Author Topic: Homemade trailer hitch for C14  (Read 12583 times)

Son of Pappy

Re: Homemade trailer hitch for C14
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2012, 06:38:16 PM »
The answer may be as simple as the design, how about a pair of mini shocks or short, stout springs tying the main hoop and upper brackets?  Didn't they use them on seats for hard tails?  Slot the hoop, add a through connector to the bracket for horizontal rigidity and allow for the vertical travel.  I'm not an engineer, but I did sleep on the mountain last night ;)

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2012, 07:04:36 PM »
Back to the drawing board.

Here is a link to one from the other board, it's not clear to me how the upper part is attached
to the receiver but I guess one can assume it just curves around and down the under side of the fender.
The horizontal loads seem easy to address, it's the vertical load that has me a bit skeptical.  Especially
if one is planning two up with a trailer. The subframe seems to be able to carry a passenger and three loaded
bags OK, but a bridge it ain't.

Here is a picture of another one that I stole/borrowed from somewhere (?,Here?,sorry don't know where I got it.)

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2012, 03:54:24 AM »
^ CAR TIRE!!!!!! (2nd photo)  :-X
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

MGvalerio

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2012, 07:22:09 AM »
Guardando le 2 soluzioni ..per gancio traino ..entrambi mi sembrano molto pericolose perché subiscono il molleggio della sospensione Tetra Lever. ::)
Looking for the 2 solutions .. towbar .. both seem very dangerous because they suffer the suspension of the suspension Tetra Lever. ::)

MGvalerio. :)

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2012, 09:53:01 AM »
Hey kawacop1642,

How about if you cut off the flat pc that the ball mounts two, add two pc on 1/2" I.D. tubing to where you removed the flat part, add a pc of the same tubing to the flat part that was removed, and use a pin to connect it back together. Think "Door Hinge". Just a thought .....
The Pope

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2012, 11:34:19 AM »
Bump,....

Back to the drawing board.
.... so kawacop' any updates for us?   :popcorn:

Offline kawacop1642

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2012, 04:58:19 PM »
Well Marty,
  My welder burned up and I just don't have the proper tools to make the real tricky stuff. Trying to figure out a bracket system from the seat rail to hold the weight of the trailer was just to dificult for me to make. The easy part was the round bar which I refit to the rear foot peg bracket. So I decided to brake down and order a hitch from a place called, "Custom Cruiser Chrome". They are located in Canada. They manufacture and sell Delray hitches. $340.95 plus shipping. I'll send some pics when I get it installed.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2012, 11:24:26 PM »
Well Marty,
  My welder burned up
Sounds bad, sorry to hear that.  :(  Harbor Freight welder?

So I decided to order a hitch from a place called, "Custom Cruiser Chrome". They are located in Canada. They manufacture and sell Delray hitches. $340.95 plus shipping. I'll send some pics when I get it installed.

Sounds good, at first I was worried but right now the conversion is $344. and change in US$ (plus shipping). Not too bad*.
Yeah, please share the details when you can. Thanks!  :)

*This is what happens when one buys a new Garmin Zumo 665, and the French tip-over sliders. One starts to become immune to farkle sticker shock at anything under $500.  ::)

Offline kawacop1642

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2012, 02:54:30 PM »
Got the new Delray hitch today and installed it. Really good setup, and pretty easy install. Just a few mods needed. Here's a few pics.

Offline kawacop1642

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2012, 02:57:03 PM »
Couple more pics with hard bags on and top case.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2012, 03:15:15 PM »
*This is what happens when one buys a new Garmin Zumo 665, and the French tip-over sliders. One starts to become immune to farkle sticker shock at anything under $500.  ::)

Unfortunately I agree...  :-\

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2012, 03:52:26 PM »
Thanks for the photos. Can you take a few from the side?

Also you said that there were a few mods, care to expand on that?
The Pope

Offline kawacop1642

« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2012, 05:31:26 PM »
Pope,
  The mods were as follows;

The two zink plated supports that hold the rear fender/tail have to be removed. I removed the two bolts and then drilled out the rivets to remove them. This is where the frame rail bracket will bolt to and join another bracket under the fender. Very easy mod.
  Also, the main brackets that are welded to the round tubing bolt up behind the rear foot peg bracket. therefore, the two holes that the factory bolts thread into need to be drilled out slightly larger to accomodate the new longer bolts supplied with the kit.
  The last mod was removong the rear rubber mounts attached to the underside of the seat, and cutting off the long plastic guide next to it so the the seat will lock in place. This is because the mounting brackets are located at the top of the seat rail under those rubber mounts.
  It was a very easy install that only took a little over an hour.

Offline kawacop1642

« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2012, 05:34:42 PM »
This is the instructions. hope it comes through.

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2012, 05:39:49 PM »
Thanks!
The Pope

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2012, 06:40:21 AM »
Thanks kawacop !!  Looks like all you need now is a rear fender extender to keep things clean.

'xtender or not, let us know how it tows for you, and thanks again for sharing all the details.  :goodpost:

Offline kawacop1642

« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2012, 08:06:18 AM »
Your welcomed. Anything to help out.
 Any Ideas where to find that fender extender cheap?

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2012, 09:49:33 AM »
Any Ideas where to find that fender extender cheap?

See third post.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=128.0
The Pope

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2012, 12:57:03 PM »
See third post.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=128.0

Yep that's it: http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=128.msg849#msg849 You may even want to
pop rivit a small flapper at the bottom of that to help keep things even cleaner and slow down rocks etc.