shake lessens as you firm it up, its possible it was snugged down before you changed it, masking the root cause of loose steering head bearing adjustment.
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline PH14

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2021, 10:20:10 AM »
Problem is i wasnt paying attention to the previous setting. I turned them all the way down then backed off 1 click so they should be the same. I guse thats the first thing i could try is difrent settings on dampening. Manual says 5 clicks out for avrage conditions so ill try that first. I cant realy put old exhuast back on because part of the conecting pipe is broken. I only thought of weight because i always see warnings about loading motorcycles evenly thats why i jumped to that conclusion.

I honestly don't think it possible for the exhaust to induce the issue, so I wouldn't worry about it. I don't know your weight, but you dialed in a lot of damping, I would back it off and see if it improves.