Author Topic: Replacing rotors and reusing pads  (Read 2350 times)

Offline Kwikasfuki

• Uk GTR Forum
Replacing rotors and reusing pads
« on: June 25, 2014, 05:54:17 AM »
I'm intending on replacing the rotors with new aftermarket ones (Arashi I think).

I've just replaced the pads on the old rotors with new ones. They have about 700 highway miles on them at the moment. Is there any issues with reusing these pads, or should I replace them as well?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Replacing rotors and reusing pads
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 06:04:44 AM »
I would think that unless they are scored significantly it shouldn't matter.  You may want to sand them just a bit, though.  Also, take the cover off the master cylinder and make sure that you have room for brake fluid expansion.  If you don't, that could lead to problems when you put it all back together.  Don't ask me how I know this.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Kwikasfuki

• Uk GTR Forum
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 06:28:51 AM »
I would think that unless they are scored significantly it shouldn't matter.  You may want to sand them just a bit, though.  Also, take the cover off the master cylinder and make sure that you have room for brake fluid expansion.  If you don't, that could lead to problems when you put it all back together.  Don't ask me how I know this.

I've done that one myself :( Pistons wouldn't go back, removed the brake reservoir cover, and out came the fluid. Thankfully had a cloth and water nearby ...

I can give the pads a light sanding. Do I need to use fine sand paper or can a get away with a fine file?

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 06:35:18 AM »
I've done that one myself :( Pistons wouldn't go back, removed the brake reservoir cover, and out came the fluid. Thankfully had a cloth and water nearby ...

I can give the pads a light sanding. Do I need to use fine sand paper or can a get away with a fine file?

Just my opinion but I wouldn't use a file. If your going to do it at all use fine sand paper on a flat surface. You want the pad to be completely flat and even width.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 06:40:35 AM »
I think it could be a big mistake to use previously bedded-in pads with new rotors. I just installed new EBC rotors and pads. The instructions that came with the rotors say NEVER use partially used pads as it will cause highly extended bed-in time (up to 1000 miles) brake fade and void warranty) Check out this article: http://ebcbrakes.com/articles/bedding-in-new-motorcycle-pads-and-rotors/. I have never heard of Arashi, they could be different but I doubt it.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 07:14:06 AM »
Sounds like good advice as well.  Up to you, Asif.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Kwikasfuki

• Uk GTR Forum
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 08:05:48 AM »
Interesting. For cars apparently its recommended to use the old pads to bed the rotors in

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 09:04:33 AM »
With 700 miles on them I would not think there would be enough change in the pad surface to need sanding. ?? But if you do do that, be careful because sandpaper grit may become embedded in the pads and "sand" the rotor down. As far as using a file, these are HH rated pads and will destroy a file in short order as they are very hard.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 04:23:42 PM »

I think this happens all the time.

Brake fluid is just NASTY.  It will pretty much instantly ruin your shield, the plastics, paint, I think even certain rubber.  If I am ever opening that sucker for any reason, I cover everything in layers of plastic sheets and towels.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc