Author Topic: Storing new spark plugs  (Read 1024 times)

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
Storing new spark plugs
« on: May 29, 2022, 11:08:38 AM »
Is there a particular way to store new plugs for a few years? I was doing some spring cleaning and found a few new bike plugs and a some extra car plugs I bought a few months ago. Can I spray some wd40 in/on them and squirrel them away for another time? I noticed some discoloration on one of the copper electrodes.

Happy Memorial Weekend to you all.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Storing new spark plugs
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2022, 04:01:39 PM »
Not sure it matters.
If it were me, I would just put them in a ziplock bag and squish the air out.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2022, 04:13:13 PM »
Or use a vacuum sealer.
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2022, 01:13:45 AM »
Yes, just spray with WD40 and put in a labelled ziplock bag.
When you come to use them, spray with carb cleaner to get all the WD40 and any dust/dirt off.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2022, 08:40:30 AM »
I didn't think about ziplocked bags at all. That is a great idea gentlemen.

I just threw them in the drawer. The air seems to be the problem. I wish I had a vacuum sealer. Another great idea for all the parts I have laying around rusting away. That would preserve my plugs and meats for decades!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2022, 06:17:50 PM »

I just threw them in the drawer. The air seems to be the problem. I wish I had a vacuum sealer. Another great idea for all the parts I have laying around rusting away. That would preserve my plugs and meats for decades!

Oxygen is probably the largest problem with storing just about anything, because it is very reactive.  Even if you can't remove all the O2 from a sealed bag, only so much will be available in the bag before it is spent.  The second largest problem is water/humidity, which a bag also helps to shield against.

One trick is to save those "SILICA GEL DO NOT EAT" things you find in products (medications, vitamins, etc), store THOSE in a ziplock bag for future use.  Then when you want to store something, pop one of those in there with it.  It will give a place for any existing moisture to be absorbed.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline m in sc

• Polluting Rockhill with 2 strokes for decades.
    • 2 stroke world
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2022, 09:21:16 AM »
ive kept plugs in bikes for well over a decade with no issues. ( i have a lot of 2 strokes and i always keep them under the seat) . the silica gel is a good idea, i keep a small pack in the old (40+ yr old) tool bags to keep the tools from getting rusty.
I break and fix stuff.  No more concours's in the stables. see you guys around...

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2022, 03:20:25 PM »
They need to be standing up with the electrode pointed down so the spark doesn't leak out.

Offline Stasch

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2022, 07:13:11 AM »

BruceR started it, so the following is his fault:

Maybe its just me, but I don't think WD40 is going to work as well with the meats.   8)
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2022, 07:28:23 AM »
You guys are funny! I have to make sure the spark doesn't leak out. hahaha