Author Topic: Packing for a trip...  (Read 8763 times)

Offline stlheadake

• Probably not my smartest day...
Packing for a trip...
« on: June 11, 2011, 06:19:21 AM »
OK I am leaving in two weeks for Alaska.  Will be gone for 5 weeks.  Will be camping and hotel/motel-ing along the way.  I am comfortable with my camping gear.  I am seeking suggestions for must haves for tools. 

I don't have a 'tool kit' per se'  I want to put one together.  Each time I start tossing in tools, it gets so damned big, I might as well bring the whole tool box! 

Any suggestions for MUST HAVES in a tool bag for a road trip?  All the necessary tools, with not a lot of bloat.  I have the wheel nut, tire pump, plug kit and I HOPE I never need them!

Any thoughts and suggestions are appreciated!
What do you call those three wheeled Goldwings?....Chicken Wings

08 C14 WOW what a bike!
00 XR650r Hare Scrambler

Offline koval68

Tom"Killer"Kowalski   COG#9263  Newmarket,Ontario
"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need,  but not every man's greed."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
Re: Packing for a trip...
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 08:27:11 AM »
Fly Racing Trail Tool (Google it), which is a T-handle wrench that takes different size sockets, allen heads, etc. About $17. Very compact and VERY useful. Go around your bike and find out exactly what size sockets and allens you need and only take those. PM me if you can't find one locally as I have an extra.

A good knife or multi-tool, although honestly I prefer a knife. No junk. Leatherman makes the best multi.

Fuses, a small roll of duct tape, plastic zip ties in various lengths (you can lock them together to get a longer length if needed to hold something on that has worked loose), $100 tucked away where only you can find it, a credit card and a cell phone.

If you can't fix it with that combination, you are well and truly screwed.

Offline S.Ga.Rider

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 04:17:18 PM »
All I carry is the factory kit and a flat tire repair kit. Then again I have never been on a 12000-15000 mile trip either. lol

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 05:37:03 PM »
All I carry is the factory kit and a flat tire repair kit. Then again I have never been on a 12000-15000 mile trip either. lol

Agree.  Let's be honest, there is not really a hell of a lot you can work on anyway on newer vehicles.  I make sure I have the allen wrenches that fit everything in case I need to get to something under the body work.
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline Tactical_Mik

• Lamh laidir an Uachtar
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 05:54:25 PM »
I take allen keys, the short kind that fit in the rubber strips that hold about 10 pieces.  Also have one with phillips and flat blades.  Tools for front and rear wheels.  Tire repair stuff.  Pliars, electrical tape, knife, fuses, wire ties and OEM tool kit.  So far, there hasn't been anything I haven't been able to take apart.  Of course, I haven't had any emergency issues, just tinkering issues.

Hopefully your trip will only require pil changes and maybe a planned tire change.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I might try to find a small oil filter wrench for those on the road oil changes.
T.S.R.

Bob

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 06:13:24 PM »
I take tools for flat tires (plug kit, compressor, leatherman). I take a small socket set from Cruz tools. I bring a folding Allen key tool from Cruz tools. And definetly a six way screw driver.

And almost important to me:

If you have a fuel processor like a PC III or V. I use to carry the tools needed to be able to unplug the PC V and replug in the OEM fuel mapping in case of trouble with the unit. I think most are already listed with the addition of a socket universal and extension. I would also carry an Awl to help unplug the sockets!

Offline katata1100

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 09:30:13 PM »
I travel with a first aid kit that consists of some pads, tape, bandaids, neosporin, ibuporfin, Clariton, Celebrex and a few vicodins.
After a long trip, you might be achy, never know, hence the inclusion of the pain pills/aniti-inflammatory stuff.

Offline stlheadake

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 09:24:48 AM »
Thanks for the idears!  I USUALLY travel with my tool kit, and a 'few' other must haves on my shorter trips.  HOWEVER, this time it 'feels' different.  I just think I should be prepared.  Lucky for us, we've never needed anything other than a credit card!  I'm going to Cyclegear to check out some tools there.  I like that fly kit.  I have more of those 1/4" allen bits for a screw driver handle than I know what to do with.  I think I'll check into ordering one of those for sure!

Suggestions reminded me of what I had forgotten!  TOO MUCH!  I got the note pad out!

Thanks for the first aid ideas.  We really don't take that AND SHOULD!

08 C14 WOW what a bike!
00 XR650r Hare Scrambler

Offline seanmcva

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 10:01:39 AM »
Just finished watching "Long Way Down" and it seems you can do pretty well with two trucks full of gear and eight men including a medic...  ;)

Offline CrashGordon

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2011, 01:45:49 PM »
Just finished watching "Long Way Down" and it seems you can do pretty well with two trucks full of gear and eight men including a medic...  ;)

Great series along with "Long Way Around" and I thought the same thing. How hard can it be with a support crew following you all the time?

Offline stlheadake

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 06:42:59 AM »
boy how this thread has (d)evolved!  I was a little peeved at the first run how these two VERY well off individuals had EVERYTHING just thrown at them.  BMW, Snap-On, PLUS riding gear.  It was too much!  I can't even think of how much money I have spent, on my upcoming trip, and I haven't even left my driveway!

08 C14 WOW what a bike!
00 XR650r Hare Scrambler

Offline manowarwi

• Midwest Sport Riders
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 06:51:32 AM »
Have you considered renting a satellite phone?  Given the spotty coverage you will encounter with traditional cell phones it may be worth the fees.
http://www.satellitephonerentals.org
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly

2014 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC
2008 Concours - Gone but not forgotten

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2011, 07:40:35 AM »
I travel with a first aid kit that consists of some pads, tape, bandaids, neosporin, ibuporfin, Clariton, Celebrex and a few vicodins.
After a long trip, you might be achy, never know, hence the inclusion of the pain pills/aniti-inflammatory stuff.

One important pill you are missing is the little green pills, the anti-diarrhea pills. When going on a trip like this, you need to throw some of these little guys in your pill case as they are a godsend when you start having "issues".
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2011, 12:32:23 PM »
As stated I carry very basic tools, extra fuses, compressor and tire repair kit, cell phone and charger, SUNSCREEN, plastic bag with spray cleaner and microfiber towel,  and the number for the tow service.  If I get a flat that a repair kit cannot fix I am not prepared to change a tire on the side of the road, it will be going to the nearest facility.  On Fred's CD he has an outstanding section for tools and things to add to the basics.  I feel that the more mods you do to the bike, the more you increase your chance of problems.  I fall under the KISS moto, keep it simple XXXXXX.  Most of my mods are nut and bolt type and have not effected electronics which are the areas that tend to cause problems.     

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2011, 02:57:52 PM »
I'm going cross country with whatever tools are on the bike and a plug kit.

KIPASS has my back  8)
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline stlheadake

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2011, 03:56:24 PM »
One important pill you are missing is the little green pills, the anti-diarrhea pills. When going on a trip like this, you need to throw some of these little guys in your pill case as they are a godsend when you start having "issues".

BOY I never thought of THAT!  Seems that every trip, I wind up having an encounter with THAT issue!   :o

That's going on the list!  I thought about the sat phone, but hell where's the adventure in that?  I have the SPOT for emergencies, so if I need help, it will bring it!

Steve, that's how we used to do it.  Since we are going to be in more 'remote' places on this trip, we need to be a bit more self reliant.

08 C14 WOW what a bike!
00 XR650r Hare Scrambler

valkmc

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2011, 04:28:08 PM »
Hey stlheadake, I am packing also. I take a few extra tools other than what is on the bike, have a tire kit and a compressor and my road side service is good in Canada.

Talked to Verizon and they told me where the blackouts would be, better than I thought, they also said texting from Canada to the US is no extra charge like phone calls are $.69 per minute.

I also have a wifi palm pilot for e-mail if I can find wifi. A lot of the hotels on the way said they have wireless.

Just packed my camping gear in a 33" by 14" by 14" equipment bag to ride on the back seat, two man tent, single air mattress, pump, very small hiking sleeping bag,  and airplane pillow. I found some compression bags at target that as you roll up whatever you have in them air is forced out the bottom and can not get back in, they really shrink things like a pillow and clothes.

I can't wait my journey to Alaska starts next Monday.

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2011, 04:34:11 PM »
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline stlheadake

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2011, 09:23:22 PM »

THOSE pills are VERY IMPORTANT!  I don't leave home without them!  I do tend to rely on what I have at hand when I am not far from SOME dealer/shop.  But heading up to Anchorage, I am anticipating long stretches of not many people, let alone motorcycle dealers.

08 C14 WOW what a bike!
00 XR650r Hare Scrambler