Author Topic: Cornering techniques by Jeremy Mitchell and others  (Read 9234 times)

Offline julianm

Cornering techniques by Jeremy Mitchell and others
« on: August 02, 2011, 02:24:37 AM »
In the old forum , there was a great write by Jeremy Mitchell and others on cornering techniques. Would it be possible to access that topic or could Jeremy please repost his .
Many thanks

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
Re: Cornering techniques by Jeremy Mitchell and others
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 07:48:10 AM »
hi,
here is my "lecture" for you to improve your cornering: take an advanced course (assuming you can already handle a bike) and practice, practice, practice. And then practice some more. You need to find a good place for that practice, with curves and run-away areas that won't hurt (much) if you slide.
I am myself trying to upgrade my abilities and this is what I found it makes a lot of difference. Now, except a very good rider in a supermotard or an S1000RR, I can at least follow everything through the really twisty stuff. I can't overtake them, no way, but at least I can keep up.  :)
And most important of all, I repeat an advice that Brian told me: respect your times and your own rythm. Let your skills evolve and develope. It's good to push yourself to improve, but you don't need to proof anything.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 08:04:37 AM »
I will give my advice on cornering as I am one of the faster ones in my group of friends.

Choose the line before getting to the corner and come in wide from the outside and cut the corner (the turns are not as sharp if you come from the outside to the inside to the outside every time). Make sure you are on the throttle through the turn as the bike settles into the corner with the majority of the weight where you want it, on the rear tire (larger contact patch) and stay smooth on the throttle through the turn.

Anyone can go fast in the straights, the trick is doing it in the turns and allowing your friends to catch up in the straights. It's more fun to go fast in the corners anyway and harder to get tickets as well.

Where I always slow down is when I get into narrow roads, especially ones that are bumpy or whenever there is gravel on the road. No way around that, the brain doesn't allow me to go fast and I am fine with that.
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 08:18:05 AM »
Not sure I remember or can find the thread that you are talking about, but I am pretty sure I didn't start a thread about cornering techniques, I might have thrown my two cents in, but my cornering techniques have all been learned through the BRC, ARC, Military Sport Bike Course and my limited (18 months)  riding experience.  SVonhof hit the nail on the head about picking the widest line possible then cut in towards the apex.  I will say this, if you are used to driving cars quickly or have any track time you will notice that the apex of a corner on a bike is usually later in the curve than if you are in a car.  YMMV.  Just remember slow is smooth and smooth is fast.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 09:47:16 AM »
You'll get all kinds of advice, and a lot of it is good advice.  But the main advice is this...

> Ride a pace you are comfortable with.  Just because the guy in front of you is in front of you or has some bad-ass equipment doesn't mean he knows what he's doing

> Don't follow the guy in front of you.  By that I mean don't focus on him - focus on the road.  If you focus on him and he goes off the road, guess where you are going to go?

> You go where you look.  When people think they are in over their head they start looking for a good place to go off the road.  Usually they find it.  Focus on the road where you WANT to end up.  You almost always will.

> Trust your tires, but don't always trust the road.  Public roads have a lot going on.  Blind curves are just that.
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 11:50:46 AM »
You'll get all kinds of advice, and a lot of it is good advice.  But the main advice is this...

> Ride a pace you are comfortable with.  Just because the guy in front of you is in front of you or has some bad-ass equipment doesn't mean he knows what he's doing

> Don't follow the guy in front of you.  By that I mean don't focus on him - focus on the road.  If you focus on him and he goes off the road, guess where you are going to go?

> You go where you look.  When people think they are in over their head they start looking for a good place to go off the road.  Usually they find it.  Focus on the road where you WANT to end up.  You almost always will.

> Trust your tires, but don't always trust the road.  Public roads have a lot going on.  Blind curves are just that.

+1
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 12:10:39 PM »
3 huge things, entry speed should be slow enough that you have no need to slow during the turn, entry point, and eyeballs.  Your eyes are like the sights on a rifle, you will go where you look.  If you WANT to hit that guard rail, go ahead, stare at it, if you dont, pick an exit point and look there.  Your entry point should be the point that offers the greatest amount of forward vision, it does two things, as stated, it helps straighten out the corner, and it gives you the best vision of whats ahead, allowing you the earliest opportunity to find your exit point.  Dont hit the apex too soon, you will have to hold the lean that much longer, late apexes may have a sharper lean, but far less time down.  Body position isnt everything, but it is a lot, this is where an advanced course would really be beneficial.  Out here in the great Pacific Northwest ( www.pugetsoundsafety.com ) we have the SMART ASS course (Scan, Mark, Adjust (Speed and body position), Relax, and Throttle off apex Advanced Street Skills).  We run it at Pacific Raceways and is a street oriented course, not a race day.  We have many returning riders with alot of verbal testimonials how it had both enhanced their riding skills and sharpened their chances of survival.
Remember, if your dragging hard parts you're probably doing something wrong (sorry Jeremy, not busting on yer ground pegs).  The hard parts grinding usually come from a decel mid corner (in too hot, press more, brake less and come in slower next time) or improper body position which causes the suspension to overwork, or work in ways that are less efficient.
Bottom line, never ride to someone elses comfort level, ride your ride, 'less of course you have a hot DR!!

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 12:19:04 PM »
I am always trying to learn, I just wish there were more options around my area to get some one on one with an experienced coach.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 12:34:14 PM »
I am always trying to learn, I just wish there were more options around my area to get some one on one with an experienced coach.
Get stationed at FT Lewis and ya have a free coach ;D  Sorry, I aint heading that way, too dern hot for my tastes!

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 12:47:59 PM »
Get stationed at FT Lewis and ya have a free coach ;D  Sorry, I aint heading that way, too dern hot for my tastes!

If you find me a job up there I just might take you up on that offer.   ;D

Excavator

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 08:44:56 PM »
If you find me a job up there I just might take you up on that offer.   ;D

Don't do it, it rains there 360 days a year!

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 10:57:53 PM »
Jeremy Mitchell <---he's always humble but its no secret he can rail the turns
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline julianm

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 03:33:46 AM »
Thank you all for the advice.
At present I am at the " brake and gear down before the corner if appropriate , balls of feet on pegs, look ahead ( and keep looking ahead) ,counter steer to appropriate lean angle and lean with the bike " stage.
Jeremy is right , you did not start the post but did answer.
Your answer ( and I hope my memory serves correctly ) was along the lines of instructing military riders and discussed turning the inside shoulder forward in a bend and doing something with legs - I think gripping the tank with the outside one. This I found most interesting and was hoping to experiment . I think someone in the topic also mentioned moving about 1/2 a cheek inside helped a lot.
I also find that by moving a bit forward ,it is a bit easier to hold the lean.
Agree practise is really the way to go but would like to know I am practising the right techniques.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2011, 09:38:18 AM »
Thank you all for the advice.
At present I am at the " brake and gear down before the corner if appropriate , balls of feet on pegs, look ahead ( and keep looking ahead) ,counter steer to appropriate lean angle and lean with the bike " stage.
Jeremy is right , you did not start the post but did answer.
Your answer ( and I hope my memory serves correctly ) was along the lines of instructing military riders and discussed turning the inside shoulder forward in a bend and doing something with legs - I think gripping the tank with the outside one. This I found most interesting and was hoping to experiment . I think someone in the topic also mentioned moving about 1/2 a cheek inside helped a lot.
I also find that by moving a bit forward ,it is a bit easier to hold the lean.
Agree practise is really the way to go but would like to know I am practising the right techniques.

In the Military Sport Bike course, we were instructed to lean down and in (belly on the tank and try to get your inside shoulder as far inside and down as possible.  This is to get a around a corner quickly without hanging your inside butt cheek off the bike and attracting unwanted LEO attention.  We were also instructed to use our inside foot to put more leverage on the inside peg.  I have been using this method for a while and it seems like the more I relax my arms and keep my elbows down the easier it is to track through a corner smoothly.  But when I try to muscle my bike through and have my elbows straight out  it seems that I have to make more mid corner adjustments.  YMMV

Offline gpzrocker

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2011, 02:27:27 PM »
Like the thread. I am also learning. Peg weighting, knees pressed in and relaxed upper torso is getting some great enjoyment along with more speed. I will work with the upper torso movement next, makes sense.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2011, 03:07:49 PM »
Like the thread. I am also learning. Peg weighting, knees pressed in and relaxed upper torso is getting some great enjoyment along with more speed. I will work with the upper torso movement next, makes sense.

Knee DRAGGING (see avatar).  I don't drag on the C14 but I hang off the seat anyway.  C14 pegs always drag before we do

In the old days is was suggested knees in, it may not be best for handling.

The evolution of the art of cornering has had four complete phases so far. The neat, tidy, knees-to-tank, stretched-out-on-the-bike style of the 19-teens through the 1960s was handed down as the path of least resistance. You could say it was the ‘natural’ style of riding.

Phase two. Mike Hailwood let his inside knee come off the tank in the 1960s and practically created a stock market panic in the riding style etiquette market – it was a huge departure from tradition. Paul Smart, Barry Sheene and others followed. Then, phase three, Jarno Saarinen actually moved his butt off the seat a bit, which was emulated by many.

The fourth phase is credited to and was pioneered by Kenny Roberts Sr’s knee-down, hang-off style in the 1970s. Initially this earth-shattering look was quite personal to the rider, each having his own iteration of the new form. Cal Rayborn and Kel Carruthers were halfway guys, still clinging a bit to phase two. Some others had lots of bum off, some with lots of leg and knee off, some rotated around the tank a la Mick Doohan. A few went head and body way down and on the inside of the tank, Randy Mamola style. Some hung-off but remained sitting more upright, like Kevin Schwantz.

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2011, 11:23:40 PM »
I like that this thread was started by someone from South Africa, welcome Julianm!  :chugbeer:

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2011, 06:01:44 AM »
The fourth phase is credited to and was pioneered by Kenny Roberts Sr’s knee-down, hang-off style in the 1970s. Initially this earth-shattering look was quite personal to the rider, each having his own iteration of the new form. Cal Rayborn and Kel Carruthers were halfway guys, still clinging a bit to phase two. Some others had lots of bum off, some with lots of leg and knee off, some rotated around the tank a la Mick Doohan. A few went head and body way down and on the inside of the tank, Randy Mamola style. Some hung-off but remained sitting more upright, like Kevin Schwantz.

Ben Spies:

Casey Stoner:

and a great slow motion video of Casey:
http://www.redbullusa.com/cs/Satellite/en_US/Video/moments-casey-stoner-moto-gp-021243047212056
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline Roadhound

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2011, 09:01:26 AM »
I understand the science of hanging of and dragging a knee on a race track, where you have the opportunity to memorize the track and all of the curves. It makes No sense to me on the street where you are often times seeing a road for the first time and have no idea what's next and or what change of direction may be required next. Seems to me that being hung off the bike in one direction might not be the ideal position if the situation requires a rider to make an instant and drastic turn in the opposite direction. I will admit that I do enjoy passing riders on bikes much more sporting than my own, when they are so hung up on hanging off, and or dragging a knee that they seem to forget how to actually ride.
Don Ricks
Atlanta, Ga.

"Ride or Ride not, there is no drive."

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2011, 11:04:15 AM »
One thing to always keep in mind when cornering on the road is to enter at such a speed that you can stop or swerve if you need to.  You never know when a deer, rock, gravel, or other obstacle will be around that blind corner, and if you are riding at your limits, you won't have any options other than having a bad day.

Yes, I know this is less fun, but if you want to push the limits, you are better off taking it to the track.

Also, always enter a corner at a lower speed than you think you are able to manage for the corner, especially if you've never ridden through that corner/on that particular road before.  That way, you'll have a chance to recover if you find tar snakes, a sudden bump, etc..

While late apexing and such are good skills to learn, my strategy is to choose the line that gives me the most asphalt to work with should I have to change my line mid corner (due to animals, gravel, etc.).  For me this usually means staying closer to the yellow median when cornering to the left, but not putting my head in the opposite lane of travel, so that I can swerve right if I need to, or god forbid into the oncoming lane if that's my best option.  When cornering right, I tend to be closer to the shoulder, as it's easier to widen your line of travel than tighten it.  Not  too close though, gravel likes to hang out at the edge of the road.

And of course, always endeavor to enter a curve in a lower gear, so your revs are sufficiently high to apply deceleration torque if you need to slow down.  I find that at least 4.5K RPM, preferably 5-8K RPM works best for the C10 - anything lower won't help you much, and you'll have to rely on the brakes alone.

With the C10's slipper clutch, you can downshift while in a corner, but may stand up the bike in the process if you aren't careful, and are much more likely to partially lock/skid your rear.  It takes practice to downshift in a curve without freaking yourself out - of course the best option is to be in the lower gear BEFORE the curve/corner commences! 

IF I've entered a corner/curve in too high of a gear on a downhill curve, I usually am braking slightly as I enter the downhill curves at that point to begin with.  At that point, I am also leaning appropriately to counter the bikes tendency to stand up while braking, before I downshift.  I brake slightly harder as I lose the engine torque while disengaging the clutch, downshift (revs are already climbing when I disengage), and engage the clutch smoothly while backing off on the brakes.  At that point I often mentally chew myself out momentarily afterwords (while still paying attention to the road of course), for not being in the right gear in the first place...

Keep your following distance open a little bit when at speed.  This way, if the rider in front of you goes down, you have time to make a decision as to where to go.

On one particular ride I was on last year, I was riding with a couple of Sports Bike guys I hang with, about 3-4 seconds behind them.  At one point, I came around a left hand blind corner and saw them at a complete stop due to a herd of sheep in the road blocking the road completely.  They were absolutely positive I'd plow into them with my heavier Connie, but I managed to come to a complete stop with about 4-5 feet to spare.  If I had been letting it all hang out, things might have ended very differently...
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.