Author Topic: Guhl's flash on Lee's brand new C14  (Read 32002 times)

Offline Cuda

Re: Guhl's flash on Lee's brand new C14
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2013, 06:25:57 PM »
I wonder if a group buy is a possibility?  Sounds like a number of people are interested.  I sure am.  That torque increase on the low end of the rev range looks very nice.

Forgetaboutit
The best you can do is the dealer on this site's deal ...
 http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=13027.0
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2013, 07:59:23 PM »
Cuda's right. 
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline shreveportSS

« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2013, 08:00:31 AM »
I personally wouldn't recommend riding at 2K in 6th gear (or really any gear, except 1st, but especially the higher gears), because 2K is just too low and any amount of throttle in 6th with this type of engine.... there is lugging.  Some will disagree with me, but I tend to think the minimum RPM for 6th gear is 3K.  If I have to accelerate more than just a tiny amount while below 3.5K in 6th, I will drop to 5th.  If I plan to cruise below 5K, I will just stay in 5th.
I get better gas mileage in 5th gear vs 6th at below 75mph.
2011 Concours 14
2011 ZX1000GBF Ninja. Died Dec. 1st, 2012
2012 ZX1000HBF Ninja.

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2013, 08:11:06 AM »
I wonder if a group buy is a possibility?  Sounds like a number of people are interested.  I sure am.  That torque increase on the low end of the rev range looks very nice.
Somebody (me) suggested that months ago to no avail. Seems like Guhl is happy with his earning potentials the way they are..

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2013, 01:13:43 PM »
I get better gas mileage in 5th gear vs 6th at below 75mph.

That wouldn't surprise me.  6th overdrive is designed for cruising at high speed, to increase fuel efficiency and reduce vibration.  Anything lower than around 60 or 65 likely puts the engine into an inefficient enough flow that it cancels and then overcomes any savings gained by the reduction of parasitic friction.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2013, 01:17:08 PM »
Somebody (me) suggested that months ago to no avail. Seems like Guhl is happy with his earning potentials the way they are..

Supply and demand.  If he believes he can maximize revenue by keeping the price higher because people are willing to pay it, then more power to him.   Sometimes increased sales by lowering price doesn't net more earnings.  And if demand were high enough, it is likely someone else would go into competition with him and drive the price down.

I am glad he invested the time/energy into making the mod for the Concours 14.  Hopefully one day I will partake in it :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2013, 01:32:27 PM »
How dare someone not discount his work in order to suit my opinion of what it's worth.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2013, 07:16:36 PM »
I hear you Gary, I hear you.... :rotflmao:

That wouldn't surprise me.  6th overdrive is designed for cruising at high speed, to increase fuel efficiency and reduce vibration.  Anything lower than around 60 or 65 likely puts the engine into an inefficient enough flow that it cancels and then overcomes any savings gained by the reduction of parasitic friction.

Parasitic friction, eh?  I like those words.   I proclaim 'Parasitic Friction' the two words of the day.  This is quite an honor as usually I'm the one with the words.  Excellent, Max!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline katata1100

« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2013, 11:33:58 PM »
Rode the '14 for the first time in a month today, went from Reno to Sutters Mill in CA, saw fall folliage, gold country, beautiful ride.
Looked at the rpms, at 55mph, motor was spinning 2500rpms, so that was my cruise speed sometimes on highway 50. With regular guhl mode, bike was fine. Yeah, it was 500 more than the 2000 I originally posted, but that is what it was. I think cruising speed with 2000 rpms in 6, gives a speed of just under 50 mph.
But, I digress...
Highway 49 is a twisty, low speed road with lots of hills and dips. With guhl it is easy, I think I kept it in 3rd most of the time. The tq just makes it so easy.

Offline tbanzer

« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2013, 03:41:24 PM »
Is there much or any improvement with this reflash over simply removing the flys?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2013, 04:17:56 PM »
Is there much or any improvement with this reflash over simply removing the flys?

Positive: It is better leaned/tuned, so there is a slight bit more power, and a slight bit more MPG.  Plus it doesn't ruin half the traction control's control devices and it is a lot less effort to perform the change.  Also allows stock control in the ECO mode, so you have a good before and after comparison (and a gentler mode intact for any beginner on the bike).

Negative- it costs a whole lot more and you have to be without using your bike for a while longer.

Offline tbanzer

« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2013, 08:56:56 AM »
Positive: It is better leaned/tuned, so there is a slight bit more power, and a slight bit more MPG.  Plus it doesn't ruin half the traction control's control devices and it is a lot less effort to perform the change.  Also allows stock control in the ECO mode, so you have a good before and after comparison (and a gentler mode intact for any beginner on the bike).

Negative- it costs a whole lot more and you have to be without using your bike for a while longer.
I have an 08 so eco and traction control do not apply. I guess Ill stick with my flys out with the stock tune.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2014, 01:29:35 PM »
I am glad he invested the time/energy into making the mod for the Concours 14.  Hopefully one day I will partake in it :)

Guess who finally has the Ghul flashed ECU installed??!!! :) :)

I have been itching to put the ECU back in for a week.  The weather turned insane- with temps in the teens, ice, gale winds, rain on and off, etc.  As fortune would have it, there was finally a short break in the insanity today, so I had a window of opportunity.  Installed that sucker and started driving out of the neighborhood...

I was a bit skeptical and was saying to myself "well, I don't really notice anything."  Then got to a main road and gave it some throttle and all I can say is "WOW".  That horrible stock hesitation and dead zone is just completely gone now.  It feels like someone removed a wet sock from the intake!  It just pulls and pulls.  I rode around for as long as I could (maybe 30 min) before I had to go home.  One time I gave the throttle a twist and thought "Hmm" and then realized I WAS IN ONE HIGHER GEAR THAN I EXPECTED.  Engine sounds great still and no problems starting (did it multiple times).  My face hurts from smiling.

It far exceeds my expectations and I can't wait for when I can play some more (and to install the Throttle Tamer).  8515 miles.

UPDATE:  Good thing I came home... now there is a tornado warning and it is headed to this area in minutes.  I told you the weather has been insane this week!

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2014, 01:39:23 PM »
 :thumbs:
It's good to get those pesky flies out of the way of proper airflow.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2014, 07:25:19 AM »
Guess who finally has the Ghul flashed ECU installed??!!! :) :)

I have been itching to put the ECU back in for a week.  The weather turned insane- with temps in the teens, ice, gale winds, rain on and off, etc.  As fortune would have it, there was finally a short break in the insanity today, so I had a window of opportunity.  Installed that sucker and started driving out of the neighborhood...

I was a bit skeptical and was saying to myself "well, I don't really notice anything."  Then got to a main road and gave it some throttle and all I can say is "WOW".  That horrible stock hesitation and dead zone is just completely gone now.  It feels like someone removed a wet sock from the intake!  It just pulls and pulls.  I rode around for as long as I could (maybe 30 min) before I had to go home.  One time I gave the throttle a twist and thought "Hmm" and then realized I WAS IN ONE HIGHER GEAR THAN I EXPECTED.  Engine sounds great still and no problems starting (did it multiple times).  My face hurts from smiling.

It far exceeds my expectations and I can't wait for when I can play some more (and to install the Throttle Tamer).  8515 miles.

UPDATE:  Good thing I came home... now there is a tornado warning and it is headed to this area in minutes.  I told you the weather has been insane this week!

Nice report Max. Looks like I'm going to have to go ahead and do this too.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2014, 08:03:42 AM »
Go for it C, it'll put new life into you right hand.  :)

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2014, 07:41:48 AM »
Go for it C, it'll put new life into you right hand.  :)

:rotflmao:
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline BigAlan

« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2014, 02:37:15 PM »
Speaking as I am from this cold side of the pond here in England I have just has my 2011 bike on a Dyno and the resulting performance and level of smoothness is awesome.

For example, from a stock 128.2 BHP at the rear wheel and 81.8lb/ft torque I now have 151.7 BHP and 101.2 lb/ft torque, combined with this I now ride with a smile all the time, it's gone from a bike I was going to sell this September to one I am now keeping.

No idea what a PC can do but this remap at Hilltop Motorcycles in Leicester was well worth it.

Alan
2011 in Black

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2014, 03:59:17 PM »
No idea what a PC can do but this remap at Hilltop Motorcycles in Leicester was well worth it.

Is that something new?  I have not seen that mentioned.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2014, 11:26:24 AM »
Speaking as I am from this cold side of the pond here in England I have just has my 2011 bike on a Dyno and the resulting performance and level of smoothness is awesome.

For example, from a stock 128.2 BHP at the rear wheel and 81.8lb/ft torque I now have 151.7 BHP and 101.2 lb/ft torque, combined with this I now ride with a smile all the time, it's gone from a bike I was going to sell this September to one I am now keeping.

Alan

Do you have the before and after dyno charts?

Any other mods? (slip-on, etc)
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold