Author Topic: Looking for parts for an 86. Upper fairing braket, etc  (Read 1151 times)

Offline mrhedges

Looking for parts for an 86. Upper fairing braket, etc
« on: December 12, 2021, 11:12:01 AM »
I had a mild crash this summer. Been riding the bike trying to decide what to do and I think I'm leaning towards fixing the broken parts instead of turning it into a naked bike. Here are some of the pieces I need if ppl have them.=
-Right side Saddle bag or the hardware. The latch that attaches the right side to the rack got lost in the crash but the bag itself is mostly ok but I can't find any latches for sale just entire bags
-Upper Fairing bracket
- Windscreen
-both mirrors

The upper fairing is cracked but I think it's fixable

Thanks for reading

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
Re: Looking for parts for an 86. Upper fairing braket, etc
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2021, 02:48:31 AM »
I have many of those parts but being in the UK the shipping will be $$$.
I'm sure others on here will have some of the parts you need and there is eBay for the rest.
For the upper fairing bracket you will need one from an 86-93 as it changed design for the 94-06 due to the update of the instruments & fairing.
Saddlebag latches are rare as they are normally riveted in so you may have to grab a full saddlebag (86 bags are smooth, 87-06 are crinkle finish) or even a matching pair.
Plenty of windscreens and mirrors on eBay but none of it is cheap.
The upper fairing is easy enough to plastic weld (ABS) or stick together with the appropriate glue.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline mrhedges

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2021, 09:32:24 AM »
Yea I was curious about gluing the upper fairing back together

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2021, 03:04:22 AM »
Yea I was curious about gluing the upper fairing back together
It depends on where it's cracked. If it's the usual bit around the turn signals then glue generally doesn't work.
I found that plastic welding worked but is difficult as the plastic is quite thin there.
Once I got mine welded and shaped correctly, I then roughed up the inner surface and reinforced it with 2 layers of woven mat fibreglass.

For gluing busted parts back on, you can use a mixture of Acetone and powdered ABS or get some ABS/PVC cement.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline m in sc

• Polluting Rockhill with 2 strokes for decades.
    • 2 stroke world
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2021, 08:34:05 AM »
i have an upper bracket off a 2000. will that work? Id take 50 bucks + shipping.

im in South Carolina, PM me if interested.
I break and fix stuff.  No more concours's in the stables. see you guys around...