Poll

Should I paint my 09 Connie 2012 ZX14R green?

yes, do it
no, leave it black

Author Topic: ZG's Go Green paint project - 2012 ZX14R Special Edition Green  (Read 225383 times)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: ZG's Go Green paint project - 2012 ZX14R Special Edition Green
« Reply #160 on: February 07, 2013, 10:07:01 AM »
You guys are funnny...  ::) ;D

Painting the smuggler trunk was never up for debate, I was always planning on painting it, it's on the bike 98% of the time.

As for the backrest plastic back plate, I just got off the phone with Corbin, they agreed to sell me just that back plastic piece in the black paint like I already have for only $40, so I went ahead and ordered it up and am gonna drop my current one off today to the painter with the other parts.  8)

That way if I like it green great, if I don't then I'll have another black one. Having choices is good!  :)

Does the smuggler trunk provide better driver backrest support then the Corbin rear seat? With my Horizon ST bars I like to have some lumbar support. The Corbin rear seat does that to an extent. If the smuggler trunk does a better job, then I have 2 reasons to get one.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #161 on: February 07, 2013, 11:40:46 AM »
Does the smuggler trunk provide better driver backrest support then the Corbin rear seat?

IMO yes.  :)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #162 on: February 07, 2013, 11:45:37 AM »

IMO yes.  :)

Oh man something tells me that my farkle budget is going to get blown out again this year. ;)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #163 on: February 07, 2013, 11:52:31 AM »
Just looked at Corbin website. $800 for a smuggler. Ouch!

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #164 on: February 07, 2013, 04:37:15 PM »
Are you going to have your green side cases cut down by Corbin?

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #165 on: February 07, 2013, 06:04:20 PM »
Are you going to have your green side cases cut down by Corbin?

Nope, I need the space on longer overnight rides OL, which I plan to have a few this summer.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #166 on: February 12, 2013, 05:11:45 PM »
Got a couple quick progress pics from the painter today...

They got all the rock chips out of the front fender and the boot & drop scratches out of the side cases, upper and side wings sanded down too.  ;D

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #167 on: February 12, 2013, 05:33:45 PM »
Frankenstein...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #168 on: February 12, 2013, 06:31:44 PM »
Frankenstein...

;D

At least now we know it's black under that slower paint Sparky.  ;) 8)

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #169 on: February 13, 2013, 12:06:23 PM »
Did you buy/mix a "true" Kawasaki green or did you pick a color from a chart? The reason I ask is because I've contemplated using a stock PPG color code to repaint my bike. Then, if I ever had to paint an accessory or touch up a section, I could reorder some paint and it would match 100% perfect.

I can't wait to see the green paint in person...

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #170 on: February 13, 2013, 12:34:05 PM »
Did you buy/mix a "true" Kawasaki green or did you pick a color from a chart? The reason I ask is because I've contemplated using a stock PPG color code to repaint my bike. Then, if I ever had to paint an accessory or touch up a section, I could reorder some paint and it would match 100% perfect.

I can't wait to see the green paint in person...

I went with the true Kawi paint kit OL, this particular paint for the 2012 ZX14R "golden blaze green" is a pretty complex color and has an uber ton of metalic flake in it.  :)

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #171 on: February 13, 2013, 01:13:10 PM »
awesome, ZG. I don't envy money, but having a vision and being able to make it happen...  :hail:
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #172 on: February 13, 2013, 02:17:20 PM »
awesome, ZG. I don't envy money, but having a vision and being able to make it happen...  :hail:

Thanks Martin, I've always been a bit of a dreamer when it came to modding my toys, it's nice to finally be at a point in life that I can actually take action on the dreams, better to do it now IMO and enjoy the benifits then hoard my $ so long that I can't enjoy it when I'm old older.
 :)   :chugbeer:

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #173 on: February 13, 2013, 03:25:24 PM »

I went with the true Kawi paint kit OL, this particular paint for the 2012 ZX14R "golden blaze green" is a pretty complex color and has an uber ton of metalic flake in it.  :)

That's cool. If you ever decide to do it again, take a look at the PPG book first. They have a million colors for vehicles of every make and model. Also, they have a lot of exotic/metallic flake colors in their Vibrance collection.

Did you get the paint from Colorite or did you have the code to mixed it up? I had my Givi trunk shot in Colorite Candy Diamond Red, but it wasn't exactly the same.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #174 on: February 13, 2013, 04:36:42 PM »
Did you get the paint from Colorite or did you have the code to mixed it up?

Yep OL, the complete paint kit is from Color-rite, it's a 4 level paint process I guess, I called Kawi and they said that Color-rite was the way to buy it.  8)

I used Color-rite for a side case lid on my 06 VFR a couple years back and it was an exact match, it was the 06 black which also had quite a bit of metallic in it, I was very pleased.  :)

Offline AZ-ZG

« Reply #175 on: February 13, 2013, 08:23:32 PM »
Looking forward to the results!

I live. I ride. I am. ZG14 
IBA#53928

Offline okxd45

« Reply #176 on: February 14, 2013, 03:21:24 AM »
Looking forward to the results!

+1!
Jeff
"Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under 't." Macbeth Quote (Act I, Scene V).
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." (Matthew 10:16 NIV)

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #177 on: February 14, 2013, 10:40:27 AM »

Yep OL, the complete paint kit is from Color-rite, it's a 4 level paint process I guess, I called Kawi and they said that Color-rite was the way to buy it.  8)

I used Color-rite for a side case lid on my 06 VFR a couple years back and it was an exact match, it was the 06 black which also had quite a bit of metallic in it, I was very pleased.  :)

I guess that explains why the supplies cost so much. Color-rite has a monopoly on the motorcycle paint market and they aren't afraid to gouge their customers. :)

FYIY, black metallic is super easy to match, so it should have been dead on. The green/candy Color-rite formula will be very close to factory but not exact. As long as you're shooting the entire bike, you'll never notice the difference. Personally, I think the Color-rite finishes are much nicer than Kawasaki OEM anyways. The clear coat is definitely less prone to smudging and scratching.

So, how much do you have invested in this project so far? I can pick up a new/used 2013 ZX-14 for ~$12K :p

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #178 on: February 14, 2013, 11:49:10 AM »
So, how much do you have invested in this project so far? I can pick up a new/used 2013 ZX-14 for ~$12K :p

$1300 for a complete 2nd set of bodywork including tank and side case lids.

$700 for a complete 3rd set of bodywork including tank and side case lids. (TBD on what to do with, hoard for future)  :-[

$500 for the paint.

$200 in misc rubber cushions, heat shield, connectors, and new Kawi badges.

Still to come is the actual cost to paint, should be approx $1k.

Still to come the cost of my bike shop swapping everything out and reconnecting misc things like heated gear controls/inputs etc, should be approx $600.

So my guess is I'll come in somewhere in the $5k range all said and done, but I'll also have 3 complete sets of bodywork...  :)

Son of Pappy

« Reply #179 on: February 14, 2013, 12:49:22 PM »
Paint the third set SILVERDAMMIT for a real performance gain ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D