Author Topic: Motorcycle Parking Charges  (Read 2674 times)

Offline StormzRed

Motorcycle Parking Charges
« on: June 18, 2011, 04:39:51 PM »
So, there I am, sitting in a bar in Derby U.K., when a girl walks up and asks me to help with her uni course. She asked me some questions about paying for motorcycle parking, (which has just started in some places in the UK), to help with her research. Then she asked, "How many places around the world charge for motorcycle parking?"

I told her I didn't know so she gave me a link to an on-line 9 question survey and asked me to pass it around.

So, my fellow GTR fans, wherever you come from; Fancy filling in the survey?

Yes! Well here's the link; http://kwiksurveys.com?u=motorbikeparking 

If she gets enough replies she's promised to buy me a beer :D

You wouldn't want me to go thirsty, would you! ;D

Cheers

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Motorcycle Parking Charges
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 08:09:56 PM »
Didn't see an option for putting quarters in a parking meter.

Offline jim_de_hunter

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 09:05:35 PM »
Okay.  Dude registers in May.  Been on the forum for a total of 40 minutes.   Then posts a link to be followed?

Homey don't play dat.

2006 ZG1000 "The Blue Monster"

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 09:07:03 PM »
I'll pass too.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 09:54:28 PM »
If I park in a space with a meter in a city I pay the meter.  If I park in a deck that charges for parking I pay the fee charged by the deck.  I'm not sure I understand the OP's question or purpose.  I pay the same fee a car would pay if I'm occupying the same space a car would and is charged for parking.  Is there something different in the UK vs here?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 10:00:29 PM »
Yeah, broke Gov't finding that bikes instead of cars, even though they use less gas and take up less space, don't bring in the revenue like cars. Look for them to start charging for bicycles in about 25 years or so after folks stop riding bikes cause it got too expensive like cars did 30 years ago. This is solely conjecture on my part.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline StormzRed

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 03:55:49 AM »
Hi all,

Virginia Jim, yeah it's a little different here in the UK. In some carparks there is a dedicated 'free' motorcycle parking area, usually tucked up the back end of the carpark. Some councils are now looking at raising revenue by charging. Most of the on-street bays are for cars, and so, like yourself, we have to pay the same as a car. Since a London Borough Council won a High Court action to apply parking charges to motorcycles, there are more councils looking at the idea.

Jim de Hunter, Oh! Sorry about that. I didn't realise that there was a minimum usage before I'm allowed to post. Just to set your mind at rest. I joined in May because one of my two GTR A1 machines needs a carb change, so I joined and have spent hours trawling through the tech posts, and very helpful they were too. I posted this post because I thought it was an interesting question, and I want the beer, obviously ;D

Cheers

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 06:19:07 AM »
Hi all,

Virginia Jim, yeah it's a little different here in the UK. In some carparks there is a dedicated 'free' motorcycle parking area, usually tucked up the back end of the carpark. Some councils are now looking at raising revenue by charging. Most of the on-street bays are for cars, and so, like yourself, we have to pay the same as a car. Since a London Borough Council won a High Court action to apply parking charges to motorcycles, there are more councils looking at the idea.

Jim de Hunter, Oh! Sorry about that. I didn't realise that there was a minimum usage before I'm allowed to post. Just to set your mind at rest. I joined in May because one of my two GTR A1 machines needs a carb change, so I joined and have spent hours trawling through the tech posts, and very helpful they were too. I posted this post because I thought it was an interesting question, and I want the beer, obviously ;D

Cheers

No minimum usage required for posting but we've had cases where members with post counts of '0' were wanting us to click on links or trying to sell us something rather than really owning the bike.  Glad you're here.  Post counts don't go up posting in the 'Open Forum' BTW.

Thanks for the explanation.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline StormzRed

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 06:11:00 AM »
Ah, thanks for that Virginia Jim, now I understand Jim de Hunter's concern.

Yep, I'm real, although that's been questioned sometimes in the past ;D, and not a snake oil salesman.

Now, at the risk of being rude; Virginia Jim, there's a definate St. George theme to your avatar. Are you an English ex-pat in Virginia, or, a Virginian ex-pat in England. I'm just curious.

Thanks to anyone that has contributed to my quest for free beer ;D

Cheers All

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 07:40:17 AM »
OK the site looks legit and I did not encounter any problems. I have done my part to help you get the girl... I mean the beer. Please let us know if you are successful.

Offline WillyP

• Suncook Carpentry
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 12:48:50 PM »
"3. If NO please answer remaining questions on your prefered method of payment
   If YES please answer the remaining questions"

lol, wat? All of the questions following are required, yet had no options for anyone who had never paid for M/C parking.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 04:48:29 PM »
Ah, thanks for that Virginia Jim, now I understand Jim de Hunter's concern.

Yep, I'm real, although that's been questioned sometimes in the past ;D , and not a snake oil salesman.

Now, at the risk of being rude; Virginia Jim, there's a definate St. George theme to your avatar. Are you an English ex-pat in Virginia, or, a Virginian ex-pat in England. I'm just curious.

Thanks to anyone that has contributed to my quest for free beer ;D

Cheers All

I'm all for free beer as well....  St. George eh, I hadn't noticed.....   Actually, my mother is from Ipswich and I was born at Burderop USAF hospital complex near Swindon quite some time ago.  Dad was based at Greenham Common at the time.  I have a fondness for the English..  Oh, and I've been living in the States since late 1968...  Haven't been back to the mother country in all that time  :'(