Author Topic: Cross Country Transport  (Read 1713 times)

Offline AZ-ZG

Cross Country Transport
« on: April 13, 2012, 11:46:18 PM »
Any of y'all ever hire a company to haul your bike(s) cross country?

Moving in a while and I still haven't figured out how to operate 4 vehicles at once.   >:(
I live. I ride. I am. ZG14 
IBA#53928

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: Cross Country Transport
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 02:14:12 AM »
Get wife/kids/bothers/sisters/friends to drive the other 3 and you ride the Connie ;D

Offline Walker18

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 03:37:01 AM »
Put the bike in the moving van. Tow hitch one car to the moving van. Tow hitch the remaining two cars. Two drivers, 5 vehicles (moving van).
COG#8443                                                  
AMA# 1088783
2012 C-14  'Rudy'

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 04:29:41 AM »
Sounds like an algebra problem.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Elfmaze

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 06:44:08 AM »
It gets expensive to move them.  We moved a van,  two cars and two bikes.  granted this was only two hour move.  But it highlighted to me that sometimes its easier to sell the cars and buy new ones where you are going. 

The bikes fit nicely in a big enough truck,  but they do take up a lot of room.  Get a condor style stand and build a board to strap the bike down too. 

There are some good freight companies that deal with bikes.  But I haven't looked into them yet.  We were going to ship my bike to CA and ride it back to PA at some point.   I think our estimates were around 600-1000 for shipping.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 09:24:03 AM »
Check through AMA. Discounts and reputable movers.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline xsv

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 04:29:55 AM »
I used FreightCenter.com a couple of years ago to transport my 09 Concours.  1300 miles ran $566.  At the time it was the best way to get the new bike to my address.  Had it not been in February when I needed the transport I would have figured something else out.
2015 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 12:11:00 PM »
Normal movers will not handle the bikes, nor will they carry any flammable liquids, gasses, or the like.....
Found this shocking when i did my move back to Ohio from Va....
also made for some serious costs incurred, as I have 4 bikes....and various "gasoline powered yard equipments"...

You might end up doing what I did, it seemed the least cost in the big picture. Rent a one-way U-haul truck, and a car hauling trailer (not a dolly, but a trailer), and then get busy creating a palletized base from 4x4's and lumber. Northern tool supply runs sales on roll-on wheel chocks
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200409163_200409163  often you can get these $50 or less
 or this one
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200361044_200361044
both are robust enough for the Conni....
some eyebolts, tie downs, and straps and you have a palletized bike.
I got quotes for moving the 4 bikes that ran almost $1k each, and they still needed to be fuel free for the trip, add in our extra pickup truck @ another $1k+ and I was looking at almost $5k even with them price chopping....hell, my movers cost that for the house.....

all in all with the 20' truck & car hauler trailer rental, +costs for making my 4 palletized bike haulers, and everything else, I was right around $1k for everything.

and I had enough room to add the "stuff" that the movers wouldn't haul due to flammabilty issues.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..