Author Topic: rear shock pressure ? How much?  (Read 6069 times)

Offline Dan

rear shock pressure ? How much?
« on: June 28, 2011, 06:37:51 AM »
For those of you who have traveled far solo, but somewhat packed out, what do u set ur shock pressure at, and do you ride with the preset at #4?

Thanks guys, t0mmorrow weather is gonna be a high of 80, and we will be on pa 76, leaving this state, hitting ohio... and then sme rest somewhere...  then milwakee, and the great beyond,..... 2 guys, experienced riders, but never did a trip like this.... The connie is ready though....

ok ltr
Dan 

Offline snarf

• Arena
Re: rear shock pressure ? How much?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 07:53:20 AM »
Dan I ride on #2 and about 38lbs.  This works out well for most of the riding I do, solo and two-up
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline Dan

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 08:49:47 AM »
Thanks Snarf...

We should be headed out that way, think we are gonna go across 90 from milwaukee, to yelowstone, anything to watch out for out there?

Dan

Offline gtr1000

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 10:50:27 AM »
Dan, if it's any help, consider my wife as "luggage"  :-X

She weighs in at a mere 120lbs and we used to ride around at 30psi, #3 with 15wt oil in the shock and the bike was planted on all but fast (60+ mph) undulating/bumpy twisties.

Heh, she never reads this forum so I'm safe  ::)
Paul OTP (near Windsor, GB).

06 C-10, 2009 to .....
A5 C-10, 2000 to 2009.

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 11:01:18 AM »
Dan, if it's any help, consider my wife as "luggage"  :-X
Heh, she never reads this forum so I'm safe  ::)
:rotflmao:

Good one gtr1000

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 11:35:25 AM »
I run the pressure at 40~45-ish.  And switch between 2 and 3 depending on what riding I'm doing.  But I'm security squad sized. 
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Dano59

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 12:21:44 PM »
I guess I had better gety pressure up. I've had it at 15 to get the seat hight down and with my weight I am putting more weight on Grace than most of you 2up loaded ;D
Dano59

Offline Dan

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 04:50:05 PM »
Hmm.

Well I am going 38 and #2 for starters.. 
Should have done this before when I was 2 up...

I did stiffen the preload, and I felt I went into the turns a bit faster than before, she glided in with less dive...  So for the h way and some speen this should really make a diference, i am packing rt now... getting ready, just got a deal on the most imp thing, a new fuji film, frost proof, dust proof, water proof, not sure about fire so that I can relive the memories over and over....  She is runnin great... 18 k ready for about 8-10 more this summer....

I am excited, and I keep saying less is more, less is more...  I am ready Mr. president.. oops.. :) flashback...;lol

Ok ltr guys.

Dan

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 05:01:08 PM »
Hope ya have a great time. Packing for a trip can be a biotch. I dont know how she does it but my wife can pack a ton of bricks into a shoe box.
Important questions, what are you using to air up your shock? It can be real easy to blow the seals out. If using compressed air make sure to dial foam the pressure to what you want to put in.
Now my turn: on early model bikes; what pressure are people using for the front forks? My 02 doesnt seem to have this problem LOL.
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline Dano59

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 05:10:34 PM »
Hey Snarf, what color is that bike? it's beautiful?
Dano59

Offline Dan

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 05:29:36 PM »
I used my low pressure tire inflator, never holding it on more than 3 seconds, pressure never went over 45 pounds, and is now at 38...

so we should be good,

Dan

Offline throb

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 06:59:22 PM »
we are gonna go across 90 from milwaukee, to yelowstone, anything to watch out for out there?

Probably too late on this post, but watch out for every cager in Milwaukee/Madison area.  They all ave their own agenda, which doesn't include you staying upright! 
'05 Concours, SISF's 2 min jet mod and exhaust cam sprocket, snarf's block off plates, risers, SS lines, fork brace, T-Cro's stick coils & shift linkage, ZZR1200 rear shock, MS rear wheel.

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 07:00:53 PM »
  But I'm security squad sized.

"You are da brute squad..."
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2011, 06:47:52 AM »
"You are da brute squad..."

Yeah, I was thinking that as I typed.  (In Miracle Max's voice, of course)  :rotflmao:
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2011, 07:15:46 PM »
Yeah, I was thinking that as I typed.  (In Miracle Max's voice, of course)  :rotflmao:

I'm sooo glad you got that reference ;D, it would have been lost if you didn't!! (one of my perpetual favorite movies!)
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190

Offline RapidRoy

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2011, 10:13:38 AM »
The guy I bought my bike from was abut 140Lbs. He ran 25psi & No. 2. I'm 250Lbs. and that setting was like riding on a cloud for me. I rode it for a bit and scraped the hard stuff when I hit a bump on a corner. Now I'm running 35Lbs. & No. 3. I had my wife on the back for a short ride and the 35/3 setting was a bit too light, so I think for 2 up I'm going to go for 42/3.

I've also cranked the front preload to one notch from the top and that seems to be much better for handling/braking, though a bit more of the road seems to find its way into my wrists. I was surprised to find progressive springs when I changed the fork oil a few months ago.

I really love the adjustability of the suspension on the C10. I've had other bikes where suspension adjustments didn't seem to make as much difference.
'99 C-10

voileauciel

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2011, 12:11:31 AM »
Reading all of this makes me think that perhaps I've got my rear preload set a bit too high...

I'm 300+ (depending on what and how much I've had for lunch, that can be a BIG plus or a little plus) and I find the rear to be downright bouncy at times. Seeing that there are people here at 250 with a passenger, that makes me wonder.

I put about 45psi in the shock. I don't remember off hand exactly how much, might be slightly higher. I do know that in the twisties, she's more than capable of keeping up with sport bikes...

Quick and funny anecdote: went out and rode PA 125 about a month ago. Saw a couple dudes on CBRs and let them get ahead of me, thinking they'd get tired of being behind my poky self. Turns out I was not only keeping up with them, but was ready to pass at the first instance!

So I guess it's a trade-off: stiff ride, good handling; smoother ride, scraping some hard stuff.

Then again, the guys who usually ride behind me are smokers, so maybe it's a win-win?