Author Topic: I didn't have my C14 with me tonight..............  (Read 2720 times)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
I didn't have my C14 with me tonight..............
« on: November 03, 2011, 10:55:37 PM »
But I had Margaret with me and took a few pics anyway, forgive me for not posting on the C14 such as I usually do my friends. 

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Boomer343

Re: I didn't have my C14 with me tonight..............
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 12:50:52 AM »
What's a C14?

So it's Margaret...not Maggie or anything other than the full Margaret. So Steve you are concentrationg on what....the lighting, the posing, some theme.....

The theme could be missing body parts... a foot here, other parts over there....

So lighting....nice....good key and fill....nothing washed out. Tell Margaret her make up is correct also, no reflective high lights from dark eye concealer.

BTW she has great eyes something you can play to them as a photographer.

Posing.....take the white board background and have her scrunch down, back against the boards, wrap her arms around her knees, do a series...head left, head right, tilted.

Have her take off her shoes while sitting on the dock and place them or have her hold them by the straps.

The small package photo, try shooting from a 4 o'clock position with less background. This is a good shot and I keep finding things in the picture. Her right hand placement, her hair following the curve of her neck while other hair hangs up on her forehead. Edit to add....notice the small triangle under her right eye? That's Rembrant lighting....tough to set up.

Delete the last one. Edit to add...just looks to me to be an awkward pose.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 07:42:32 AM by Boomer343 »

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 01:11:39 AM »
Thanks, we were just totally messing around having fun. I was using one speedlight and a 43" silver umbrella and my biggest question with these pics is why the light came out different balance color on different body parts? Most obvious in pic 1.

I had my white balance set to "auto" unlike in the studio where its set to 5200, is that wrong? I doubt it was the light not reaching, i pre-shot, adjusted, and made pretty sure "i think" she was in the light. You know, maybe I should've brought a second light.

Yeah my instructor busts me for not cutting off a part here and there and sometimes not framing tight enough!

I'll be shooting a gal friend  and her Ducati  in the instructors studio Tuesday night.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Boomer343

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 07:59:30 AM »
Steve when you are shooting at night you have to accept some color balance problems....Part of what you are picking up on is what you as a photographer sees at the shoot and what the camera sees. So your eyes didn't see the difference in the inner arm skin tone compared to the outer arm skin tone but the camera did. Both because there is a difference and the lighting then added emphasis. Devils in the details but you have certainly been doing your homework.

Looking forward to the studio shots.... and some more of Margaret.   

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 11:10:56 AM »
Steve when you are shooting at night you have to accept some color balance problems....Part of what you are picking up on is what you as a photographer sees at the shoot and what the camera sees. So your eyes didn't see the difference in the inner arm skin tone compared to the outer arm skin tone but the camera did. Both because there is a difference and the lighting then added emphasis. Devils in the details but you have certainly been doing your homework.

Looking forward to the studio shots.... and some more of Margaret.

Thanks, I had a shutter speed I thought high enough to squelch the ambient out. I could fix it in post processing its not a big deal but couldn't help but wonder. Appreciate the critique Boomer!!

Offline Boomer343

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 01:21:29 PM »
Used up a lot of film in the good old days going half and one f around what the light meter decided was best.

Easier than spending darkroom time burning and dodging.

Like you say you can do the photoshop tricks but you are being a photographer and that should be what drives the process.

Worked with a women who had done negative and darkroom work for a portrait photographer named Karsh and she could do many tricks with a sharp exacto knife and a super fine brush so don't think that the pros take perfect shots either.

Good to have fun .....shot house photos for a real estate company that put them onto TV ads....not fun...especially when they stiffed me on the bill.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 03:31:06 PM »
Give that girl a candy bar! ;)

Nice pics. 8)
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011, 02:02:29 PM »
Give that girl a candy bar! ;)

Nice pics. 8)

Thanks!