Author Topic: Our Government at work  (Read 9684 times)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Our Government at work
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2014, 04:17:05 PM »
 :banana :banana :banana

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2014, 04:43:43 PM »
Just don't know what to say.....

"They'll let anybody be the governor of California" ~ Jesse Ventura

Hey Mr. Pink,

The whole thing reminds me of all the windmills they're erecting around here...it's a whole new bustling industry in itself. The interesting part is...if the private sector had to pay for them and invest in them all on their own, there wouldn't be a single windmill on the planet...lol.

Talk about tax dollars at work...

Rem;)
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2014, 05:38:36 PM »
"They'll let anybody be the governor of California" ~ Jesse Ventura

Hey Mr. Pink,

The whole thing reminds me of all the windmills they're erecting around here...it's a whole new bustling industry in itself. The interesting part is...if the private sector had to pay for them and invest in them all on their own, there wouldn't be a single windmill on the planet...lol.

Talk about tax dollars at work...

Rem;)

There is a 240 mill wind farm across east central ILL-inois that cost in the neighborhood of 1 billion dollars to develop. ROI numbers are hard to come by.  :hitfan:

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2014, 05:48:26 PM »
There is a 240 mill wind farm across east central ILL-inois that cost in the neighborhood of 1 billion dollars to develop. ROI numbers are hard to come by.

I bet the ROI numbers ARE hard to come by...lol.

“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2014, 06:25:19 PM »
OK, humor me, what's "ROI"?
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2014, 06:27:48 PM »
return on investment

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2014, 06:33:30 PM »
If one child does not die from a lung disease because the gov't invested trillions on wind turbines to replace evil coal, then the investment was worth all the money, right?

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2014, 06:43:11 PM »
<sigh> evil coal

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2014, 06:56:20 PM »
I burn coal in my stove in the garage, I love the smell of coal in the morning, it smells of victory.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2014, 05:54:55 AM »
And how much does it cost to print more money? Plus, when more money is printed it devalues the dollar so it costs everyone more. Instant "tax increase".
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2014, 06:01:07 AM »
If one child does not die from a lung disease because the gov't invested trillions on wind turbines to replace evil coal, then the investment was worth all the money, right?
Never heard of a power plant killing anyone but windmill farms are killing animals.
The same animals the tree huggers try to protect by stopping loggging and coal fired power plants.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2014, 08:15:12 AM »

+1  :thumbs: I love it when people try to use that augment. My answer is: considering millions of children on the edge of subsistence and the fact that every morsel of food, every stitch of clothing and every plank of shelter is dependent on energy to produce them, how many children with die from exposure or starvation if we raise the cost of energy, world wide, by 2x? If we do away with coal and try to replace with wind or solar farms the cost would go up by more than 2x.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2014, 08:34:49 AM »
It would accomplish the leftist goal of reducing the human population on earth.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2014, 08:50:23 AM »
It would accomplish the leftist goal of reducing the human population on earth.

Bingo! Something they will never admit but is in fact part of the communist manifesto.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2014, 02:43:03 PM »
Never heard of a power plant killing anyone but windmill farms are killing animals.
The same animals the tree huggers try to protect by stopping loggging and coal fired power plants.

Maybe not the plants themselves, but plenty of miners have died from black lung and mine explosions and cave ins..

More info http://quitcoal.org/clean-coal

I'm not a tree hugger by any stretch of the imagination, nor am I fan of nuclear power.  I just couldn't let that comment 'Never heard of a power plant killing anyone' go by..  Anything that man does to affect the environment kills something whether it's us or some form of animal life.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2014, 05:29:17 PM »
Maybe not the plants themselves, but plenty of miners have died from black lung and mine explosions and cave ins..

I'm not a tree hugger by any stretch of the imagination, nor am I fan of nuclear power.  I just couldn't let that comment 'Never heard of a power plant killing anyone' go by..  Anything that man does to affect the environment kills something whether it's us or some form of animal life.

Underground coal mining used to provide a lot of jobs where I live, but after the last underground explosion in 1992, they've all been closed for a couple decades now. 17 men died in that particular mine. The last big underground mine that closed laid off 3300 men all in one shot.

The joke around here is that...if you re-opened one of the dangerous underground mines again, there'd be a line of men waiting to go work in them. The dangers have been forgotten...but the good paying jobs have not.
(And lets be honest...the industrial 'workplace' is much safer today than it was 20-30 years ago...by a long shot).

We still produce a little of our own coal by strip-mining....but the rest comes in by ship from places like Venezuela....or Pennsylvania?...anyway, it seems ridiculous...but it works, and my lights are still on...lol.

I'm not pro-nuclear...but I'm not really against it either. If it wasn't for Three Mile Island and Chernobyl (Or more recently, Japan)...I think there'd be a whole lot more nuclear plants around. I think...someday in the future...the general public is going to have to develop a stronger stomach for nuclear power (as "green" power) if they want wide-spread removal of coal fired power plants...
I dunno...sooner or later, after we're all trippin' over windmills, somebody will realize that they just can't replace fossil fuels with wind (although I suppose it's fine as a "supplemental" power supply).

I'm no tree hugger either...but I am a realist...lol. I believe that there IS a balance to be had with all things. As dumb as some of our politicians appear to be...I surely don't envy the positions many of them are in with trying to "please" all;).

Rem

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2014, 05:35:09 PM »
Don't have to please them, only fool them.

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2014, 05:47:25 PM »
Don't have to please them, only fool them.

Ain't that the truth?...lol. That about hits the nail on the head Gar!

Rem

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2014, 06:05:41 PM »
Yeah, look what they got the US voters to do.....twice. 

Offline Classvino

• Longtime Kawi Rider
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2014, 09:58:42 AM »
Yeah, look what they got the US voters to do.....twice.

Yup. Pretty amazing that an Actor could not only become President, but get re-elected too....

Or were you talking about the new guy?  (not new anymore, I guess)

In both cases, there were almost as many people that believed that he (Reagan OR Obama), though from opposite ends of the political spectrum. was the Devil incarnate, as there were people that believed he was the 'best thing ever'...   That's how elections work...

In terms of FOOLING the people (er... well...  us, really) I don't think that any one party is any less guilty of "stretching" things...   I don't think it would be too much of a 'stretch' to say that most of the people that don't like the current Gov't, would complain as much about any that might replace it as well...

(Disclaimer - I say 'us', though I'm Canadian... I think politicians are pretty much the same in all the developed countries)

Jamie

2013 C14 - First "new" bike
1983 CB1100F, 1977 GS850, 1974 KH750 H2, 1974 KH500 H1, 1975 KH400 S3, 1979 RD 400 Daytona......