Author Topic: top speed  (Read 82631 times)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: top speed
« Reply #220 on: May 28, 2015, 02:23:55 PM »
...why bother with math when you can just keep adding power.... ;)
:rotflmao: Spaz, good to hear from you. Anything new?

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #221 on: May 28, 2015, 03:49:23 PM »
Hey, long time, no see (so to speak). Good to see you are still around.... still supersaturating that C-14?

Brian

...why bother with math when you can just keep adding power.... ;)
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline SpazOnaConcours

« Reply #222 on: May 29, 2015, 04:44:25 PM »
Not too much ya'll.... life is crazy on my end at the moment, and I've picked up too many major projects at once for too many people (myself included) that I need to sort out before I can play with the C14 again. I did have to do another fuel pump in it, but other than that it's just shredding tires and suckin' up gas like it was designed to do it. Did a sweet little 2-up trip with the missus last year to the Rally in TN, then over to Myrtle Beach, then over to Panama City & New Orleans... and eventually back to southern AZ. That was good times.

The Zx-10R is getting some development as a land speed bike/missile/death trap.... I'm working on an air-to-water intercooler with a hand built (extended) swingarm to act as the reservoir/heat exchanger. Fun build thread over on ZX-10R.net on the progress, however slow it is.

Once I'm finished with that & the few car projects I have, I'm getting another Disco Potato and it's going back on the C14. I'm going to make minor fuel system changes (bigger injectors and ditch that high-rising FPR nonsense), add a water injection system, and get a beefed up clutch set-up.... but it will make boost again. :) This bike is just too much fun @ 9psi. :) I'll have to put the secondary flies back in though.... at least my in town mileage will go back up! HAHAH Turbos for better fuel mileage!! I'm getting that on a T-shirt.

FWIW on topic: 9psi will let the 1st gen crack 200mph, but only barely with the bags off. Real speeds above 170mph with the bags on usually result in some pretty scarey buffeting and weaving of the ass end.... no thanks. Depending on what dyno numbers you believe for a stock bike, that's in the low to mid 200's in HP. (~65% more power than a stock connie with a slip-on). You can do all the math you want, but that's about what it takes. :) It'll run 9's on the stock clutch with lazy launching and wheelie past anything but an H2 from down low.... but the thick air is a real bastard over 140mph. At my elevation the NA version was good for mph in the low160's.... not much more if any.

It will live again!! Mark my words!!  ;D

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #223 on: May 29, 2015, 05:16:10 PM »
Once I'm finished with that & the few car projects I have, I'm getting another Disco Potato and it's going back on the C14.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/mr2sc/disco_potato.html

:)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #224 on: May 30, 2015, 07:54:10 AM »
HA! My B-I-L is on his way back to AZ right now (stopped at the corvette museum in KY today but will finish flying home tomorrow) after staying with us for 6 weeks, helping out on an excessive number of too large projects. And I am not done yet- this winter's snow caused a structural failure of my house roof and we are at the very beginning of that adventure, hoping it will be done or at least weathered- in by the time snow flies again in '15. I have to confess two things: I have not even ridden a motorcycle this year (for shame!) and my C-14 has about 1/2" of dust / crud / building residual on it from the new roof and other construction on the garage. But I think today is the day and we are going to Twisted Throttle's open house.... on A BIKE!

Good to see you are still in it Dustin. I had no idea you were in TN- I wish you looked me up as it was probably my last large COG event.

Brian

Not too much ya'll.... life is crazy on my end at the moment, and I've picked up too many major projects at once for too many people (myself included) that I need to sort out before I can play with the C14 again. I did have to do another fuel pump in it, but other than that it's just shredding tires and suckin' up gas like it was designed to do it. Did a sweet little 2-up trip with the missus last year to the Rally in TN, then over to Myrtle Beach, then over to Panama City & New Orleans... and eventually back to southern AZ. That was good times.

The Zx-10R is getting some development as a land speed bike/missile/death trap.... I'm working on an air-to-water intercooler with a hand built (extended) swingarm to act as the reservoir/heat exchanger. Fun build thread over on ZX-10R.net on the progress, however slow it is.

Once I'm finished with that & the few car projects I have, I'm getting another Disco Potato and it's going back on the C14. I'm going to make minor fuel system changes (bigger injectors and ditch that high-rising FPR nonsense), add a water injection system, and get a beefed up clutch set-up.... but it will make boost again. :) This bike is just too much fun @ 9psi. :) I'll have to put the secondary flies back in though.... at least my in town mileage will go back up! HAHAH Turbos for better fuel mileage!! I'm getting that on a T-shirt.

FWIW on topic: 9psi will let the 1st gen crack 200mph, but only barely with the bags off. Real speeds above 170mph with the bags on usually result in some pretty scarey buffeting and weaving of the ass end.... no thanks. Depending on what dyno numbers you believe for a stock bike, that's in the low to mid 200's in HP. (~65% more power than a stock connie with a slip-on). You can do all the math you want, but that's about what it takes. :) It'll run 9's on the stock clutch with lazy launching and wheelie past anything but an H2 from down low.... but the thick air is a real bastard over 140mph. At my elevation the NA version was good for mph in the low160's.... not much more if any.

It will live again!! Mark my words!!  ;D
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #225 on: May 30, 2015, 08:02:21 AM »
Did they fill the sink hole at the museum?

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #226 on: May 30, 2015, 08:06:21 AM »
I do not know- I have not gotten a report about the museum as he is still there. I may find out tomorrow.

Brian

Did they fill the sink hole at the museum?

elp_jc

« Reply #227 on: June 05, 2015, 12:38:38 AM »
Got the bike on its first trip (finally), and it was awesome, especially in the twisties. But on the few uneven ones, it wasn't confidence inspiring; bike pogoed way too much for my liking. Bike feels pretty stiff on any non-smooth road with stock preloads and my 160# frame. And have the rebounds stock at the rear but only 3 clicks at the front. It shouldn't be feeling like a Buick when it's pretty stiff everywhere else. It wasn't scary, but didn't like it. Wonder if adding more preload to the rear would maybe help?

Now back to the subject. Was constantly accelerating and fully coasting (closed throttle) from 4 to 5K rpm, to help sit the rings. Thought I was about half throttle since there wasn't any hard acceleration felt. Well, decided to go WOT until 6K rpm quickly as of not to baby the engine too much, and to my surprise, I was like a millimeter from WOT all the previous times I was accelerating from 4 to 5K rpm. Yeah, I know 6th is much taller on this bike than most, but was expecting a bit more. Oh well. It's not bad at all, and definitely enough. But if I want acceleration in the future (once break-in is over), will downshift at least to 5th, where top-speed happens. At my altitude of 4K+ feet, don't think the bike would top out in 6th, but plan to find out ;D. It climbed slowly to 125 until 6 grand, where I coasted back to 4K rpm. Bike sits at exactly 400 miles now, and am in the middle of changing final drive and engine oils. I'll consider break-in done at 500 ;).

Offline datsaxman@hotmail.com

• Arena
« Reply #228 on: June 05, 2015, 07:56:32 PM »
NOBODY's C14 tops out in 6th. 

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=2084

...even though the thread is drenched with BS and a silly argument about what a simple term means ("Overdrive"...correctly stated early on as a transmission ratio less than 1.00), it should be evident that top speed is achieved in 5th gear.  Another 100 miles...

Dat
Sax
Man
2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

sailor_chic

« Reply #229 on: June 06, 2015, 07:10:49 AM »
Inquiring minds need to know...  How did you come up with the conclusion that your engine is  broke in at 500 miles, when a well educated group of engineers who designed the engine, arrived at the break-in mark to be 600 miles?
Even after the 600 miles, I believe there still is a rpm limit until 1000 miles.

elp_jc

« Reply #230 on: June 06, 2015, 12:05:53 PM »
How did you come up with the conclusion that your engine is  broke in at 500 miles, when a well educated group of engineers who designed the engine, arrived at the break-in mark to be 600 miles?
First, I never said I know my engine will be broken in. Second, how the heck do you know that a 'well educated groups of engineers' came up with break-in restrictions??? It was most likely lawyers and/or government, not engineers. Many engines and/or vehicles are run to redline at the factory, yet they still call for a long break-in... and most of that is only in the US. Having said that, what I meant was I'll be done with break-in at 500 miles. Why? Because it's my bike ;D. And that doesn't mean I'll be WOT and redline all the time. Just that when I need to (definitely not often), won't be holding back anymore. What you said is the equivalent of saying a well-educated group of engineers came up with maximum speed limits, and you break them, right ::)? Also subject to interpretation ;). Have a great weekend ahead folks.

sailor_chic

« Reply #231 on: June 06, 2015, 07:33:41 PM »
My mistake for confusing  your quote " I'll consider my break-in done at 500 miles "  with my terminology of "broken in".
What's that new phrase ...  My bad!

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #232 on: June 08, 2015, 03:28:07 AM »
First, I never said I know my engine will be broken in. Second, how the heck do you know that a 'well educated groups of engineers' came up with break-in restrictions??? It was most likely lawyers and/or government, not engineers. Many engines and/or vehicles are run to redline at the factory, yet they still call for a long break-in... and most of that is only in the US. Having said that, what I meant was I'll be done with break-in at 500 miles. Why? Because it's my bike ;D. And that doesn't mean I'll be WOT and redline all the time. Just that when I need to (definitely not often), won't be holding back anymore. What you said is the equivalent of saying a well-educated group of engineers came up with maximum speed limits, and you break them, right ::)? Also subject to interpretation ;). Have a great weekend ahead folks.
My mistake for confusing  your quote " I'll consider my break-in done at 500 miles "  with my terminology of "broken in".
What's that new phrase ...  My bad!
I think the proper phrase is 'noreasontobeadicaboutit'.

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #233 on: June 08, 2015, 11:39:23 AM »
I think the proper phrase is 'noreasontobeadicaboutit'.

yeah what he said!!  :nuts:

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #234 on: June 09, 2015, 09:48:06 PM »
this thread is so full of win, it deserves a *bumP*

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #235 on: June 10, 2015, 02:46:36 PM »

:popcorn: :rotflmao:

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline tomp

« Reply #236 on: June 10, 2015, 04:33:10 PM »

IS that Win, or Wind, as in a hot air breeze?   ;D
Living in the Texas Coast...