Author Topic: A thread about nothing at all....  (Read 727041 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: A thread about nothing at all....
« Reply #2920 on: December 19, 2017, 03:15:30 PM »
There is one distinction that separates them into one of two groups though, purring or 'singing' and roaring. All members of the cat family can do one or the other, while NO member of the cat family can do both. And the dividing point is generally based on the size of the cat; those below around 200 lbs. can all sing, while those above that weight can roar.

Yep, and that separation is called the "lesser cats" vs "greater cats", the greater ones being that of the Panthera genus (4 species) and all others are the lesser (of which there are many).

There is only one species of domestic cat, felis silvestris catus.  Cats are far more genetically resistant to changes in body shape and size than dogs and many other animals.  Breeders have tried to change that by creating hybrids with other non-domestic species, but it has been difficult.  The most successful so far is the Savanna Cat (a cross with a serval).  TICA now recognizes it as an actual breed, although CFA does not [yet].

Many consider the cheetah to be the most outlier of the cats, because they are the only ones that have non-retractable claws and run considerably faster than all others (it is the fastest land animal on earth).

Another interesting variation is that smaller cats are ambush hunters and have vertical slit pupils.  Larger cats are typically chase or group hunters and have round pupils.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2921 on: December 19, 2017, 03:30:10 PM »
Observation about pretty much nothing at all: One member on here, I won't state who but OK it's BDF, seems to be the only member who places his response above the quote he's responding to. This is backwards flow to me, and probably everybody else who posts their response below the quoted part. i.e. I have to scroll to the bottom to see what you're responding to.

This originated in Email.  The "proper" way to respond to Email was always what is often called "trim and inline/bottom reply", and you will see me do that often... it is a conversational, top-down approach that also can split the original response into sections and reply point-by-point.  Microsoft violated that long standing convention in Outlook many years ago by placing the cursor in replies ABOVE the message, encouraging "top reply".  Not only can it be awkward, but it is also impossible to inline reply-to once corrupted into that format.  But it has the advantages of being "easy", includes all the responses in whole, and the reader doesn't have to scroll to the bottom to see what was written (although that is not the case with in-line replies, which can be throughout the whole text).  Despite the disadvantages, it has now, unfortunately, become "standard" practice.  It is not as common with message boards, though.

Why Brian chooses to post that way, I don't know... probably just a personal preference or habit from Email.  On forums, which don't usually contain compound replies, it probably doesn't matter all that much.  He is not completely alone, I have seen some other members use it, but it is rare.

Generally, most people were never trained much on Email and just post where the cursor is placed.  This is why Microsoft almost single-handedly changed most replies by just putting the cursor at the top, instead of the bottom.  I guarantee if the forum did the same thing, most replies would be at the top (although mine certainly woudn't be).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-reply-email/

And since these replies are often quite lengthy, well, my scroll wheel finger gets tired. I suppose I could switch off and scroll with my bird finger for a while.

And now you can see how an inline/bottom reply works, because I can talk about just this part of your response, which is about scrolling :)  If the thread then develops into just about scrolling, the reply to THIS message should trim out the previous points, just leaving the relevant parts.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2922 on: December 19, 2017, 03:35:26 PM »
and since these replies are often quite lengthy, well, my scroll wheel finger gets tired. I suppose I could switch off and scroll with my bird finger for a while.
And now you can see how an inline/bottom reply works, because I can talk about just this part of your response, which is about scrolling :)  If the thread then develops into just about scrolling, the reply to THIS message should trim out the previous points, just leaving the relevant parts.

And this is what a nested, trimmed, inline reply would then look like.  The forum supports it, but it is a little complex AND it requires pasting manually from previous messages because this forum software (like most I have used) will automatically purge out previous quotations.

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #2923 on: December 19, 2017, 04:06:30 PM »
and since these replies are often quite lengthy, well, my scroll wheel finger gets tired. I suppose I could switch off and scroll with my bird finger for a while.
And this is what a nested, trimmed, inline reply would then look like.  The forum supports it, but it is a little complex AND it requires pasting manually from previous messages because this forum software (like most I have used) will automatically purge out previous quotations.

10-4

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2924 on: December 19, 2017, 04:07:41 PM »

You have officially made my brane hurt.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2925 on: December 19, 2017, 04:36:56 PM »
You have officially made my brane hurt.

My life's work is now complete

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2926 on: December 19, 2017, 04:56:33 PM »
Well, I never thought about those different facets of the 'quote & post' system but as you lay it out, it does make sense.

The reason I post above is because when I read a thread, I almost never have to read the quoted post because I have already read it. I want to read the current post, which is the response, and so that is how I post in return (because that is how I prefer to read posts in forum threads). Plus my goal in quoting a previous post is only to clarify what I am responding to, not maintain a running mini- thread w/in a thread, that is what forum software is for in the first pace (again, in my opinion, not saying it is the best or even correct way). So, all  of you folks putting your posts below other posts that I have already read makes me have to scroll down to get to the 'actual' message in the current post.  ;) ;D

What I find hurts the content of many posts is that there is no quote at all, someone just posts. Which is fine of course but often makes it hard to follow, especially when someone says something such as 'I do not agree with that at all and do it the other way'. ?? If there are five posts above that, all outlining different ways to do something, and the poster does not quote anything at all, which way is he / she disagreeing with in the first place?

And to save time and bandwidth, I do try to <snip> lots out of previous posts to ease the loads on all of your pointer fingers, respectively.  :P

So, to sum up: Brian is on top, all the rest of you are underneath. And dat's da' way I likes it. Easy Boys!

Brian

<snip>

Why Brian chooses to post that way, I don't know... probably just a personal preference or habit from Email.  On forums, which don't usually contain compound replies, it probably doesn't matter all that much.  He is not completely alone, I have seen some other members use it, but it is rare.

<snip>

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2927 on: December 19, 2017, 05:03:52 PM »
Yes, the requirements, as well as the likelihood of issuance, vary greatly by state. In my state, which is a <may issue> state (meaning they will not issue in almost all cases), fingerprints, background check, ID photos (exclusive to the CCW permit) are required, as are three references, notarized and from persons of 'known good character'. Further, there is a qualifying test required and once passed, the person possessing the permit may only carry calibers up to and including the caliber (actually bore size) that person qualified with. So qualify with a .44 magnum and you ARE NOT permitted to carry a .45 ACP because it is a 'larger' caliber. Everyone I know therefore qualifies with a .45, usually a 1911, even if that person has to borrow one to do so.
Brian

FYI:  In Virginia (I assume it is the same across the whole state), you do not need to go to an LEO office, you are certainly not fingerprinted (which would be VERY unacceptable), nor are you photographed (they already have that anyway with drivers license/ID).   You have to fill out a notarized form, enclose payment, and mail to the court clerk.  They perform the necessary background check and mail back the license.  Why it is only good for 5 years, I have no idea.  If you commit a felony the next day, it is automatically revoked, so what is the point of "renewals"?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2928 on: December 19, 2017, 05:32:14 PM »
That is interesting- I did not know it was only four that roared.

And yep, the cheetah is quite different, as you mention, non- retractable claws but also air- filled bones (like birds rather than mammals) and extremely long tails that they use for 'rudders' to change direction quickly. Also supposed to be one of, or the outright best, of the large cats to have as a pet; the other supposedly 'good' pet big cat being a panther or jaguar (same family).

Also very interesting about the eyes, I did not know that either. But the part about ambush hunters, is that more of a rule of thumb than a rule? The reason I ask is because the only cooperative huning cats that I am aware of are lionesses. Tigers are solitary animals at all times other than mating (there is a joke in there but good taste prevents me from posting it) and I believe they too are ambush hunters, yet tigers are bigger than lions.

A very rare but I find interesting variant of 'cats' is the crossing of a tiger and lion, creating a hybrid that is either a Tigon or Liger, depending on which was mom and which was dad. Genetically mutants, they are a fascinating animal and the Liger (but not the Tigon) grows larger than either parent species, on average, making it the largest member of the cat family. Kind of an odd looking animal, sort of a faded tiger print over lion coloring but then again, they probably do not have many people pointing and laughing at them what with the teeth, claws and 500, 600+ pounds of driving muscle behind them.

I happened to catch a TV show about the American cougar and something that surprised me about them was that they have the greatest bite strength of all cats, per their weight, and the typical cougar method of killing is to crush the prey's skulls outright, while other large cats pinch off the windpipe from the throat and suffocate their prey.

I am just now getting re- acquainted with cats, living with my little gray lioness. :-) As always, they are most impressive (all members of this family) with their speed, precision and agility, especially so after 40 years of having only dogs. As an aside, this kitten is the first domestic cat I have ever 'met', and I have known a lot of cats, who will bat while playing without extending her claws. If you did not know better, you would think she was de-clawed because there is not even a hint of any claw when she plays. They most certainly show up when she climbs her cat- scratching post and hanging belt though.  :yikes:  The original plan was to have her de- clawed but our vet. gave us some really useful advice on how to stop misbehavior that seems to be working very well so far; I would rather not de- claw her because it really is a form of maiming, about the equivalent of taking a humans' fingers off at the first joint.

Cheetahs: excellent communicators! : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8atqdyfaQY  I know exactly what he was saying.  :rotflmao:

Brian

Yep, and that separation is called the "lesser cats" vs "greater cats", the greater ones being that of the Panthera genus (4 species) and all others are the lesser (of which there are many).

There is only one species of domestic cat, felis silvestris catus.  Cats are far more genetically resistant to changes in body shape and size than dogs and many other animals.  Breeders have tried to change that by creating hybrids with other non-domestic species, but it has been difficult.  The most successful so far is the Savanna Cat (a cross with a serval).  TICA now recognizes it as an actual breed, although CFA does not [yet].

Many consider the cheetah to be the most outlier of the cats, because they are the only ones that have non-retractable claws and run considerably faster than all others (it is the fastest land animal on earth).

Another interesting variation is that smaller cats are ambush hunters and have vertical slit pupils.  Larger cats are typically chase or group hunters and have round pupils.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2929 on: December 19, 2017, 05:42:57 PM »
And I never, ever noticed this difference before you mentioned it. Just took a look around the forum and you are right, most people top quote, bottom post. I also looked at a different (non motorcycle) forum and there too, most people seem to top quote, bottom post.

Maybe it is unusual enough to get some letters out of this? I mean after the ones in use..... LGBTQIAPK Maybe we should add TPBQ to that list, indicating Top Poster, Bottom Quoter. I do not have any other letters in that list that apply although the list seems to be getting longer all the time. And I have often felt like a lesbian trapped in the body of a man.

Hey, where'd ya' go? Oh, there you are, down there.

;D

Brian

Observation about pretty much nothing at all: One member on here, I won't state who but OK it's BDF, seems to be the only member who places his response above the quote he's responding to. This is backwards flow to me, and probably everybody else who posts their response below the quoted part. i.e. I have to scroll to the bottom to see what you're responding to. And since these replies are often quite lengthy, well, my scroll wheel finger gets tired. I suppose I could switch off and scroll with my bird finger for a while.

:P

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2930 on: December 19, 2017, 05:52:57 PM »
A The original plan was to have her de- clawed but our vet. gave us some really useful advice on how to stop misbehavior that seems to be working very well so far; I would rather not de- claw her because it really is a form of maiming, about the equivalent of taking a humans' fingers off at the first joint.

Yes, I consider it inhumane and it is actually illegal in many western countries and even some states and localities.  It is, indeed, maiming, and it permanently ruins the cat's most effective defense and climbing tools and can lead to lots of complications.  It is almost completely unnecessary if the cat is trained correctly AND given proper scratching posts (which should be made of wood, sisal rope, packed cardboard, or carpet BACKING (never carpet).  The best, by far, is wrapped sisal rope.  If the cat was not correctly trained when young, or ends up somehow a-typical, the claw tips can just be cut every month or so.  It is best to get the acclimated to messing with their claws/paws when young, in case that becomes necessary.  One can also use glued-on caps, but I think that is a bit silly.

http://www.declawing.com/
http://www.declawing.com/countries-that-outlaw-declawing

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2931 on: December 19, 2017, 05:56:43 PM »
FYI:  In Virginia [...]You have to fill out a notarized form, enclose payment, and mail to the court clerk.  They perform the necessary background check and mail back the license.
Yes, the requirements, as well as the likelihood of issuance, vary greatly by state. In my state, which is a <may issue> state (meaning they will not issue in almost all cases), fingerprints, background check, ID photos (exclusive to the CCW permit) are required, as are three references, notarized and from persons of 'known good character'. Further, there is a qualifying test

Oops, I did neglect to mention in VA you also need to supply proof of having passed an approved firearm safety course.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2932 on: December 20, 2017, 04:46:52 AM »
Yeah, that is my thinking too- I would rather not do it unless absolutely necessary, and as I said,  the vet. gave me some excellent advice on providing alternate scratching places (I have provided two, but she REALLY likes the entrance way carpet ??) and the vet. did trim her claws on the last visit last week.

Even further OFFTOPIC: (if this thread can even go offtopic), we have been amazingly successful in trainer her to be an inside cat. Per the vets' recommendation, we picked up a couple of air horns and gave the shortest blast possible when going to the door to leave, or as soon as the door was cracked upon returning to the house. It only took about 3 days to 100% train her: she is not afraid or wary of the doors in the least but she IS wary of the doors when we approach them. In the olden' days, I have used whisk brooms and water bottles to try and train cats to be inside cats with terrible success but the air- horn thing really works fantastic. Now, as we approach the door, she immediately retreats to a 'safe' distance (usually under the coffee table in the living room) and watches us leave. Not scared but very certain she does not want to be near the door while we enter / exit.

My wife likes it so much she tried it on me but I am un-trainable and just gave her longer blasts from my own air horn.

Brian

Yes, I consider it inhumane and it is actually illegal in many western countries and even some states and localities.  It is, indeed, maiming, and it permanently ruins the cat's most effective defense and climbing tools and can lead to lots of complications.  It is almost completely unnecessary if the cat is trained correctly AND given proper scratching posts (which should be made of wood, sisal rope, packed cardboard, or carpet BACKING (never carpet).  The best, by far, is wrapped sisal rope.  If the cat was not correctly trained when young, or ends up somehow a-typical, the claw tips can just be cut every month or so.  It is best to get the acclimated to messing with their claws/paws when young, in case that becomes necessary.  One can also use glued-on caps, but I think that is a bit silly.

http://www.declawing.com/
http://www.declawing.com/countries-that-outlaw-declawing

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2933 on: December 20, 2017, 04:48:31 AM »
Absolutely no safety course required here, only a very weak proficiency test of actual shooting.

But we DO have to pass a safety test one time to be able to purchase handguns. And that is a written test.

Brian

Yes, the requirements, as well as the likelihood of issuance, vary greatly by state. In my state, which is a <may issue> state (meaning they will not issue in almost all cases), fingerprints, background check, ID photos (exclusive to the CCW permit) are required, as are three references, notarized and from persons of 'known good character'. Further, there is a qualifying test

Oops, I did neglect to mention in VA you also need to supply proof of having passed an approved firearm safety course.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2934 on: December 20, 2017, 07:14:49 PM »
I've exhausted my Scotch supply.  I'm not happy.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2935 on: December 20, 2017, 07:27:47 PM »
Damn...drank all the scotch and still not happy... :_shudder_Emoticon

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2936 on: December 21, 2017, 05:16:12 AM »
Yeah, I was down to a half- bottle of Doublewood and went out to get a bottle of no- name, cheap Scotch in a genuine plastic bottle (for swilling purposes) and a bottle of Dimple Pinch. Damn store stopped carrying the Pinch so I ended up with another bottle of Doublewood (for drinking and tasting purposes). Going to have to hit another store to see if I can find a wee bit 'o the Pinch.

Me too, not happy. :-(

Brian

I've exhausted my Scotch supply.  I'm not happy.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2937 on: December 21, 2017, 10:35:46 AM »
Decided against the Scotch as I know I'm getting some for Christmas.  Got Jack Daniels #7 instead.  Indian had a special bike made in conjunction with JD#7.

http://youtu.be/a4_IZNR6xqU

All of these were sold as fast as they were manufactured.  Only 100 were built.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2938 on: December 21, 2017, 03:45:13 PM »
The group who sounded more like the Beatles than the Beatles..... Badfinger.

The first outside group signed to Apple records, way back in 1968, was Badfinger. A talented group of both songwriters and musicians, they nevertheless failed to gain sufficient 'fame and fortune' to continue for very long in the music business but to this day, the songs they wrote and performed continue to be almost cutting edge.

While formed in 1961, their first hit was not until 1970, when they performed the song 'Come and get it', written by Paul McCartney. Their first hit written and performed by group members, specifically Pete Ham, was 'No matter what', also released in 1970.

They would go on to write and perform two more hits, 'Day after Day' and 'Baby Blue', reaching into 1972. In fact, Day after Day was produced by George Harrison, who also played the slide guitar so prevalent in this song.

Pete Ham committed suicide in 1975, after believing he failed to gain any success in the music industry and further believing that a man named Stan Polley had duped them out of their share of proceeds (this part does seem accurate enough). The band would struggle on with original member Tom Evans trying to hold it together until he too committed suicide in 1983.

Nevertheless, as a group they had talent and this was recognized both during and after the principle members participation. One song they recorded, Without You, was heard by Harry Nilsson and at first he believed to be a Beatles song, but upon realizing it was done by Badfinger, he covered the song and it remains one of Nilsson's biggest hits.

Finally, the group got a huge (and justly deserved IMO) revival in 2013 when their hit 'Baby Blue' was used so very successfully in the final episode of 'Breaking Bad'. Odd how a 2010's TV series came along to revive a great song from 40- odd years before.

Brian

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #2939 on: December 22, 2017, 08:20:53 AM »
The group who sounded more like the Beatles than the Beatles..... Badfinger.

The first outside group signed to Apple records, way back in 1968, was Badfinger. A talented group of both songwriters and musicians, they nevertheless failed to gain sufficient 'fame and fortune' to continue for very long in the music business but to this day, the songs they wrote and performed continue to be almost cutting edge.

While formed in 1961, their first hit was not until 1970, when they performed the song 'Come and get it', written by Paul McCartney. Their first hit written and performed by group members, specifically Pete Ham, was 'No matter what', also released in 1970.

They would go on to write and perform two more hits, 'Day after Day' and 'Baby Blue', reaching into 1972. In fact, Day after Day was produced by George Harrison, who also played the slide guitar so prevalent in this song.

Pete Ham committed suicide in 1975, after believing he failed to gain any success in the music industry and further believing that a man named Stan Polley had duped them out of their share of proceeds (this part does seem accurate enough). The band would struggle on with original member Tom Evans trying to hold it together until he too committed suicide in 1983.

Nevertheless, as a group they had talent and this was recognized both during and after the principle members participation. One song they recorded, Without You, was heard by Harry Nilsson and at first he believed to be a Beatles song, but upon realizing it was done by Badfinger, he covered the song and it remains one of Nilsson's biggest hits.

Finally, the group got a huge (and justly deserved IMO) revival in 2013 when their hit 'Baby Blue' was used so very successfully in the final episode of 'Breaking Bad'. Odd how a 2010's TV series came along to revive a great song from 40- odd years before.

Brian

Good stuff, I see why they chose it, as the first line is "I guess I got what I deserved"
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"