Author Topic: Motorcycle Fuel Article (CMG online.com)  (Read 2796 times)

Offline CrashKLRtoConnie

Motorcycle Fuel Article (CMG online.com)
« on: June 14, 2011, 10:04:49 AM »
FYI Good Read on Fuel and Motorcycles

http://cmgonline.com/content/view/3312/57/

Written Feb 2011 and has Kawasaki Info

Question: Anyone know if the C10 and C14 use knock sensors to detect detonation and retard the ignition timing?

example ....

NOT JUST COMPRESSION RATIOS

This is pretty interesting. A list of Kawasaki's current offerings showing the differing compression ratios in relation to bore size; the larger the bore, the lower the CR. NOTE - Gary sent us minimum octane values too, which we have added so you can see how all the factors inter-relate. Complicated, no?. Anyone care to come up with a formula/graph based on this????
Chart provided by Gary Comer, Canadian Kawasaki Motors.

Some motorcycles today also use knock sensors to detect detonation and retard the ignition timing, which has the effect of running the engine cooler to counter the knocking, and it’s these bikes that are most likely to display a loss of power when using a lower-grade fuel than recommended. 

The result with this setup is knock-free running, even when using low-octane fuel, however peak power also drops off as a result of the altered timing, though it must be stressed that this has nothing to do with the energy available in the fuel.
2008 C14 GTR1400 AKA "Connie"

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Motorcycle Fuel Article (CMG online.com)
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 10:15:42 AM »
C10 doesn't for sure.  I don't think the C14 uses them either.

Update:  Just verified through my service manual that we don't have a knock sensor on the 08/09 bikes.  Can't say for sure, without a manual, for the 10/11.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 06:03:03 PM by VirginiaJim »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline CrashKLRtoConnie

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 10:26:45 AM »

Update:  Just verified through my service manual that we don't have a knock sensor on the 08/09 bikes.  Can't say for sure, without a manual, for the 10/11.

Thanks Jim

2008 C14 GTR1400 AKA "Connie"

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 06:41:38 PM »

Even if it did, that would not make using lower-octane fuel "OK"....
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 03:33:56 AM »
Totally agree. 
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline GTRrob

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 09:16:11 AM »
I wish the article covered some info on additives such as fuel system/injector cleaners.  I usually use a bottle every four or five tanks in my cars and trucks, but never have in a motorcycle. What do you guys think about that kind of stuff?

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 08:33:35 PM »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018, 02:30:56 PM »
I wish the article covered some info on additives such as fuel system/injector cleaners.  I usually use a bottle every four or five tanks in my cars and trucks, but never have in a motorcycle. What do you guys think about that kind of stuff?

I starting noticing my Concours idling a little rough, hesitating a little bit, and running a little rough mostly at lower load/throttle.  I checked my log- WOW, I hadn't run any cleaner through it in almost 3 years and 18,000 miles.  Threw in half a bottle of Techron mid-fill on a new tank of gas. What a difference- and it only took about 20 miles before I noticed the changes.  Ran through that tank and now back to just gas and running well.  I don't know what is in that stuff, but I highly recommend it.

I wish they would put a window on the side so measuring less than a full bottle isn't guess work.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc