Author Topic: Starting in gear.....Bike ended up on its side  (Read 11761 times)

Offline Shoe

Re: Starting in gear.....Bike ended up on its side
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2011, 08:39:12 PM »
Was wondering if anyone has had their bike engage a gear as you were starting it.

Not exactly. I had something similar happen on my C10. I completed a valve adjustment on the bike. I started it and backed out the garage. The bike was in neutral all the time. I grabbed the brake and clutch as I normally do and as I put the bike in gear it suddenly lurched forward and my right hand lost its grip on the brake. The next thing I knew the bike had hit the garage door frame and me and the bike were on the ground.  >:(

The only thing I can figure was the clutch didn't want to let go when I squeezed it. Ever since then I always work the clutch and brake a couple of times before I start the bike.   
Eat corn. Drill for oil.

2008 Concours, 2010 Goldwing

Offline Z71

« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2011, 07:46:43 PM »
   I've never started my bike without being in the saddle with both hands on the grips and the clutch pulled in.

That's the safest way to do it.

Offline texrider

« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2011, 10:37:30 PM »
If not on it, at least hold the front brake while pushing the start button... 8)
2014 Valkyrie

Offline booger

« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2011, 07:43:14 AM »
I'll start her and let her warm up while I am putting on the gear, but have the habit of pulling in the clutch while I am mounting the bike.

Never even noticed me clutching it while mounting until I read this thread. ???