Author Topic: Colo. sheriff refuses to enforce gun-control bills  (Read 7032 times)

Offline Cholla

• Arena
Re: Colo. sheriff refuses to enforce gun-control bills
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2013, 04:07:24 AM »
The politicians there should be removed from their jobs for illegal acts y passing laws that are unconstitutional. I don't care what your position is on the matter. These people know they are breaking the law of the land. They should be prosecuted.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2013, 04:23:16 AM »
   If the Sheriff refuses to do his job his employer should fire him. Now if he unintensonily looked the other way that would be different. I guess he is not too bright.

His employer are the citizens of that county.  He's an elected official.  He can't be 'fired' as such.   He can be arrested for malfeasance  of office but that is a stretch no prosecutor would reach for in this case.  I imagine that he could be recalled, though.  He can say what he wants and tell his deputies what to enforce or not.  As long as the citizens of that county support him he's fully within his elected office to do what he wants to do and say regardless of what is passed in the state legislature.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2013, 04:26:21 AM »
The politicians there should be removed from their jobs for illegal acts y passing laws that are unconstitutional. I don't care what your position is on the matter. These people know they are breaking the law of the land. They should be prosecuted.

Can't do that either.  Passing laws that are deemed unconstitutional through due process happens all the time from both sides of the aisle in both state and federal governments whether you agree or not.  It's the political process we know and love (well maybe not so much).  However, if you are arguing for a monarch of sorts......
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2013, 05:01:41 AM »
Very interesting read.

http://cspoa.org/sheriffs-gun-rights/

Growing List of Sheriffs, Associations and Police Chiefs Saying ‘NO’ to Obama Gun Control
Posted on March 20, 2013

And the rest.

http://cspoa.org/red-coat-list/
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 05:40:53 AM by gPink »

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2013, 08:31:02 AM »
Very interesting read.

http://cspoa.org/sheriffs-gun-rights/

Growing List of Sheriffs, Associations and Police Chiefs Saying ‘NO’ to Obama Gun Control
Posted on March 20, 2013

And the rest.

http://cspoa.org/red-coat-list/

I might have to donate some money to this group.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2013, 08:43:00 AM »
Can't do that either.  Passing laws that are deemed unconstitutional through due process happens all the time from both sides of the aisle in both state and federal governments whether you agree or not.  It's the political process we know and love (well maybe not so much).  However, if you are arguing for a monarch of sorts......
Yes, you can. Elected officials are subject to recall by the voters.
That argument is like saying people commit murder all the time so it is legal.
Just because it's done all the time doesn't make it legal or Constitutional.
That's what people tend to forget.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2013, 09:29:30 AM »
Yes, you can. Elected officials are subject to recall by the voters.
That argument is like saying people commit murder all the time so it is legal.
Just because it's done all the time doesn't make it legal or Constitutional.
That's what people tend to forget.

So they are...doesn't happen real often and when it does sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.  We're not talking murder here, Cholla.  If the folks in CO don't like what they're elected officials are doing then of course they can try for a recall.  However, just because you don't like something doesn't mean everyone else has the same opinion on the subject.  What you or I think is Constitutional has no bearing on anything unless we're Supreme Court Justices...  I just looked and I'm pretty sure I'm not one of those guys.  I don't think that you are either.  We can argue until the Kaws come home but it won't change either of our opinions on the subject I think.

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2013, 11:31:34 AM »
So they are...doesn't happen real often and when it does sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.  We're not talking murder here, Cholla.  If the folks in CO don't like what they're elected officials are doing then of course they can try for a recall.  However, just because you don't like something doesn't mean everyone else has the same opinion on the subject.  What you or I think is Constitutional has no bearing on anything unless we're Supreme Court Justices...  I just looked and I'm pretty sure I'm not one of those guys.  I don't think that you are either.  We can argue until the Kaws come home but it won't change either of our opinions on the subject I think.

Sounds rational to me. 8)
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2013, 02:33:19 PM »
Still doesn't make it right. This sheriff is doing what's right.
If a law is unConstitutional how can he legally enforce it?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2013, 04:27:26 PM »
Until a law has been challenged by the courts and found to be un-Constitutional it isn't...no matter what you or I or the Sheriff's think.  However, laws can be removed and new ones written.  Keeps all the lawyers, politicians, and bureaucrats in business.

Offline Dalroo

• 2B1 - ASK1
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2013, 10:14:27 AM »
Seems to me laws are selectively enforced every day at all levels.

It is illegal to enter the US without documentation, but when AZ felt the laws weren't being enforced from the Federal level, they took measures to enforce at the State level. This went to the courts because the Feds felt the State was overstepping their boundaries by enforcing a law that the Feds have chosen to ignore.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2013, 10:26:04 AM »
What ever happened with that or is it still going through the courts?

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2013, 11:30:07 AM »
So if the courts don't say a law that limits our rights is unconstitutional it's legal?

I wave the BS flag!
That just goes to show how the powers that be have corrupted the system and how we have allowed it.

DUI checkpoints come to mind quickly. We kow they are illegal yet judges say they aren't.
If a judge creates a law from the bench is it legal?
Remember, according to CotUS judges cannot make laws.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2013, 11:35:24 AM »
In the immortal words of Mr. Spock: The needs of the many outweigh the needs rights of the few.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2013, 11:52:42 AM »
And he should have said "the wants of the few outweigh the rights of the many".

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2013, 02:24:36 PM »
 ;D

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2013, 03:25:28 PM »
I wants many drinks and that outweighs the few.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2013, 07:06:05 PM »
Sounds ok to me, Poke.