Author Topic: Trans-Labrador Highway-September-ish 2015  (Read 1801 times)

Offline gregman_1

Trans-Labrador Highway-September-ish 2015
« on: January 28, 2014, 09:33:21 PM »
Hey guys, it's been quite a while since I've been here.  I hope everyone is well.

For the last four years, myself, my dad and one of my best riding buddies ("The Three Amigos") have been planning a sort of "poor man's Alaska" trip.   The plan is to leave the Atlanta area for three weeks, ride up the east coast, cross Nova Scotia and Newfoundland, and then ride across the Trans-Labrador Highway, "North America's Last True Adventure Road," and then back down to Atlanta via Quebec City, the Adirondack, Catskill, Pocono and Blue Ridge mountain ranges.

The trip will be (roughly) 6,000 miles with about 800 of those being on the unpaved Translab.  We will be staying in accommodations ranging from B&Bs to seedy motels to tents 200 miles from the nearest permanent structure.  There will be bridges, ferries, fjords, high mountain passes, mosquitoes and blackflies.

I will be posting .kml files and route notes as I complete them in the next few weeks, and ongoing changes will happen often enough to keep you guessing.

If you live along the route (or don't) and would like to join us for a portion, or, assuming you have permanent brain damage, would like to join us for the entirety of the trip, let me know.  Myself and Dad will both be on ZG1000's, and my friend will probably be on a Buell of some sort (exactly the kinds of bikes you're supposed to ride to the middle of nowhere on unpaved roads, right?).  We are medium-pace riders, and the three of us have been riding together a long time and have lots of crude humor, inside jokes and tantrums ready to offend complete strangers.  If this sounds like your idea of fun, let me know.  If you'd rather watch from a distance, I will be doing more in-depth posts as planning completes, as the ride goes on, and we will be filming a "quasi documentary" for those who would rather see the backcountry of Canada from their La-Z-Boy.
2005 Concours-"The Other Woman"
Stock except Canyon Cages and heated grips

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
Re: Trans-Labrador Highway-September-ish 2015
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 03:09:18 PM »
Sounds like fun. I'll look forward to following you virtually.
Ron :)
2014 C-14 Red

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 08:24:23 PM »
Have they paved that highway yet?  I thought I read somewhere that folks were scrambling to ride it because it was scheduled to be paved.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline gregman_1

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 11:54:10 PM »
Have they paved that highway yet?  I thought I read somewhere that folks were scrambling to ride it because it was scheduled to be paved.
As I understand it, they are currently working to pave west from Goose Bay towards Churchill Falls, and may have that section paved entirely by the time we get up there.  That was the worst section though.  The route is still unpaved from Manic 5, north to Labrador City and east to Churchill Falls (and beyond to wherever they've paved to), and again from Goose Bay all the way east to Port Hope Simpson (maybe farther).  I've had a hard time finding out exactly where the pavement begins and ends in the eastern part of Labrador.
2005 Concours-"The Other Woman"
Stock except Canyon Cages and heated grips