Author Topic: Leaking fork seal on new 2011 - Warranty repair or no? (6 weeks old and 3300 mi)  (Read 6217 times)

Offline Lone-Rider

I bought a new 2011 at the end of June, after about 1400 miles, I noticed the tell tale ring of nasty on the left fork suggesting a bad seal. Cleaned it up and it came back, so with just over 3000 now I asked the dealer about fixing it when setting up the service for the rear brake recall.

They are giving me a line that Kawasaki might not cover it (seals being a "wear" item and all) and that I might be on the hook for a $500 repair since it didn't happen in the first 500 miles or so (didn't notice it on the break in maint, but then I wasn't looking either).

So what is the group think on this? I am thinking clearly BS, while it may be "wear" it certainly isn't normal wear. With the inverted forks and "shield" of the front fender protecting the piston, is there even a way for something to have caused this and it NOT be a defect?

A little torqued that with a 3 year warranty (and the $319 I just paid to stretch it to 6 years..) I am already looking at such a repair bill only 6 weeks into ownership.

They gave me a number to call to see about coverage and said they would be calling as well. Anyone else had any issues or dealings with warranty folks on such a matter?

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Stealership BS. Warranty work. JMHO

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline JeffM

Before you spend that kind of cash on your own, give this doohickey a try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USac5G4SI-U

Offline jamiemac

Before you spend that kind of cash on your own, give this doohickey a try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USac5G4SI-U
Yes. It's worth doing this, just so You don't have to leave your bike at the dealer. Only takes a few minutes.
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
I bought a new 2011 at the end of June, after about 1400 miles, I noticed the tell tale ring of nasty on the left fork suggesting a bad seal. Cleaned it up and it came back, so with just over 3000 now I asked the dealer about fixing it when setting up the service for the rear brake recall.

They are giving me a line that Kawasaki might not cover it (seals being a "wear" item and all) and that I might be on the hook for a $500 repair since it didn't happen in the first 500 miles or so (didn't notice it on the break in maint, but then I wasn't looking either).

So what is the group think on this? I am thinking clearly BS, while it may be "wear" it certainly isn't normal wear. With the inverted forks and "shield" of the front fender protecting the piston, is there even a way for something to have caused this and it NOT be a defect?

A little torqued that with a 3 year warranty (and the $319 I just paid to stretch it to 6 years..) I am already looking at such a repair bill only 6 weeks into ownership.

They gave me a number to call to see about coverage and said they would be calling as well. Anyone else had any issues or dealings with warranty folks on such a matter?

Thats BS. My bike had 20,000 miles and the stealer fixed a fork leak under warranty (I didn't even consider a fork leak worth looking at). Kawi covered it, I almost felt like the dealer was robbing Kawi LoL

Go to  reputable stealership.  I think that price is crazy too they want to charge you (bend the ^%$# over), they would never get that much from Kawi is the prob.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
That's one of the few problems I've seen with Kwak.  The dealers are all over the place when it comes to warranty work or recalls.  There isn't any standardization.  It's up to the OP, but I would find another dealer and offer them your business if they'll work with you.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
Not that it will help, but I would contact Kawasaki and complain to "them".
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Not that it will help, but I would contact Kawasaki and complain to "them".

Yeah, Mark at Kawi is just waiting by the phone to give us all the brush-off.  Or maybe they fired him by now and someone better runs customer care at Kawi-USA in Cali
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
Yeah, Mark at Kawi is just waiting by the phone to give us all the brush-off.  Or maybe they fired him by now and someone better runs customer care at Kawi-USA in Cali

Heard about that twat, Kawasaki honestly doesnt care much about their motorcycles like they used to. ::) Had a dealer tell me that most all their money is made on their industrial line of mower engines, jet skis, and utility vehicles. They do care about the motorcycles, but not their main bread and butter these days. I am seriously considering a Yamaha next, the Tenere is looking really good to me. I would really be interested in the Honda V4 Crosstourer, time will tell with that bike. I love my C14, but Ohio roads are so rough that I miss my old Vstrom at times.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Conrad

Fired Mark? No way, after all the money he's save the company I'm sure that he's been promoted by now.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline feelergaugephil

@lonerider, thats utter BS, if your mechanicly inclined, get that fork leg off, ship it to me and I'll fix it for free (labor) just send the new seal with it... I cant stand stealerships that rip people off.
Problem solved.
Dont take my LOW post count as being a new Connie owner, I have been with the "other site" before it imploded........

13 Connie dressed in blue

Offline Lone-Rider

@lonerider, thats utter BS, if your mechanicly inclined, get that fork leg off, ship it to me and I'll fix it for free (labor) just send the new seal with it... I cant stand stealerships that rip people off.
Problem solved.

I appreciate the offer, dealership is going to look at it and if there is no damage going to try and get it covered. They have ordered the seal kit, in the meantime I have order and will try the  Sealmate tool in the link from an earlier post.

Will keep you posted...

Offline feelergaugephil

I like to offer my services when I can when I hear about stealerships.........
I'm restoring a 1980 GS1100E for a customer, when he dropped it off he was concerned about the left fork seal leaking and advised that the DEALER fixed the fork seals several years ago but only put on 1600 miles since then....
I opened up the left fork and was instantly SHOCKED!!!!! one of the MECHANICS had actually tried to pry out the fork seal with a screwdriver WHILE THE FORK TUBE was still attached to the fork leg, they left deep pry marks in the chrome!!!!! they didn't even replace the other side even though he PAID for both to be done!!!!!
Dont take my LOW post count as being a new Connie owner, I have been with the "other site" before it imploded........

Offline m919

That is BS! You should not have to pay a dime at all!
2009 kawasaki concours (red)
1999 honda valkyrie(sold)
2002 honda cb919(sold)

Offline twowheeladdict

Heard about that twat, Kawasaki honestly doesnt care much about their motorcycles like they used to. ::) Had a dealer tell me that most all their money is made on their industrial line of mower engines, jet skis, and utility vehicles. They do care about the motorcycles, but not their main bread and butter these days. I am seriously considering a Yamaha next, the Tenere is looking really good to me. I would really be interested in the Honda V4 Crosstourer, time will tell with that bike. I love my C14, but Ohio roads are so rough that I miss my old Vstrom at times.

Interesting.  I find the opposite to be true.  Look at how many years these bikes went unchanged.  Concours, Voyager, KLR250, KLR650, Ninja 250, Vulcan 750, Vulcan 500, etc.

Now look at the bikes today.  Most are on a 3 year cycle for improvments.

To the original poster:  Your dealer is full of BS.  If they are going to question every warranty item you are going to be miserable.  I know I hate to have to fight for what is right, but I will.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline feelergaugephil

Dealers are pathetic, I refuse to go to my local dealer, (truth be known) I go to the yamaha dealer now to get any parts, they order thru some company rather than the other dealer....
And, here's one for you.... (I'll try keep it short)  I had my 08, was on vacation in Deals Gap, I came round one of the tight curves and felt like I was pulling an 18 wheeler behind me, pulled over and the rear disc was red hot and smoking!
I let it cool down, and found the rear wheel LOCKED UP! I called the dealer and told him that the rear brake had locked up and wont release, they told me to bring it in, I told them where I was approx 700 miles away, "well, there's nothing we can do is there"
Right there and then told me what I was dealing with....
I ended up cutting the brake line, letting all the brake fluid come out, then the back brake released.
Awful 2 days left riding without a back brake around N.Carolina till I got back.
Dealer  advised that THEY WILL NOT COVER ANYTHING BECAUSE I INTENTLY DAMAGED THE BRAKING SYSTEM.

I called Kawasaki and spoke with a rep, told him the whole situation, he apologized, 45 mins later he had a wrecker truck come to my house, pick up my 08 and take it to another dealer.
They replaced the rear line, rotor, caliper, brake pads and ABS module, and brake pedal.
So, I dont go near my local Kawasaki dealer even though its 3 miles away.

Offline Lone-Rider

Picked the bike up today after having the brake recall done and the left fork seal replaced.

They covered it under warranty, the tech said it appeared to be bug related. No fork damage, but evidently some bug whom met his fate on high speed impact got his posthumous revenge by working his corrosive innards into the seal where it successfully managed to compromise it's oil sealing ability.

All better now, word to the wise, wipe them forks down daily- don't let bug guts dry and work their way in.   

Offline pistole

- isn't the exposed portions of the fork sliders protected by the wind deflector ?

Offline ZG

• Arena
word to the wise, wipe them forks down daily

Especially if they're Ohlins... long and slow strokes and she'll pur, oh wait, maybe that's me...  ;)