Author Topic: air wings for your hands  (Read 43312 times)

Offline DenverC-14

Re: air wings for your hands
« Reply #100 on: December 05, 2011, 09:46:53 PM »
Thanks Conrad...
Another member on the forum has offered to play guinea pig with an '08-09. Problem right now is the weather, snowed again last night and a high of 7° today. I'll post up when we have success!

Bill
I'm said guinea pig.. it's -5 right now, with 5 inches of ice, at my place.. Damn weather not playing nice. I think in  a week or 2 it might be decent enough to get out on the bike and not totally freeze/slide down the driveway :p

Flathead

« Reply #101 on: December 05, 2011, 10:51:11 PM »
@dweller, I do use heat. 1/8" Lexan can be bent cold with a sheet metal break but you have to over bend it quite a bit due to the spring-back. I'm trying to stay with one piece to keep the costs low, KISS principle.

@Denver: If it does not clear up soon I could drive up and try and get some initial cardboard patterns?? The 2010 model required quite a few trial and error attempts before I was satisfied with both looks and function.

Offline DenverC-14

« Reply #102 on: December 05, 2011, 10:58:49 PM »
@dweller, I do use heat. 1/8" Lexan can be bent cold with a sheet metal break but you have to over bend it quite a bit due to the spring-back. I'm trying to stay with one piece to keep the costs low, KISS principle.

@Denver: If it does not clear up soon I could drive up and try and get some initial cardboard patterns?? The 2010 model required quite a few trial and error attempts before I was satisfied with both looks and function.
+1 sounds like a plan

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #103 on: December 08, 2011, 10:59:15 AM »
Okay, I just ordered them in the fume' noir, or black. Thanks!

Hey PH, have your noir wings arrived yet? How dark are they? How much did they charge you including shipping?

I'm just looking for a back-up plan in case my tinting project doesn't turn out to my expectations/standards...  ;)

Offline PH14

« Reply #104 on: December 14, 2011, 07:09:46 PM »

Hey PH, have your noir wings arrived yet? How dark are they? How much did they charge you including shipping?

I'm just looking for a back-up plan in case my tinting project doesn't turn out to my expectations/standards...  ;)

I just got them today/ I thought that wasn't bad. I ordered them on December 2, they shipped them on the 9th and I received them today.  Shipping was $15.59 and the total price including shipping was $105.54. Kind of pricy but I liked the way they looked and I was going for something that would work with the CalSci windshield. More on that later.

I think the smoked gray would have been dark enough but I was going for as dark as I could go. outside it all seems to blend in well, in the pictures it doesn't blend as well. Overall I'm happy with the way they look.

I am planning on painting the mount, they are bare metal basically. It is sort of a brushed finish. I'm going to pain them matte black. Come to think of it, I could paint the entire deflector that color and it would match the rest of the plastic bodywork. I'm not sure I'll go that far though.

If you don't like the GTR logo, it doesn't really show with the black smoked.

I wasn't thrilled with the fact the mounts had a film on the back I had to peel off. It is a protective film they hadn't removed. It wasn't a big deal but it also covered the GTR logo and was hard to remove from that part. If you had the gray smoked you would have to clean that area up a bit.

My CalSci windshield does hit the deflectors when it is lowered. It isn't really an issue since I will be running the windshield in pretty much the highest setting over the cold months. I could possibly bend back the bracket but that might make them less effective at blocking the wind. I may slot the mounting holes a bit more before painting them to allow them to be moved back a bit. It wouldn't take much.

They seem to fit well overall and look good. I think they look better than the Bakers and the definitely fit better. Baker sent me two different brackets so they never fit really well. I never got around to having them send me the right brackets. They worked so I didn't deal with it. Before I put them on in the Summer I will.

These seem to keep the wind off my hands, but the wind flows just over my hands. I am running the bars int eh stock positing right now so I'm not sure how these would work with risers.

Overall I am happy with them. I thought Motax gave great service, 12 days from purchase to my door from France is pretty good.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #105 on: December 14, 2011, 08:05:22 PM »
Thanks for the pics bro, I ordered a set last week and got an email today with a tracking number.

We'll see... more to come.  :-\

Offline Conrad

« Reply #106 on: December 15, 2011, 04:40:54 AM »
PH14,

Yeah, $105 does seem kinda pricy but when your hands are freezing it seems like a downright bargain!

Your shield hits the deflectors? I have the Calsci shorty and they don't touch, close though. If you loosen up the screws for the brackets you can push them down a bit a retighten em up, might help.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline cablebandit

« Reply #107 on: December 15, 2011, 07:02:51 AM »
Unless you just want to toss 120 bucks at a pair of heated gloves.

Offline PH14

« Reply #108 on: December 15, 2011, 10:25:04 AM »
PH14,

Yeah, $105 does seem kinda pricy but when your hands are freezing it seems like a downright bargain!

Your shield hits the deflectors? I have the Calsci shorty and they don't touch, close though. If you loosen up the screws for the brackets you can push them down a bit a retighten em up, might help.

Yep, it hits, and the brackets are already all the way down. I have the medium shield. As for the price, I think it was reasonable especially given the shipping from France.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #109 on: December 22, 2011, 05:08:59 PM »
Here's some pics of my new Projax hand wings... (ProjektD brackets with dark tint Motax plastics)

I like the ProjektD bases better than the Motax bases because the ProjektD ones are already powder coated black, but only Motax makes a tinted plastic so I'm taking the best of both worlds (ok countries, France and Taiwan).  :)

The holes for the bolts are slightly different/off, I just made the holes in the plastic a tad bigger with a dremal and fits like a glove now.  8)

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #110 on: December 22, 2011, 05:44:46 PM »
Looks great!  Did you put a shim in between the wind and the bracket to lift the rear edge?  I have been thinking about doing that during the cold months.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #111 on: December 22, 2011, 05:55:59 PM »
Looks great!  Did you put a shim in between the wind and the bracket to lift the rear edge?  I have been thinking about doing that during the cold months.

Thanks Jeremy. Yes, I put some plastic spacers in between to raise them up a bit, cost like 15 cents down at the hardware store.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #112 on: December 23, 2011, 05:25:52 AM »
Looks great!

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #113 on: December 23, 2011, 09:43:01 AM »
Looks great!

Thanks C, Merry Christmas to ya bro!  :chugbeer:

Offline Conrad

« Reply #114 on: December 24, 2011, 05:19:15 AM »

Thanks C, Merry Christmas to ya bro!  :chugbeer:

I hope the same for you and yours J.    :grouphug:

Offline basmntdweller

• The Profile Brotherhood
« Reply #115 on: January 25, 2012, 04:07:06 PM »
I got my lexan cut and bent for my '09. I need to get some screws and spacers made up to mount them up. I did the same as flathead and made a copy of my template and scanned it to a pdf file. If the site will let me upload it when I post this, I will attach the pdf file for others that may want to make some for their '08 or '09.
One note, the bend must be pretty sharp in order to have room for the upper bolt head. Once I get the dimensions nailed down for the right thickness spacers and proper length screws needed I will post them up. The hole locations on the pdf file are just approximate. Best bet is to drill the upper hole and bolt it down then mark for the lower hole so it matches up nicely.
I will try to get the final bolt lengths and spacer thicknesses before the weekend.
Pics when they are mounted up.

Good luck, Matt

'09 C14
'98 DR-350
'11 Suzuki C50T wife's ride since she hates my Connie
'03 Honda CBR600RR track bike

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #116 on: February 13, 2012, 08:34:23 PM »
I was just on the ProjektD site and see that they now offer these in a tinted version now too. Why the heck am I always ahead of the curve...  :banghead:

http://projektd.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_58&products_id=178

Do I now abandon the Projax customs??  :-\

Offline Conrad

« Reply #117 on: February 14, 2012, 04:41:26 AM »
I was just on the ProjektD site and see that they now offer these in a tinted version now too. Why the heck am I always ahead of the curve...  :banghead:

http://projektd.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_58&products_id=178

Do I now abandon the Projax customs??  :-\

Stoppit J, put that credit card back in your wallet and step away from the keyboard. Your bike looks great, for black that is...

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #118 on: February 14, 2012, 04:45:54 AM »
Quit telling him that.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #119 on: February 14, 2012, 04:49:58 AM »
Quit telling him that.

But Jim, we all know what color is really the best.    8)