Author Topic: MC Enterprises Canyon Cages Drop test video...??  (Read 228150 times)

Offline ninjawarrior1400

• "There is no second place winner in a gunfight."
MC Enterprises Canyon Cages Drop test video...??
« on: November 09, 2013, 01:36:02 PM »
Where can I see a copy of the Drop Test Video done by CHP on the C-14 for the MC Enterprises Canyon Cages, the newer more narrow bars?

Ninja
Ninjawarrior

Offline RBX QB

Re: MC Enterprises Canyon Cages Drop test video...??
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 02:25:01 PM »
I've seen the drops on LEO bars, but never seen one for the Canyon Cages. And I think those bars were a different manufacturer, and the video was posted by the builders of the LEO bikes.

I kind of doubt there is one of the MCE Canyons, as that kind of momentum could easily roll the bike onto the mirrors. These cages don't have the same level of protection as the LEO bars.

There are pics from the build (on this forum) of the mock-up bike set on its side, but it was never dropped.
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 03:16:27 PM »
I kind of doubt there is one of the MCE Canyons, as that kind of momentum could easily roll the bike onto the mirrors. These cages don't have the same level of protection as the LEO bars.

A static drop will not have enough to roll the bike, especially if you also have the rear bars, also (those will fight any roll potential).  But not something I would want to do on my bike!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 03:40:48 PM »
A static drop will not have enough to roll the bike, especially if you also have the rear bars, also (those will fight any roll potential).  But not something I would want to do on my bike!

I dunno... a loaded bike with a full tank? I think it would just need to roll onto the rectangular bit to get the mirrors. How about if I up the ante and say it static falls downhill?  ;D

ZG has lots of replacement panels sitting around, maybe he'll film something for us.

I found the vid of the LEO drop (Probity Cycles)... Probity Cycle Inc. Kawasaki Concours 1400 ENFORCER DROP TEST. It's a Gen 1, and a different bar design than MCE's LEO bars. I get chills every time I see it hit the ground.
2011 Concours 14 ABS

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 04:56:28 PM »
I dunno... a loaded bike with a full tank? I think it would just need to roll onto the rectangular bit to get the mirrors.

I am very confident it wouldn't with the rear bars also present.  Not a static fall (on a level surface).  I have already "tested" a mostly static fall (attempted to help it not fall, but any attempt is not very helpful when you have really short legs) and had no rollover- not even close.

How about if I up the ante and say it static falls downhill?  ;D

That is where it gets interesting.  Often things are not so simple as a static fall on a level surface...

ZG has lots of replacement panels sitting around, maybe he'll film something for us.

He has Top Blocks and no rears.  That combination is far more likely to roll over in any similar comparison.  Just geometry and physics
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2013, 05:43:22 PM »
... I have already "tested" a mostly static fall (attempted to help it not fall, but any attempt is not very helpful when you have really short legs) and had no rollover- not even close.

Ah... the (reluctant) assisted static drop. I did one of those last year... rocked a little, but not close to rolling onto the flat spot of the Canyon Cage.

I've been Googling for drop info on the Canyons, but all I find are our stories on this forum... and none of us immortalized it with video.
2011 Concours 14 ABS

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2013, 10:05:47 PM »
I've been Googling for drop info on the Canyons, but all I find are our stories on this forum... and none of us immortalized it with video.

Well, unless it was intentional, there is very little chance of it being on video.

Offline ninjawarrior1400

• "There is no second place winner in a gunfight."
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 07:46:21 AM »
I would hope that MC Enterprises would do a consumer video and post it as a good selling point to further enhance the credibility of what their Canyon  Cages will and will not do.  I guess i saw the LE test an was impressed with that, but did not realize that the Canyon Cagers were a different unit.
My error....but if anyone has one to post would be happy to see it.
Thanks,

Ninja
Ninjawarrior

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2013, 08:40:15 AM »
I would hope that MC Enterprises would do a consumer video and post it as a good selling point to further enhance the credibility of what their Canyon  Cages will and will not do.

I bet if you volunteer your bike to them, they will be happy to make the videos :)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2013, 08:48:11 AM »

:o

Offline BobK

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 06:12:40 AM »
I just joined the forum as I'm picking up a used 2011 on Friday so I have been looking through the forums for useful information which I have already found a lot of here. I also have a 2005 Goldwing that has fallen over a couple of times ( once it starts 800+ pounds is hard to stop) and they have very similar bars as Canyon has designed and the goldwing just simply comes to rest on the bars with zero damage to anything else.

Offline Sgt Mac

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2013, 07:58:31 AM »
I was hit from the side at a traffic circle, the bike went down with quite a bit more force than a static drop and did not roll. No damage to plastics and worth every penny spent on them.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2013, 03:49:24 PM »
I just joined the forum as I'm picking up a used 2011 on Friday so I have been looking through the forums for useful information which I have already found a lot of here. I also have a 2005 Goldwing that has fallen over a couple of times ( once it starts 800+ pounds is hard to stop) and they have very similar bars as Canyon has designed and the goldwing just simply comes to rest on the bars with zero damage to anything else.

I think the biggest difference is that the Concours falls WAY over on the Canyons, much further than the Goldwing (if my estimates from photos, videos, and experience are accurate) (there is more clearance on the Concours).  So although the Concours doesn't weigh as much, it is probably even harder to get back up.   I couldn't do it.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2013, 04:11:39 PM »
I would hope that MC Enterprises would do a consumer video and post it as a good selling point to further enhance the credibility of what their Canyon  Cages will and will not do.  I guess i saw the LE test an was impressed with that, but did not realize that the Canyon Cagers were a different unit.
My error....but if anyone has one to post would be happy to see it.
Thanks,

Ninja
Enhance their credibility?  GTFOOH.  I bet you're the kind of person that wants to see a human wear a bullet proof vest for "credibility".  I guess you missed the small thread during the design phase.  Ryan and his crew have all the "cred" they need.

Offline sf bay rider

• Humble student of the ZG1400
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2013, 04:32:31 PM »
I have a set of Gen 1 "Bathroom Bars" on my motor. Best $515.00 I, ever spent.
I have tipped the bike over a few times. Some steel wool and black color spray paint.
Good as new.  The tuperware is still looking good.  Paid for and running. Just the way I
like it!

More as things develop.
Jack

2014 Red ZG1400CEFL

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2013, 04:41:10 PM »
I have a set of Gen 1 "Bathroom Bars" on my motor. Best $515.00 I, ever spent.
I have tipped the bike over a few times. Some steel wool and black color spray paint.
Good as new.  The tuperware is still looking good.  Paid for and running. Just the way I
like it!

More as things develop.

Several of us have done that test with our Canyons... same happy result.
2011 Concours 14 ABS

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2013, 05:19:45 PM »
Several of us have done that test with our Canyons... same happy result.

Except I opted for chrome  ::)

Fortunately, the touch-down scrapes/blemishes are not really in visible areas and somehow didn't seem to go through the plating.  I cleaned the two with alcohol and bought some clear nail polish and touched over them just to make sure.

Offline RyanMCEnterprises

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2013, 04:03:33 PM »
I suppose it's time for me to chime in here! First off, I really appreciate the positive feedback from those of you with our products. It makes me happy to know that you guys dig our guards and they've done a sufficient job of protecting your bikes. Anyway, the LEO bars from the drop video on YouTube and the Canyon Cages are both made by us. However, there are a few other companies out there that make similar products for the LE bikes. We sell a ton of the LEO bars to companies that build bikes for various law enforcement agencies around the country.

Concours Tip Over

As far as protection goes, the LE Guards do offer a bit more protection at high speeds because they stick further out and extend higher on the bike. However, our Canyon Cages allow for much more aggressive lean angles while still offering a great amount of protection, especially during no-to-low speed tip-overs which is what they were specifically designed for. Additionally, the Canyon Cages are much better suited for clamp-on highway pegs. Every wreck at speed is different and there are tons of factors that come into play so it's extremely difficult to create a product that protects against them all. We've heard from quite a few customers that had pretty hairy wrecks that the Canyon Cages performed well beyond expectation but, as I said, every situation is a bit different. Check out the photo below. This was a guy who recently ordered some replacement pieces after a crash on a track with our guards installed. In this case, the bike did roll over the guard and ding the mirror and there was one other very small scuff but his final tab was around $500 for repairs, if I remember correctly. Without the guards, his bike very well could have been totaled and certainly would have been much more costly to repair. For him, the guards paid for themselves probably two or three times over on that one incident.

Unfortunately I don't have any drop test videos for you guys with the Canyon Cages installed as we haven't been able to get our hands on a bike we're allowed to drop since we designed the Canyon Cages but I'm hoping we'll be able to film one in the near future. However, a customer did film a short video showcasing how steady the bike rests on the Canyon Cages when it goes over. It's much more difficult than people assume and takes quite a bit of force to roll over that initial hit point. In the video, the guy laid his bike over and let it rest on the guards.  He then pushed the bike passed the initial hit point and released it which caused the bike to spring right back up onto the guards. This gives you an idea of how steady it rests on the guards once it hits the ground.

Concours Canyon Cage Contact Point

I hope this helps answer any questions you guys had regarding the level of protection offered by our Canyon Cages. If any of you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask! I know the video I linked isn't quite as good as an actual drop test video but it's all I have for now. As I said, we certainly plan on filming one once we have a chance to bring in a bike we can actually drop. Once we have a chance to shoot a true drop test video, I'll be sure to upload it here for you guys. I know the Canyon Cages will perform just fine because the drop test will essentially be a static drop and perhaps a slow-moving tip-over (which the Canyon Cages work wonders for) but it'll certainly be a nice thing to show people that are on the fence about ordering them.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 08:45:27 AM by RyanMCEnterprises »
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Son of Pappy

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2013, 05:22:10 PM »
 ::) Proof positive that MCE stands in front of, alongside, and behind their product.

Thanks Ryan

Offline phoneman

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2013, 05:23:21 PM »
   I could have used your cages about 30 minutes ago.

Pulled into the driveway, Kicked out the side stand ( at least I thought I did ), and started to lean the bike over.

And over she went--slowly and painfully.  Scratched the left mirror, the heat deflector, and the lower cowling a little.  Even got a little scratch on the left side fairing.

Just a warning for you guys that might not already know--when this heavy beotch starts going over there ain't much you're gonna do to stop her.  And I'm a pretty strong guy.

And yeah I'm kinda pissed about it.  I can't remember ever dropping a bike just trying to park.

Funny how easy it was to pick back up.  I did say I was pissed didn't I ?

Canyon Cages--good.   Laying bike down on grass--not too bad.  Laying bike down on concrete driveway--very bad.

It will probably be funny tomorrow.  Or maybe in a week or two.  Dadgummit.