Author Topic: A thread about nothing at all....  (Read 726433 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: A thread about nothing at all....
« Reply #1580 on: July 27, 2014, 03:48:34 PM »
Agreed- different things. I was merely pointing out that I find it ironic that a given area (any area, not Ohio or any other specific state) finds one minor law to be so different to enforce / notice than some other minor law. I would consider speeding by, say, 6 MPH over on an interstate and missing a front plate to be in the same league for example but here we have two different states (RI and Ohio in this discussion) that treat them very differently.

Virtually all of the construction sites were NOT actually being worked on but the Draconian measures signage was illuminated along with the light flashing (with a sign that said road construction site active when light flashing). And that was everywhere between the two big oceans with no difference I could see in Ohio. The only thing I noticed in Ohio was a couple of LEO's on the side of the construction zones with what I believe were speed measuring radar pistols and they were both outside the vehicle watching on-coming traffic.

Then on the other end of the extreme is Montana with a $20 fine for speeding not more than 15 MPH over the speed limit. And the ticket is payable on the spot. Had I known that when I was passing through, I would have done 89 MPH and taped a few $20s to my helmet.  ;D

Brian

Speeding through a construction zone and getting a citation for it is a bit different than not having a front license plate. But 2 mph over borders on CS, but if you talked to anybody that works on has seen what goes on in a construction zone, maybe 2mph isn't so CS. My beef is in Ohio, the penalties are still in effect even if there is no work going on in a marked zone.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #1581 on: July 27, 2014, 03:57:55 PM »
Ask anybody who's worked or responded to a crash or incident in a construction zone how CS a citation is for speeding.......oh, me. Last time I heard nobody ever got killed over not having a front license plate. I travel a bit myself and Ohio does seem to have a lot of police around the borders and interstates, and construction zones as there are only two seasons in Ohio, winter and construction. ;D
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1582 on: July 27, 2014, 04:50:14 PM »
I am not talking about speeding in a construction zone, other than the fact that the only place I did see any LE in any construction zone was in the state of Ohio and that was merely an observation.

But back to the point: I do not think doing 5 or 6 MPH over the speed limit on a highway (NOT in a construction zone) is any more dangerous than not having a front plate. I think both present the identical amount of danger, which is virtually zero, and both are very minor infractions. Again, my point was and is that I find it interesting how different areas find different infractions to be of such varying likelihood of getting a citation for them.

Hey, if I wanted to squabble about something I would have mentioned Hardleys, helmets, loud pipes or something like that. Not front plate violation citations.  ;) ;D

Brian

Ask anybody who's worked or responded to a crash or incident in a construction zone how CS a citation is for speeding.......oh, me. Last time I heard nobody ever got killed over not having a front license plate. I travel a bit myself and Ohio does seem to have a lot of police around the borders and interstates, and construction zones as there are only two seasons in Ohio, winter and construction. ;D
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #1583 on: July 27, 2014, 05:51:55 PM »
Don't come to Ohio I guess.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1584 on: July 27, 2014, 07:08:21 PM »
I'm going there in September...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1585 on: July 28, 2014, 06:47:13 AM »
Hey, no problem with Ohio for me. Besides, at the moment it is one of the states in-between me and where I sometimes what to get to.

Brian

Don't come to Ohio I guess.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #1586 on: July 28, 2014, 02:29:05 PM »
On my 22 mile commute into work I saw a CTS-V wagon, blue.
about five miles later into my commute, I saw a second, grey.
I thought that was highly unusual.
I've only seen about 5 ever.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1587 on: July 28, 2014, 05:05:22 PM »
OK, time to get this thread back off- track....

On 2 July, 1881, Charles J. Guiteau shot President James A. Garfield twice in the back in an attempt to assassinate Garfield. It worked but not quite the way Guiteau had envisioned; Garfield lived eleven agonizing weeks, finally succumbing to massive infections and dying on 19 September, 1881. Being charged with murder, Guiteau pleaded non guilty and used an early version of the 'insanity defense'. At one point in the trial, Guiteau even argued that the bullets did not kill Garfield but rather he was killed by infections caused by careless medical care, which was normal at the time, saying "The doctors killed Garfield, I just shot him". This is almost certainly true and accurate as the actual gun shot wounds were not lethal. Neven the less, Guiteau was found guilty and given an all- expense paid trip through the trap door of a gallows....

The point to all of this is of course is that even though Garfield was born in Ohio, he never had the slightest trouble with any vehicular law enforcement issues at all, including the infamous problems in that state regarding the use of a front license plate, tight enforcement of excessive speed laws or any difficulty whatsoever in any construction zones.

Brian

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1588 on: July 28, 2014, 09:33:54 PM »
 :rotflmao:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #1589 on: July 29, 2014, 06:43:09 AM »
OK, time to get this thread back off- track....

On 2 July, 1881, Charles J. Guiteau shot President James A. Garfield twice in the back in an attempt to assassinate Garfield. It worked but not quite the way Guiteau had envisioned; Garfield lived eleven agonizing weeks, finally succumbing to massive infections and dying on 19 September, 1881. Being charged with murder, Guiteau pleaded non guilty and used an early version of the 'insanity defense'. At one point in the trial, Guiteau even argued that the bullets did not kill Garfield but rather he was killed by infections caused by careless medical care, which was normal at the time, saying "The doctors killed Garfield, I just shot him". This is almost certainly true and accurate as the actual gun shot wounds were not lethal. Neven the less, Guiteau was found guilty and given an all- expense paid trip through the trap door of a gallows....

The point to all of this is of course is that even though Garfield was born in Ohio, he never had the slightest trouble with any vehicular law enforcement issues at all, including the infamous problems in that state regarding the use of a front license plate, tight enforcement of excessive speed laws or any difficulty whatsoever in any construction zones.

Brian

More trivia associated with this story. Todd Lincoln, who also never got a traffic citation in Ohio, was present when Garfield was shot and probably witnessed it. In fact Todd Lincoln was near 3 presidential assassinations. His father's, although he wasn't at Ford's theater was near by and of course attended his father when he was dying. Garfield and was at the exposition in Buffalo when McKinley was shot.

Offline rocknrod

• 2013 C14 - Blue
« Reply #1590 on: July 29, 2014, 09:08:16 AM »
If I didn't have a forum to hang out at during the work day I would really be bummed. This one is pretty fun  :chugbeer:
Master Chief, US Navy, Retired
2013 C14 Blue, Fenda Extenda, Radiator Screen, HeliBars, Glove Box Mod, 3M paint Protector, Rostra Cruise Control, TechSpec Tank Grips, Lowering Links and Side Stand, Front lowered, Lowered center stand, Balwin Seat.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1591 on: July 29, 2014, 09:17:55 AM »
You should see us in person- sometimes we have to put puppy pee- pads down on the furniture....

Brian

If I didn't have a forum to hang out at during the work day I would really be bummed. This one is pretty fun  :chugbeer:

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1592 on: July 29, 2014, 09:37:22 AM »
The Wright brothers, after years of intense research and experimentation, made the first powered flight by a [heavier than air] vehicle on 17 December, 1903 at Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina. NOT Kitty Hawk, North Carolina as is usually cited: that is merely the closest populated area in NC.

The area was selected for its mile climate, steady and common winds and great stretches of sandy areas, ideal for the softest possible landings for vehicles that were most likely to need a soft landing area. The location was suggested to Wilbur Wright by Octave Chanute but he was only as specific as the mid- Atlantic coast. Wilbur studied US Weather Bureau data, and that section of NC was the closest area deemed viable to Dayton, OH, where the Wright brothers lived and worked.

At least that is the history and recorded data as presented today. Personally, I wonder if there was not a deeper and more sinister reason for the Wright brothers to leave Ohio in the first place: restrictive flight laws in that state? Perhaps there were issues of transporting all of their planes and equipment on the roads in Ohio, especially through construction zones? And finally, perhaps aeroplanes (accepted spelling of airplane at that time) were required to display two license plates, thereby enraging the Wright brothers and totally spoiling the looks of Flyer I? There is no record of any of this but then again, if the whole thing was a gigantic conspiracy in the first place, there would NOT be any records. Coincidence? I think not....

Brian

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #1593 on: July 29, 2014, 10:27:54 AM »
Not to mention the extra drag it would cause ;)

The Wright brothers, after years of intense research and experimentation, made the first powered flight by a [heavier than air] vehicle on 17 December, 1903 at Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina. NOT Kitty Hawk, North Carolina as is usually cited: that is merely the closest populated area in NC.

The area was selected for its mile climate, steady and common winds and great stretches of sandy areas, ideal for the softest possible landings for vehicles that were most likely to need a soft landing area. The location was suggested to Wilbur Wright by Octave Chanute but he was only as specific as the mid- Atlantic coast. Wilbur studied US Weather Bureau data, and that section of NC was the closest area deemed viable to Dayton, OH, where the Wright brothers lived and worked.

At least that is the history and recorded data as presented today. Personally, I wonder if there was not a deeper and more sinister reason for the Wright brothers to leave Ohio in the first place: restrictive flight laws in that state? Perhaps there were issues of transporting all of their planes and equipment on the roads in Ohio, especially through construction zones? And finally, perhaps aeroplanes (accepted spelling of airplane at that time) were required to display two license plates, thereby enraging the Wright brothers and totally spoiling the looks of Flyer I? There is no record of any of this but then again, if the whole thing was a gigantic conspiracy in the first place, there would NOT be any records. Coincidence? I think not....

Brian

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1594 on: July 30, 2014, 01:33:27 PM »
Where's Strawboss? All this witty Ohio based junk and not even a peep out of him.....

:rotflmao:

Brian

Son of Pappy

« Reply #1595 on: July 30, 2014, 03:12:27 PM »
I rode the Tail of the Dragon and Cherohala on Monday.  What sucks?  I spent some time chatting with Killboy and took a bunch of pics.  Why did that suck???  I had the camera off of auto focus >:( >:( >:(  What was good?  It was Monday and traffic was very light and we got to run it both ways at a good pace.  Cherhola?  Awesome ride with great long sweepers.  We also ran the Rattlesnake on Sunday as well as bits of the Blue Ridge Parkway.  Hot and muggy sums up the weather.  1500 miles on a rental Ultra Classic was a challenge, just doesn't fit me and the limited clearance made the fun stuff a challenge.  Been a good year for riding, I have some 16,000 miles logged in so far and 80ish hours on the dirt bikes.  A year of riding I only dreamed of before my back surgery.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1596 on: August 04, 2014, 04:09:13 PM »
As the Thing from the Fantastic Four would say 'It's drinking time!'.  I've just installed my Race Tech fork compressor thingy on my workbench so that I can R&R my forks.  Not sure how well it works but if it does, all will be welcome to borrow it assuming they bring beer and possibly steaks.  Also, just started heating up the grill for hamburgers and corn tonight for supper.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #1597 on: August 04, 2014, 04:16:44 PM »
As the Thing from the Fantastic Four would say 'It's drinking time!'.  I've just installed my Race Tech fork compressor thingy on my workbench so that I can R&R my forks.  Not sure how well it works but if it does, all will be welcome to borrow it assuming they bring beer and possibly steaks.  Also, just started heating up the grill for hamburgers and corn tonight for supper.
Is that thingy mounted below the crash protected shelf?

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1598 on: August 04, 2014, 04:17:28 PM »
Good luck with the forks- the newfangled upside- down ones are more complicated than the old- fangled rightside- up ones were.

Grill: I got me a new grill a couple of years ago- one of those cheap infrared jobs. It worked well but was slow and did not put much heat to the meat (easy boys!). Then the lower steel plates rotted out and I got a new set of plates / grates / infrared radiators that have a single layer and shazam! it was like sex, only good! Fantastic! Like a great date, it is hot, fast and never flares up. I love this thing! So I have been grilling everything that won't run away and most of it is coming out fantastic. And for the first time in my entire life, I do not suck at grilling- I always though it was just that I suck at grilling but apparently those flame- shooting, grease- laden, rock- spitting things I had in the past were just lousy grills. Hey, I always buy the cheap ones and probably got everything I deserved. But this one is just great. A Char- broil 'Tru Infrared' with the stainelss steel "W" grates. Still a pretty cheap grill but I cannot imagine anything working better. The only problem with it is it is kinda' difficult to clean 'cause nothing will fall through the grate; so I just give it a good scraping with an elk's hoof and vacuum out the carbon.

Brian

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #1599 on: August 04, 2014, 04:42:24 PM »
Grill: I got me a new grill a couple of years ago- one of those cheap infrared jobs. It worked well but was slow and did not put much heat to the meat (easy boys!). Then the lower steel plates rotted out and I got a new set of plates / grates / infrared radiators that have a single layer and shazam! it was like sex, only good! Fantastic! Like a great date, it is hot, fast and never flares up. I love this thing! So I have been grilling everything that won't run away and most of it is coming out fantastic. And for the first time in my entire life, I do not suck at grilling- I always though it was just that I suck at grilling but apparently those flame- shooting, grease- laden, rock- spitting things I had in the past were just lousy grills. Hey, I always buy the cheap ones and probably got everything I deserved. But this one is just great. A Char- broil 'Tru Infrared' with the stainelss steel "W" grates. Still a pretty cheap grill but I cannot imagine anything working better. The only problem with it is it is kinda' difficult to clean 'cause nothing will fall through the grate; so I just give it a good scraping with an elk's hoof and vacuum out the carbon.

Brian

I have been debating about getting that very grill. $299 or so at Target\Home Depot. Looks like a good grill. Char-Broil Tru Infrared two burner. I read somewhere never to buy these grills on the Internet as they ship with cheaper grates.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"