Author Topic: Guhl's flash on Lee's brand new C14  (Read 31997 times)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: Guhl's flash on Lee's brand new C14
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2013, 04:36:18 PM »
Like Rhino said- it won't affect that much.  Keep in mind 6th is overdrive, it is a very tall gear that is not designed to have any power, it is for level cruising at high speed (generally over 65 MPH).  To get the C14 into the power band in 6th puts you at a very illegal speed.

The Ghul reflash primarily addresses responsiveness, much of which I don't think will really show in a dyno printout.  The secondary butterflies are what causes the lack of responsiveness and the flash essentially "disables" those butterflies by opening them fully, almost immediately. It DOES increase torque a little across the board (and hp), but that is not the main goal.

the torque increase from 3000 to 6000 rpm is all that.  thats the rpm range mine lives in unless I'm on it, this mod is attractive to me and I've never cared enough about the "performance" of my bike to do anything to it but this may be it
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2013, 04:37:19 PM »
Would the reflash help with that "dead" feeling you get when you wind up fifth gear and switch to sixth? Feels like the bike even slows down a little.

6th gear is for gas mileage, I can hit faster top speeds in 5th than I can in 6th, as Max mentioned it's just an overdrive gear for slabbing...

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2013, 05:01:57 PM »
Apologies, I wasn't watching this thread

Lee is a local drag racer, does research for Brock, owns a ZX14 forum, owns a drag ZX14, but most importantly is a very good friend.  He also owns a motorcycle business and when i'm to busy or lazy to fool with my 5 bikes his shop does the work. Recently hi front fork job on my ZX9,  etc

He mentioned he'll have some drag strip time slips posted on the reflashed stock C14 soon

edit:  he is smokinZX14 on his forum:   http://zx1441r.com
How stock?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2013, 05:35:01 PM »
the torque increase from 3000 to 6000 rpm is all that.  thats the rpm range mine lives in unless I'm on it, this mod is attractive to me and I've never cared enough about the "performance" of my bike to do anything to it but this may be it

Please note you quoted a version of the post I had edited immediately afterwards, which currently doesn't say "a little".   :)

At 3K it is pretty impressive, jumping from about 66ft-lb to 78ft-lb.  That is 18% more,  something that will certainly be noticed by everyone.  At the higher RPMs, like 6K, a 1ft-lb improvement at 88 isn't going to be noticeable by anyone (that is only a 1.1% improvement).  At 5K it isn't much whoop either (+2 = 2.3%)

And yes indeed, 3K to 6K is an ideal range to add more torque.   Would like to have seen 2.5K
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2013, 05:41:36 PM »
Please note you quoted a version of the post I had edited immediately afterwards, which currently doesn't say "a little".   :)

At 3K it is pretty impressive, jumping from about 66ft-lb to 78ft-lb.  That is 18% more,  something that will certainly be noticed by everyone.  At the higher RPMs, like 6K, a 1ft-lb improvement at 88 isn't going to be noticeable by anyone (that is only a 1.1% improvement).  At 5K it isn't much whoop either (+2 = 2.3%)

And yes indeed, 3K to 6K is an ideal range to add more torque.   Would like to have seen 2.5K
Change the exhaust, Max.  ;)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2013, 05:42:06 PM »
How stock?

Are there degrees of just "stock"?  Stock is stock :)

Now, if he said "stock engine" then that leaves the door completely open for air in and air out...  but he didn't say that!

Of course, the wording is kinda wrong, anyway:  "time slips posted on the reflashed stock C14 soon"   Technically that is an oxymoron, it can't be stock if it is reflashed.  The better wording would be "time slips posted on the reflashed but otherwise stock C14 soon"
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2013, 05:42:43 PM »
Change the exhaust, Max.  ;)

You have to change the exhaust system to see the 2.5K RPM part of the graph on the dyno??

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2013, 05:51:33 PM »
Thought you were looking for increases at 2.5   Went back and saw the graph was missing that info.

As to degrees of stockness is that an absolute or a relative measure?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2013, 05:57:32 PM »
As to degrees of stockness is that an absolute or a relative measure?

Depends on how philosophical we want to get!

Offline pistole

« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2013, 09:15:31 PM »
- are we a muffler or an exhaust ? That is the question.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2013, 10:35:20 PM »
another page or two and I'll invite Lee over to this party
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Cuda

« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2013, 04:43:06 AM »
You can ask Guhl to open the flys sooner than his normal flash , and they will , I had one of his local dealers  who (drag races a ZX14 with his flash)  send mine in ,  he told him about my cat less ZX 14 header and to open the flys sooner and I don't rev the motor as much anymore , short shift because of the torque increase, torque is a nice seat in the pants feeling  ;)
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2013, 05:38:09 AM »
You can ask Guhl to open the flys sooner than his normal flash , and they will , I had one of his local dealers  who (drag races a ZX14 with his flash)  send mine in ,  he told him about my cat less ZX 14 header and to open the flys sooner and I don't rev the motor as much anymore , short shift because of the torque increase, torque is a nice seat in the pants feeling  ;)

My understanding when I looked at the raw data was that Guhl's "normal" C14 reflash already opens the secondaries almost immediately.  Are you saying that he still left delay in there?

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2013, 08:41:56 AM »
My bike is mostly stock except a K&N air filter and Leo Vince slip on. Don Guhl told me they will re-flash whenever I want for just the cost of shipping. So if I ever went to go to a cat-less full exhaust as an example, he will give me a new map for that for just the cost of shipping. One of these days I intend to get a full AreaP system with O2 sensor, ride to Pennsylvania and have Guhl custom dynotune my bike.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2013, 11:36:34 AM »
I wouldn't think so since the increase in torque is at the low end. But "wind up fifth gear" would have to going quite a bit faster than the 155 mph speed limiter in the ECU on the gen 2 bikes. So  the reflash can remove that limiter and allow you to actually "wind up fifth gear" on gen 2 bikes.

Ok, so my Connie has never quite redlined fifth gear, but it's been close. And, that's definitely not within the street legal speed limit.

I would really like to have more pull at the lower RPM range since that's where I live 99% of the time. Guhl is probably on my winter project list.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline katata1100

« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2013, 07:22:08 PM »
I have my '11 Guhl'ed. The eco mode is untouched so I have flipped between  eco and "guhl" mode
The difference is real obvious. Stock, it wasn't,eco and regular mode felt similar, now there is a huge difference. When I run eco, the bike is a dog until 3k rpm, compared to eco, feels like it has a bad head gasket.
The only time i use eco is when I am in 6th gear on long trips. Using the eco now feels like punishment.
As for cost, to me it is way worth it, the bike is so much more enjoyable to ride.
As for 6th gear riding, yeah, i notice a big diff there too. If you are humming along in 6th, 2k rpms and want to pass someone, you don't necessarily have to downshift, just twist that throttle a little, you'll get moving. Before, you twist the throttle and it was like nothing happened.
A lot of people have gotten guhl'ed and I have yet to hear one person say they were not anything less than very, very satisfied with it.

Offline Cuda

« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2013, 07:29:54 PM »
I used the eco mode a lot before the flash,
 forgotaboutitnow :D
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 05:30:20 AM by Cuda »
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2013, 09:47:21 PM »
If you are humming along in 6th, 2k rpms and want to pass someone, you don't necessarily have to downshift, just twist that throttle a little, you'll get moving. Before, you twist the throttle and it was like nothing happened.

I personally wouldn't recommend riding at 2K in 6th gear (or really any gear, except 1st, but especially the higher gears), because 2K is just too low and any amount of throttle in 6th with this type of engine.... there is lugging.  Some will disagree with me, but I tend to think the minimum RPM for 6th gear is 3K.  If I have to accelerate more than just a tiny amount while below 3.5K in 6th, I will drop to 5th.  If I plan to cruise below 5K, I will just stay in 5th.

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2013, 08:33:17 AM »
I wonder if a group buy is a possibility?  Sounds like a number of people are interested.  I sure am.  That torque increase on the low end of the rev range looks very nice. 

Offline katata1100

« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2013, 06:16:02 PM »
I personally wouldn't recommend riding at 2K in 6th gear (or really any gear, except 1st, but especially the higher gears), because 2K is just too low and any amount of throttle in 6th with this type of engine.... there is lugging.  Some will disagree with me, but I tend to think the minimum RPM for 6th gear is 3K.  If I have to accelerate more than just a tiny amount while below 3.5K in 6th, I will drop to 5th.  If I plan to cruise below 5K, I will just stay in 5th.
Not really, the bike really feels pretty strong, doesn't feel unhappy at all. It is really nice having a 1400cc bike feel like it has 1400cc (or 13xx cc whatever it has).
With the Guhl mod, you will do a lot less down shifting, trust me on that.