Author Topic: What is the most comfortable tire?  (Read 33168 times)

Offline kemartin3

What is the most comfortable tire?
« on: February 03, 2015, 06:02:19 PM »
In case you live on both zggtr and cog-online, this is a duplicate of the 3Feb post there.

Kinda like the guy in the TV ad at the top of the mountain (Tire Rack, I think ).  I've got a 2012 C14.  My back starts to bother me after about 100 miles...which isn't going to cut it on the long trips I want to do (e.g., 8-10 state loop from VA -> MT -> VA next summer).  Likely the result of life, and way to many get-offs on dirt bikes in my earlier years. 

I've done several upgrades to improve the ride, and such
  - Russell seat
  - Heli-bars horizon bars
  - Traxxion AK-20 front cartridges (running 1.1 springs instead of the 1.15 the computer model
    says)
  - Penske shock (running 700# spring instead of the 750# spring the computer model says)
  - 36# air front/rear (recommendation from Dan at Traxxion now that I have the horrid
     oversprung fork issue fixed that comes stock)

I'm currently running PR4 GTs (stiffer sidewall).  Obviously that needs to get fixed.  And I think I will go with a 190-55 profile for the rear replacement (the turn-in with the PR4s was absolutely neutral until I dropped the pressure down to 36).  After that, the only trick I can think of is to find a tire with the most compliant carcass, that still gives reasonable mileage.  So I'm interested in input from youse that have run lots of different brands/models.  Which one(s) did you feel gave the most compliant/comfortable ride?   :hail:

Thanks,
Kevin

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: What is the most comfortable tire?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 06:19:10 PM »
Just to get it out of the way I would question running 36#s. Have you got any highway pegs to relieve your riding position?

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 06:44:45 PM »
Darkside.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline mikeeitup

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 07:12:16 PM »
I have back problems as well. May I suggest a back brace of some sort while riding? The leaning forward so much is what kills me but I can't quite bring myself to drop the 600 bucks on bars that reach back more. Probably going darkside is your best bet for a punishable tire though.
~Mike~
~2012 Black Connie~

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 09:08:50 PM »
I'm currently running PR4 GTs (stiffer sidewall).  Obviously that needs to get fixed.

Is it broken?

And I think I will go with a 190-55 profile for the rear replacement (the turn-in with the PR4s was absolutely neutral until I dropped the pressure down to 36).

I would not recommend running tires under-inflated at 36 on a bike this heavy, it can contribute to premature tire wear and uneven wear.  And I thought the goal for most people would be to HAVE neutral turn-in, no?  I know I don't want it fighting me nor falling over (for me right now, with PR4GT it is more effort to turn in than I would want and I would welcome neutral).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 11:37:38 PM »
After 4 sets of tires and various combinations of rear tire profiles, my most favorite are PR2's with a 190/55 rear and inflated to 42/44. IMO they offer the neutral turn-in desired, and hold a steady line at any speed. They also deliver a comfortable ride along with outstanding mileage. I'm not sure they are still available, but I'll look for them after the current PR4GT's are worn out.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 05:04:07 AM »
This one looks rather comfy.

Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 05:38:56 AM »

And has good lean too
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 06:03:57 AM »
And has good lean too
Need a better picture to see if they are properly inflated.

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 06:37:37 AM »
Just to get it out of the way I would question running 36#s.

Yeah, me too...but to each his own I guess. It has been my experience that the C14 will ruin tires in short order if under 40 psi. I ran a set one time in the high 30's, and I destroyed a rear tire in less than 3000 miles. I mean ruined it.

Also, I don't think I'd be installing a 55 series rear tire if I was looking for a "softer" ride as the 55's have a higher load rating than the 50 series rubber.

Rem
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 07:36:46 AM »
I run PR4's. I've also run other tires but I have never felt any difference in terms of comfort from tire to tire. Big difference in handling and wear but not comfort. I guess I'm just not sensitive enough to feel a difference. The seat (Corbin), handle bars (Horizon ST) and highway pegs (mounted to canyon cages) have made all the difference in the world for my back.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2015, 07:38:33 AM »

I like the way you think Conrad  :P

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2015, 07:57:37 AM »
^^^Nice. 

I nominate top left tire for most comfy:

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2015, 08:47:03 AM »
Hey, ya'll chill a bit.
He's a new guy that we should welcome and help... Let's not scare him off....
So, Welcome to the group Kevin.   Excuse us Hooligans.

I think he's saying, the PR4 was neutral handling "until" he dropped the tire pressure to attempt to get a better ride.
Not, that he liked it after lowering the pressure, just stating a fact...
(the turn-in with the PR4s was absolutely neutral until I dropped the pressure down to 36).

Also, He's considering the different tire ratio as he feels that the sidewall may not be as stiff. (because of the ratio).

Bottom line, (to help his back) he's asking if anyone knows of a tire with a more compliant ride/less rigid sidewalls.

Clearly, he's spent some bucks to get the bike to ride like he wants. Knows what he wants to try next...
He is looking for a less harsh tire..     Think Sport TOURING, not SPORT touring...
I'm sure he's open to other idea's to help his back too....

So,, let's attempt to answer his question;
Do any of you hooligan's know of a tire (that you might have disliked) that would offer him a more compliant ride...  <evil grin> 8)
I'm new to the C-14. Can't offer a suggestion on a tire. But I sure enjoyed talking with you.. heh heh

Ride safe, Ted

PS: (By the way, nice girlie pictures!)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2015, 08:55:18 AM »
those are tire pictures

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2015, 09:19:12 AM »

Also, He's considering the different tire ratio as he feels that the sidewall may not be as stiff. (because of the ratio).

Bottom line, (to help his back) he's asking if anyone knows of a tire with a more compliant ride/less rigid sidewalls.

Clearly, he's spent some bucks to get the bike to ride like he wants. Knows what he wants to try next...
He is looking for a less harsh tire..     Think Sport TOURING, not SPORT touring...
I'm sure he's open to other idea's to help his back too....

So,, let's attempt to answer his question;

I don't think anybody was being harsh, but I don't think there's much to gain by way of softer tires, and personally, I would expect 55 series tires to be even harder as they have a higher load rating. Just because they have a higher sidewall doesn't necessarily mean they will be a softer tire.

I personally don't notice any ride difference between tire brands, but you will notice a big difference in installing different tires...some of them feel soft and just pop right on the rim, while other tires (Pirellis come to mind) feel hard as rocks when trying to get them on the rim. I typically run Avon Storm 2 Ultras, and they're a soft tire....but they don't last very long, and at 36 psi, they would simply fall apart and be unsafe to ride imho. I have to run the rears at 45 PSI just to get 5000 miles out of them. I've run some Michelin 190-55 rears, and they wear like rocks...in my case at least, they just last forever.

So, while I don't "feel" a difference in ride, I notice a difference in wear...which is no help to the OP in the least.

He could run sport tires on the bike...they're softer, but they're not going to last long.

Rem

“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2015, 09:25:23 AM »
Hey, ya'll chill a bit.
He's a new guy that we should welcome and help... Let's not scare him off....
So, Welcome to the group Kevin.   Excuse us Hooligans.

PS: (By the way, nice girlie pictures!)

You're right CR, we don't want to scare the new guy off right away with pics of tires and attractive women.   ;)

In looking at the options that Kemartin3 has already tried I seriously doubt that a more compliant tire will make much, if any, difference in his comfort while riding his C14.

And heck, I didn't even mention how comfortable that rope must be...   :P

Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2015, 09:46:52 AM »
I've run some Michelin 190-55 rears, and they wear like rocks...in my case at least, they just last forever.

So, while I don't "feel" a difference in ride, I notice a difference in wear...which is no help to the OP in the least.
Which Michelins wear like iron? 95% of my riding is done on interstates so a long lasting tire would be preferred.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 02:59:53 PM by maxtog »
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2015, 10:03:11 AM »

Which Michelins wear like iron? 95% of my riding is done on interstates so a long lasting tire would be preferred.

Thanks!

I've only ever run two Michelins...a 190/55 PR2, and 190/55 PR3, and they both lasted around 11,000 miles and they were the only tires that EVER lasted that long for me. As I mentioned above, I ran Avon Storms in 190/50 series for years and years, and have never gotten more than 5000 miles out of a rear tire on ANY motorcycle.

I hate running 190/55 tires on the back, but they do seem to last longer for me than my usual rubber.

Rem

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2015, 10:46:33 AM »
I guess I'll hang a set of PR3s on her then. I got great mileage out of the Michelin Commanders on my last bike.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....