Author Topic: Garmin Zumo Repair Recommendations  (Read 12621 times)

Offline Landon

Re: Garmin Zumo Repair Recommendations
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2016, 02:01:43 PM »
I've seen the 660LM for under $300. If it lasts as long as the 450 has I'd be happy at that price. Surprising I don't use the buttons all that often so that's not a big deal to me. I also don't listen to music so that's not an issue. I use it for its basic function of putting a route into it and using it for reference. I don't need it to verbally command me to turn in xx feet. I don't buy the latest and greatest new unit they have, that's why I have a 450 now. Most the riding I do I don't need live traffic, its not a deal breaker. I would like to have the weather feature, but there again is not a deal breaker.

The only cell phone I have is company issued. I could use it if I wanted, but I would much rather it be tucked in a tank bag or top box and not be bothered while I am out riding on vacation.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2016, 08:57:39 PM »
Smartphones are killing Garmin.

And now, Google maps works with out cell phone service. My Garmin is in the trash
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2016, 01:01:52 AM »
Smartphones are killing Garmin.

Yep

And now, Google maps works with out cell phone service.

That has supposedly been the case for years now.  And yet every time I tried to do it with caching areas, I still have major problems.  Perhaps time to try again (has been several months since my last attempt.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2016, 11:18:43 AM »
  I bet it still can't even play music when running on battery (yep, that is standard for the Zumos). 

Either my 665 is different from other Garmin products (in this regard), or I don't understand what you are saying here max'. I've removed mine from the bike and continued to listen to an mp3 book in the motel room on several occasions just on the internal battery.

No I'm not a fan boy of Garmin (they charge too much for Zumo IMO), but I don't think for me there is a better unit than the 665LM.
However it's all the entertainment factors and multi functionality that makes it that way not it's
greatness as a GPS. If all I wanted was a GPS I'm sure that I could find a cheaper automotive one with a larger screen.
The ability to listen to Sat radio, or mp3 files, or my phone, or directions, blue toothed into my helmet...
and not only find a gas station in rural areas but actually call them (from the GPS screen through the bluetoothed cell phone) to insure that they are open for business is very nice. I forgot to mention weather radar.  When it goes teats up on me I'll no doubt feel much different about it, however they are selling it for $489 now on Amazon so I'd probably go that route if mine were to become un-repairable.

It's nice to know about these repair options and I appreciate all the links. I put them into the C14 accessory section (farkle website area) for safe keeping/easier finding, if that's OK, maybe someone else could put them in the C10 accessory section or is there a better collection point than those two separate ones?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2016, 02:07:48 PM »
Either my 665 is different from other Garmin products (in this regard), or I don't understand what you are saying here max'. I've removed mine from the bike and continued to listen to an mp3 book in the motel room on several occasions just on the internal battery.

Good, then they fixed that stupid limitation in later models.  It means exactly what you think- if there is no external power (wall, usb, bike bus) to the 450/550 it will refuse to play music on its internal battery.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2016, 08:57:08 PM »
Garmin maps are never up to date.  The last time I paid for and loaded their "update", they were still behind.  That was it for me and the GPS companies.  And more eloquently put, this guy makes the case:

Given the differences in their market positions, it shouldn't be surprising that Google and Apple can devote more resources to keeping their maps updated than struggling standalone GPS companies.

^^^^beside all that, the garmin is a stupid device that won't do one millionth of what any cheap smartphone will do, aside the fact the maps are crap (which is its main purpose)   ;D

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine