Author Topic: Is this thing working?  (Read 2245 times)

Offline Big Red

• Arena
Re: Is this thing working?
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2023, 09:22:08 PM »
Yes, thankfully I am fine. And the other guy’s insurance has taken full responsibility. I kept the bike up and took no injuries other than some tightness. The inspection from the Kawi dealer came back today as “this is totally because of the accident”. As my fiancé said to me earlier today, it’s been the smoothest accident one could hope for. I’m going to buy the bike back, and I’m getting a complete rear end from a local yard, for a very reasonable price.
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2023, 01:26:21 AM »
Glad you walked away from that one.  8)

You do seem to have an awful lot of rear-end crashes in the USA.
They are so rare for motorcycles here in the UK/EU that I have never even heard of one.
The most common motorcycle crashes here are known as SMIDSYs (Sorry Mate I didn't See Ya), where the blind/distracted/incompetent car driver pulls out of a side turning.

Hopefully it's just the swingarm that's damaged, but if it was me I'd insist on getting the frame x-rayed before I bought it back as that kind of force may have cracked the rear of the frame.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2023, 07:56:53 AM »
The most common motorcycle crashes here are known as SMIDSYs (Sorry Mate I didn't See Ya), where the blind/distracted/incompetent car driver pulls out of a side turning.

Hopefully it's just the swingarm that's damaged, but if it was me I'd insist on getting the frame x-rayed before I bought it back as that kind of force may have cracked the rear of the frame.

That's basically what it was. Hit me on the rear crash bar and pushed the whole bike over to the side. I rode it for a week after the accident and there was no sign of issue until it started making noise in the rear. I'll take a look at the frame. I'm buying it back even if it's irreparable. The accessories and engine are worth more than the buyback, I'd wager.
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2023, 08:33:43 AM »
I that case you shouldn't have any frame damage but please do check it carefully when you have the busted swingarm off. Any crack should be visible.
The monocoque frame type is way stronger than the older steel tube frames, but when they do go it's a snap rather than a bend.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2023, 06:45:27 AM »
I got a ballpark buyback price, so I will be doing it. And I will definitely check the frame well when I have it apart.

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2023, 06:39:05 PM »
I’m getting $5k back after buying back my bike. Hope to have it Monday.