Author Topic: Made my own heat shield  (Read 2546 times)

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
Made my own heat shield
« on: August 07, 2011, 07:39:51 PM »
I have been kicking around the idea of paying Zsteve for his heat panels and wondered if I could just do it myself.  I have some MK-19 pads which I have seen used by mechanics to cushion their knees and butts when working on our trucks so I know they don't melt very easily.  I formed them up and stuffed em in and they work great.  I took my wife on a two hour ride this morning and I noticed a huge improvement, even though I haven't ever really been bothered by the heat, but it was there.  I also put some heat shielding under my fuel tank and it also helped a little bit. 

If anyone is as cheap as I am and is interested in trying to cut your own panels out I still have enough for a bike or two.  I can also try to get some more if there is enough interest.  I would only ask that you pay for shipping.

I know $50 isn't a big deal and I am not trying to steal business from Zsteve but this might help the guys that don't want to spend the cash on something that Kawi should have addressed before the 08's came out.

Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline koval68

Re: Made my own heat shield
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 07:57:27 PM »
There is nothing wrong with being frugal.....more money in your packet for other farkles.
Well done, Youngling!
Tom"Killer"Kowalski   COG#9263  Newmarket,Ontario
"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need,  but not every man's greed."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline tundra dweller

• XLR8
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 08:41:54 PM »
I did the same with some truck mud flaps from fleet farm way to go nice job
"When my time has come I prefer to be in the Saddle rather than the Recliner"

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 09:47:02 PM »
Nice and nice report, that looks GREAT    

Wish it would work on my Honda, that thing lit me up today in the Fl heat, every red light.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline AaronJM

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 01:16:22 PM »
This is something I've wanted to do since day one with my 08. I appreciate Zteve (and others) who have fashioned parts to sell forum members but $$$ is always the overriding factor for me. I am interested in any pieces you have left Jeremy. I'd be happy to drop some money in your Pay Pal account if it still applies.
"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy."

W.B. Yeats

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 03:44:56 PM »
AaronJM, not a problem just send me your address.

Offline JS_racer

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 01:22:16 PM »
looks great, any tips you found with the tank reducing the bean roaster ?? ;D

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 06:18:31 PM »
looks great, any tips you found with the tank reducing the bean roaster ?? ;D

I just bought a windshield heat shade and trimmed it to fit under the tank all the way to the rear to where the back two bolts fasten the tank.  It was literally a 15 minute job, and would have been at least twice as fast with a second set of hands to hold the tank.  I can tell that hugging the tank with my legs is a bit easier [cooler].  For $3 I am happy with the results.