Author Topic: air wings for your hands  (Read 43415 times)

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
Re: air wings for your hands
« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2011, 05:21:15 PM »
Actually, he meant that silver is better.    ;)

Why of course!  Is there any color that blends into it's surrounding better than Neutron Silver[dammit]? 

Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Flathead

« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2011, 05:36:09 PM »
Why of course!  Is there any color that blends into it's surrounding better than Neutron Silver[dammit]?

How about the 2005 (I think) gold/tan color  ;D

Offline Spanky

« Reply #62 on: October 18, 2011, 12:47:35 PM »
Just installed the baker air wings. I have a Cee Baileys shield in dark grey and the hand wings (new design, dark tint) match perfect. They installed in a couple of minutes. I have not ridden with them yet, but I hope they cut wind flow over my hands in the cold weather.

Offline MrFurious

« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2011, 05:17:11 AM »
Here's a silly question....

I've been contemplating getting some form of air deflectors for my hands (bit chilly here in Ohio lately), and while looking at my bike yesterday I realized something.  Why doesn't someone just make a windshield that has built-in wings to keep the wind off your hands?  There's nothing that would be in the way to prevent doing so, and it would eliminate the (IMO) crappy looking brackets most of the bolt-on wings use. 

Have a buddy who actually works for National Cycle, might have to run that idea by him.
Jim B.
COG #9642
2009 C14 - Black - Non-ABS
Insanity is not as easy as I make it look!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #64 on: November 02, 2011, 05:18:19 AM »
Here's a silly question....

I've been contemplating getting some form of air deflectors for my hands (bit chilly here in Ohio lately), and while looking at my bike yesterday I realized something.  Why doesn't someone just make a windshield that has built-in wings to keep the wind off your hands?  There's nothing that would be in the way to prevent doing so, and it would eliminate the (IMO) crappy looking brackets most of the bolt-on wings use. 

Have a buddy who actually works for National Cycle, might have to run that idea by him.

And what happens when you raise the windshield?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline MrFurious

« Reply #65 on: November 02, 2011, 06:13:17 AM »

Well, if designed properly it would provide wind protection to the hands through the full range of the windshield's movement.  Might be a little harder to do for the `10+ models with their higher mirrors, but there's more than enough room on the 08-09 models.  Most cooler weather/touring windshields will be taller anyway, so how far one would have to raise it would be minimized. 
Jim B.
COG #9642
2009 C14 - Black - Non-ABS
Insanity is not as easy as I make it look!

Offline Caffeinated

• Arena
« Reply #66 on: November 02, 2011, 09:34:59 AM »
I noticed an 08 trade-in for sale at my local dealer that had pieces of Lexan bolted onto the sides of a Cee Bailey's screen giving it an extra 5 or so inches of coverage on the sides. It was cut to conform to the same shape, but just stuck out on the sides.  Unfortunately I did not think to take a pic of it.
Chris (COG# 8538), Bristow, Va
2012 Black Concours 1400
2011 Silver Concours 1400 (Totaled)
2002 Silver Concours (sold), 06 Vulcan 900LT (sold), 03 VStar 650 (sold)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2011, 04:28:03 PM »

Or if you need to fold your mirrors to fit in your cover...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #68 on: November 30, 2011, 05:37:15 PM »
FYI, it looks like ProjektD is now making these for the 2010+ Connies too now, I was just on their site and it's listed for the December new products... I'm real happy with the ones I bought from them for my 09.  :)   :thumbs:

Here's the link:
http://projektd.com/product_info.php?products_id=187

Offline b206driver

« Reply #69 on: December 01, 2011, 01:57:00 PM »
ZG - Do you have a stock or aftermarket windshield? I had a pair of Flatheads airwings, but they contacted the CalSci windshield I have mounted. Just wondering if these will work with my windshield....the Cal Sci is about 4" wider if I recall.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #70 on: December 01, 2011, 02:09:54 PM »
The original Metalbender hand wings also interfere with the CalSci windshields- those windshields have corners that project much more than the stock windshield and apparently Cee Bailey windshields too. I have metalbender's wings and a CalSci +6 and can only put the windshield down about 2/3 of the way before the corners strike the deflectors.

Brian

ZG - Do you have a stock or aftermarket windshield? I had a pair of Flatheads airwings, but they contacted the CalSci windshield I have mounted. Just wondering if these will work with my windshield....the Cal Sci is about 4" wider if I recall.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #71 on: December 01, 2011, 02:24:45 PM »

I'm currently wearing a Kawi tall shield and they clear no problem, I even changed the angle by swapping the spacers for more protection since I have Heli risers and Murph's wedges. My Connie is an 09 and I have the 08/09 wings from ProjektD...

Offline PH14

« Reply #72 on: December 01, 2011, 05:10:04 PM »
The original Metalbender hand wings also interfere with the CalSci windshields- those windshields have corners that project much more than the stock windshield and apparently Cee Bailey windshields too. I have metalbender's wings and a CalSci +6 and can only put the windshield down about 2/3 of the way before the corners strike the deflectors.

Brian

This is the issue I am having. I am trying to decide whether to get the ProjektDs or the Motax and I have a CalSci windshield as well. I have a 2009 C14. Any thoughts? Anyone know whether either one or both would work?

I currently have Bakers on the bike, however when I ordered them Baker sent two different brackets, they have slightly different bends and with all my traveling I never did anything about it. I love them for Spring through Fall since I can turn them for airflow or protection, but was thinking of going with something else for a bit more protection for Winter.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #73 on: December 01, 2011, 05:27:36 PM »
Me too- I have both the Baker's hand wings and Metalbender's (similar to the ProjectD type) and often use the Metalbenders in the winter. The Bakers are fantastic to turn inward in the summer but do not provide as much protection. Last winter I used the Bakers all year and they were adequate but this year I changed back to Metalbenders (last week in fact).

Once it is late enough in the year to be absolutely sure that I won't want to turn the deflectors inward I find the larger types work must better. The Bakers are adequate but Metalbenders are excellent, protection- wise speaking. Bakers are also a bit of a pain to clean, at least on the inside.

The problem with interference seems to be more the CalSci windshield than the hand guards. Even the Baker hand wings have very little room for the windshield to move down and have to be adjusted to almost the exact right degree of rotation. So far I have been pretty lucky in catching myself when lowering the windshield with the hand guards in place but I have bumped them a few times. There is not a lot of force generated because there is not much interference even with the windshield all the way down (because it rotates as it sinks) but the corners of the windshield will scar the deflectors fairly quickly I think.

Brian

This is the issue I am having. I am trying to decide whether to get the ProjektDs or the Motax and I have a CalSci windshield as well. I have a 2009 C14. Any thoughts? Anyone know whether either one or both would work?

I currently have Bakers on the bike, however when I ordered them Baker sent two different brackets, they have slightly different bends and with all my traveling I never did anything about it. I love them for Spring through Fall since I can turn them for airflow or protection, but was thinking of going with something else for a bit more protection for Winter.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #74 on: December 01, 2011, 05:29:18 PM »

Which size Cal shield do you have PH? Or are they all the same in the lower width dimension down where the wings would go??  ??? 

Offline Khrome

« Reply #75 on: December 01, 2011, 07:31:21 PM »
FYI, it looks like ProjektD is now making these for the 2010+ Connies too now.

Yes they are, they emailed me last week to let me know since I had previously inquired...  8)
Khrome 2011 C14...09 Kaw Voyager...08 Yam WR250X...07 Yam FJR...06 Suz M109...04 Yam RoadStar...03 Kaw ZZR 1200... 02Kaw ZRX1200...01 KTM LC4...00 Kaw KLR 650...99 Kaw C10...98 Kaw ZRX 1100...94 Kaw Zephyr 750...85 Kaw 454LTD...79 Honda XL250S

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #76 on: December 01, 2011, 09:24:56 PM »
FYI, it looks like ProjektD is now making these for the 2010+ Connies too now, I was just on their site and it's listed for the December new products... I'm real happy with the ones I bought from them for my 09.  :)   :thumbs:

Thanks for the info.  Looks good, just not adjustable :(
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline PH14

« Reply #77 on: December 01, 2011, 10:17:31 PM »
The problem with interference seems to be more the CalSci windshield than the hand guards. Even the Baker hand wings have very little room for the windshield to move down and have to be adjusted to almost the exact right degree of rotation. So far I have been pretty lucky in catching myself when lowering the windshield with the hand guards in place but I have bumped them a few times. There is not a lot of force generated because there is not much interference even with the windshield all the way down (because it rotates as it sinks) but the corners of the windshield will scar the deflectors fairly quickly I think.

Brian

Thanks Brian. I probably shouldn't worry about it too much since there is no need to put the windshield down all the way in the Winter anyway. I would take the ProjekDs or Motax deflectors off once it gets warm anyway.

ZG, I have the medium windshield. It was medium back when I bought it in June of 2010 but their sizing may have changed between then and now. I think at the bottom they are all the same though.

I just rode home tonight and it is 26 degrees out. I came out to the bike and the seat was covered in frost.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #78 on: December 02, 2011, 04:45:33 AM »
Thanks Brian. I probably shouldn't worry about it too much since there is no need to put the windshield down all the way in the Winter anyway. I would take the ProjekDs or Motax deflectors off once it gets warm anyway.

ZG, I have the medium windshield. It was medium back when I bought it in June of 2010 but their sizing may have changed between then and now. I think at the bottom they are all the same though.

I just rode home tonight and it is 26 degrees out. I came out to the bike and the seat was covered in frost.

Aren't all the CalSci shields the same dimensions as far as width goes? I have the CalSci tinted shorty and it works perfectly with my Motax deflectors. I have pics if you want to see?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline PH14

« Reply #79 on: December 02, 2011, 10:04:18 AM »
Aren't all the CalSci shields the same dimensions as far as width goes? I have the CalSci tinted shorty and it works perfectly with my Motax deflectors. I have pics if you want to see?

I believe they are the same at the bottom. Pics are always good but I take your word for it. How do you like them for coverage?