Author Topic: Is this thing working?  (Read 2244 times)

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
Is this thing working?
« on: January 16, 2023, 08:03:32 PM »
Hello Hello Hello Hello
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
Re: Is this thing working?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2023, 08:57:06 PM »
Can't hear you. Sorry, but I'm hearing impaired and I hate to wear hearing aids. But I do wear ear plugs when I'm riding. So there's that.
2012 C14 Arabian Candy Red
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2023, 07:24:29 AM »
WHAT? WHAT? WHAT? WHAT already?  :rotflmao:
Seriously though, it can get pretty quiet on here through the winter months since many are not riding or wrenching.
If you are still riding/wrenching, then please post what you are doing so we can all kibitz and live vicariously through you.  ;) :grouphug: :chugbeer:
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2023, 07:43:44 AM »
I’m doing the same as you, Boomer.
Nuthin’ to see here, either.

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2023, 08:40:47 AM »
If you are still riding/wrenching, then please post what you are doing so we can all kibitz and live vicariously through you.  ;) :grouphug: :chugbeer:

I've spent the last few days riding in the rain. Been pretty rainy for Phoenix. Kinda weird. I'm really glad I had my Frogg Toggs Road Toad jacket. Had to get some rain pants, too. First time I've ever needed them, even riding in monsoons.

Just put a new front tire on the ol' lady's GSX1250FA. Kinda nice that it's the same size as the C14. Went with the RS3s for her as well. Waiting on another for my front.

Ordered and received new clutch disks for my 2010 C14. Clutch lever is almost all the way out before it grabs. Going to be dead here before too long. Not bothering to replace the steel disks. I don't want to have to go through the whole sizing process. I should probably measure the steel disks while I have it apart so I can do it next time.

Been tinkering with the idea of having my scuffed saddlebags wrapped in vinyl. Just ordered a bunch of funny stickers, so I might just sticker blast it. Dunno.

Last weekend we swapped the front passenger inner fender on my best friend's 1963 Nova. The inner fender IS the subframe, so it's a bit of a chore. Next weekend is the driver side as long as everything goes well.

Lots of other hobbies too. Been practicing my electronics soldering, playing with my longbow, and trying out new cooking recipes.
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2023, 08:00:26 AM »
Since I am "down" with a trapped nerve in my back again, I am planning and designing.
I am working on a "nekkid" C10 but with a bit of a difference. She will be single seat with a swingarm mounted rear fender and the lights/tag mount on the rear of the fender.
However, I will still be able to mount the rear subframe so I can still fit the side-bags and a trunk for riding to rallies. At the moment I am stuck as I need to bend the steel bar (10mm x10mm) that will be the mount for the rear fender and I cannot get enough heat into the bar with a MAPP blowtorch, so when my back heals some I'll be going to a friends who has Oxy-Acetylene and a big anvil.
Then I need to fabricate mounts to be welded to the bar and the swingarm so it can be bolted to the swingarm and to the Final Drive.
Once the rear fender mounts are fabricated and welded I can send most of it off for powder-coat and start prepping the rest for paint.
I also need to design and fabricate a bespoke bracket for the headlights and make some adapters for the new front fender.
I want to be doing but at the moment planning and designing is about it.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2023, 12:28:34 PM »
Winter project - 2-wheeled but not motorcycle

Due to poor brake cable practice on my part, the rear rim on my road bike wore catastrophically on one side. Bought new rim and spoke wrench from eBay, and just recently installed. If for frugality reasons, you don't have a truing stand, the bike frame can readily be used. Only broke one spoke during disassembly.

So, it's all trued and happy, reinstalled and waiting for Canadian Spring, which occurs sometime around July.
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2023, 12:26:51 PM »
-In the middle of charging all my vehicle batteries with my monthly trickle charge for winter.

-Joined a pistol league for something to do in winter, 8 weeks, 8 different targets shot at your leisure, awards in March.

-Adjusted rear combat sights on pistol for said league.

-Getting ready to watch the AFC playoff games this weekend. Problem is, we like them all. Buffalo vs Cincinnati will be a real dilemma.

-Never kept a battery in the bike over winter, have the C-14 battery in and on a tender, I wasn't even going to think about taking that battery out.

-Very little snow for us this winter, down 17 inches so far.

-Getting back into building scale models again. Just finished a Sherman tank for my wife's desk, it's a silly Meng from a game called "World War Toons". Look it up, it's humorous in a weird way. Hey, it's Japanese, or Chinese, not sure, they are both kinda weird on stuff like this. Will start on a serious 1/35th M41 Walker Bulldog next week.

-Still have the Christmas tree up. we like it, my wife's Christmas was just a few weeks ago anyhow. Feb 1st it comes down.

-So, what's up with eggs? Did the number of egg laying chickens suddenly go WAY down? We don't eat them much anyhow.

-Hoping Ford comes out with an electric car, not the silly stuff they have now.

-Ohio is losing money from the gasoline tax that applies to maintain the roads because we aren't driving as much and they say more have electric cars and not buying gasoline. They are floating a "miles driven" tax. So they really think right now folks are not devising a way to unhook their odometers. Not sure I see it going very far as Ohio is quite conservative, this is a media driven idea.

COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2023, 08:07:07 AM »
Down 28 inches in snow so far this winter

Getting a Dutch oven, a Staub, they are on sale

Lent now, My wife is Russian Orthodox, meat on Sunday only

Seth Laam still has my seat, 3 years now

Put a trickle charge on all the batteries

Still wanted to see if anybody is home here

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2023, 12:30:38 PM »
I'm here everyday in the shadows...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline zrx mitch

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2023, 05:52:25 PM »
Well I took one for the team and it was tough, been on vacation since 2/23 and go back to work tomorrow. The C14 doesn't need anything but the ZRX has had a very small issue at idle and light throttle, and just didn't sound right on trailing throttle/decel. I worked a bit and took frequent breaks (upper 70's to mid-80's here in Houston  ;D ), I replaced all 4 carb boots that bolt to the head including new o-rings in each and that solved the problems. It now runs like it should, throttle response to the very smallest movement and it sounds right again. Since the weather was so nice, between the frequent breaks I also rebuilt the clutch master cylinder, put on a new slave cylinder, and installed new Galfer clutch line and all brake lines. It was too nice to work in the garage so I pushed out onto the driveway and ended up with a little sunburn.  8)
IBA #18591

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2023, 06:09:28 PM »
I'm here everyday in the shadows...
As I am also, Jim. Work pulled me out of retirement for a few days to help stay ahead on a project. Kinda nice working inside at 65 degrees when a couple weeks ago it was pushing zero outdoors.

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2023, 07:54:23 PM »
I'm always here too, I just don't like to type.
2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2023, 02:14:15 AM »
I check here most days but not doing much at the moment due to lower back issues.
I started both bikes on Sunday, ran them until the cooling fan kicked in but that's it.
Had an MRI on my lower back yesterday, so now just waiting to see what they find.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2023, 07:30:14 AM »
The rear end on my bike started making noise after the accident. Tow truck took it down to the dealer yesterday. I haven't ridden it in about 3 weeks and I am sad.
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2023, 08:09:32 AM »
Well, oh righty then! If all of you are here in spirit, maybe I'll just ramble on for us all........ ;D Maybe not.

This time of you here in Ohio, we get HUGE temperature swings, 65F today, maybe 5 inches of snow Friday, then 42F and sunny this Saturday, it makes it very difficult to go out in the garage and look at the bike all packed away and not want to get it out, cause sure as s**t, we'll get 5 inches of snow and they will salt the living hell out of the roads, literally folks, you can shovel the salt.

After almost 3 months, I finally got the the retirement paperwork, internet,automatic withdrawl, healthcare thing figured out, well, we think. What a major PITA, I have more colorful words. Amazing how many times I mildly suggested over the phone, on numerous phone calls, to people who say they are dedicated to my happiness, well being, and easing my journey to retirement, that, essentially, part of your job is actually doing your job.

Manischevitz makes wine in 1.5L bottles. These are pretty big bottles. My dad drinks it, he's 94,  it's awful. I think it's a generational thing.

I got the main body and suspension done on the M41 tank I'm building, lots of tiny little parts, never knew there were many grab handles on a tank before. airbrushing it this weekend.

I couldn't care less who is the host of Jeopardy and the drama around the decision.

My brother-in-law the cop, who I used to refer to as my idiot brother-in-law the cop who was an idiot, is not really an idiot, he never really was, family politics, misinformation and a bit of real mental health issues deluded my vision. The whole fire/police thing never came into play, we don't do that silly nonsense.

I moved the sights on the G3 9mm Taurus pistol, I'm doing better in the pistol league, I won't be winning anything, but it keeps me busy when it's cold outside  December-April.

Snow is very dirty, it's like natures vacuum, dirt/dust is how snowflakes are created so when it snows, it cleans out the air, don't eat snow unless you have to and make sure it's not yellow.

I can see Orion's belt this time of year, wish I could see the Southern Cross at any time.

4-wheeled drive is different than all-wheel drive, you find out on sharp turns.

OK, is that enough for now?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2023, 03:30:39 PM »
Excellent report!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2023, 08:37:46 AM »
But wait! There's more.

-I bought a riding lawnmower cause the one I'm using now is my neighbors and it's over 20 years old and I know it was never designed to last this long, I've been cobbling it together every spring and it is on it's last legs, literally, it's a Husky with a Kohler motor, almost thought about getting a frame from Harbor Freight and using that motor. The new mower is a John Deere 110, which Deere told me they were not making anymore, the dealers were not going to get any anymore, this was back 3 years ago. I did not want a monster 2 cylinder mower. The dealer ignored me, but also told me if I bought a mower anywhere else to forget about bringing there for service.......WTF? Asshats, I bought it at Lowes for less. I work on it myself like I do now.

-Gonna watch "North and South" again, Kirstie Alley had wonderful eyes and still had that big ole Texas hair.

-When you go to a doc nowdays, you really have to watch what you say.

-We have a 2014 Ford Fiesta and the older it gets, the better the gas mileage, 114,000 miles and 34mpg average and about 50mpg on the highway. Gas is how much these days, and tell me why only the Japanese not only make small cars but are the only ones making cars period, guess we don't collectively don't remember the 70's? Diehard Ford family, will not be buying a Ford next time, I want a car, not a 4000lb $50,000 SUV. Wake up America.

-Will be working on the C-14 next few weeks, new pipe, new "KMW" stickers

-Noticed birds not hanging around my feeder, then saw a gigantic hawk swooping silently across the yard in an angled attack, amazing.

-Lake Erie sometimes has waves 12-15 high during high wind episodes, almost like the ocean.

- OK, gotta go for now

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2023, 10:17:33 AM »
Just got off the phone with the shop. Insurance is going to total my bike. Bent the swing arm when I got hit.

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2023, 12:48:55 PM »
Just got off the phone with the shop. Insurance is going to total my bike. Bent the swing arm when I got hit.
Sorry to hear that, Red.  Hopefully, they’ll give you enough to replace it.  Most important thing is that you came away from that crash relatively unscathed, yes?
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.