Author Topic: Third on the list of 'most improved'  (Read 2915 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Third on the list of 'most improved'
« on: August 30, 2012, 01:38:25 PM »
is Providence RI! Yep, in just one year, the city of Providence, RI has moved from no. 5 to no. 3 on the list of Top Ten cities with the Worst Drivers! So for all you wussy types in places like NYC, Boston or LA, take a walk on the wild side and ride a motorcycle in RI for a while. At this rate, Providence should be the no. 1 city in the entire US where you are most likely to be involved in an auto accident! Good stuff….

By the way, Providence is also home to the world's widest bridge according to the Guinness Book of Records. The Crawford St. bridge complex, which actually includes a bunch of down town buildings, is built entirely over the Providence River. And now that, coupled with the shear danger, should entice people to ride here on a motorcycle for miles and miles around.

C’mon down for Waterfire which is not what you might think, when the river is so polluted that they can set it on fire like the Cayuga river, but a social gathering where the city collects large piles of wood, stacks them in steel holders in the middle of the Providence River and sets them on fire. Yeah I know but what can I say- I only live here and it wasn’t my idea.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
Re: Third on the list of 'most improved'
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 08:34:14 PM »
I'm surprised Miami isn't on the list. Miami is one really crazy place to ride, hit the Miramar junction on I-75 and it's "game on". Wick it up to 80-90 mph and watch for people passing you in Lambos and such, sometimes quickly. I enjoy it once in a while and am getting due for a fix.

Big cities that I've ridden through that just don't measure up to the adrenaline rush that is Miami:

NYC, Chicago, St Louis, Dallas, St. Louis, Mpls/STP, Toronto, Montreal(Montreal is close), Baltimore, D.C., Atlanta, Nashville, L.A., Phoenix, Cleveland, Columbus OH, Boston, Tampa, there are more. I'm thinking it's because it's pretty much now So America now in Miami.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Son of Pappy

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 09:57:30 PM »
They musta been afraid to check out Portland, OR.  By far the worst I have ever driven in is Brussels, Belgium.  Makes US drivers tame, all of em :o

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 10:20:27 PM »
They musta been afraid to check out Portland, OR.

:rotflmao:

Too true...

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 03:49:21 AM »
They musta been afraid to check out Portland, OR.  By far the worst I have ever driven in is Brussels, Belgium.  Makes US drivers tame, all of em :o
Yerup is a whole other deal, Rome is insane.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline udoggie

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 07:53:12 AM »
Portland, OR drivers are relatively tame (I live here) -- If you want to see insane, go to Cairo (Egypt).  Seriously, most cars didn't have the side view mirrors, and many that did had them dangling from the control cable...

Is there a link to the source article for the thread?  It might make an interesting read.

UD
Aloha, OR.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 12:31:36 PM »
I can't remember where I originally got that info. but I think it was local (I live in RI but not Providence). The data comes from an Allstate review of traffic accident data. You can see some poor tabulated listings here: http://www.moneytalksnews.com/2012/08/28/safest-and-most-dangerous-cities-for-driving/   Providence shows up as # 193 out of 195 listed.

The Allstate data does not appear in full, at least not that I could find on their site: http://www.allstatenewsroom.com/channels/News-Releases/releases/where-do-american-cities-rank-in-eighth-annual-allstate-america-s-best-drivers-report

Just my opinion but riding through Boston and even worse, around it on the beltway, during rush hour traffic, maxes out my adrenaline as far as riding or driving goes. I-95 / Rt. 128 is a true horror show with fast moving traffic, no gaps between cars and aggressive driving taken to a really amazing level. Manhattan is relatively relaxing by comparison.

No opinion on driving anywhere other than limited exposure to Western Europe and North America but I would not be surprised at virtually anything in parts of Africa or parts of Asia.

Brian

Portland, OR drivers are relatively tame (I live here) -- If you want to see insane, go to Cairo (Egypt).  Seriously, most cars didn't have the side view mirrors, and many that did had them dangling from the control cable...

Is there a link to the source article for the thread?  It might make an interesting read.

UD
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 07:51:29 AM »
Jeez, ya know, one river fire and they remember it forever. ;D 1968 BTW. And it was the Cuyahoga River, which means "crooked". And we didn't "set" it on fire on purpose either, we throw out trash away proper now, in the approved land fill. Its real nice now though, theres even fish in it, I wouldn't eat them. Cuyahoga county sadly will now be remembered for county offices corruption. Not as spectacular to some as a few logs burning in the water.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Son of Pappy

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, 10:59:59 AM »
Jeez, ya know, one river fire and they remember it forever. ;D 1968 BTW. And it was the Cuyahoga River, which means "crooked". And we didn't "set" it on fire on purpose either, we throw out trash away proper now, in the approved land fill. Its real nice now though, theres even fish in it, I wouldn't eat them. Cuyahoga county sadly will now be remembered for county offices corruption. Not as spectacular to some as a few logs burning in the water.
When I was a kid we'd my friends would take drift logs, soak em in gas, and set em free out in the sound.  Pretty cool, right up to the USCG showing up.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2012, 06:42:38 PM »
Now thats funny SOP!
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50