Author Topic: Scratched Your Shield??? BADLY???? FUGGEDABOUDIT!  (Read 4315 times)

Offline Barry

• Arena
Scratched Your Shield??? BADLY???? FUGGEDABOUDIT!
« on: June 06, 2011, 04:10:20 PM »
So, as some of you may/may not recall from the old board, I have a OEM painted shield on my 08 C14.  I got a Cee Bailey's for winter, and a 2nd OEM screen to cut down, and paint.

Being a part-time idiot, I decided to "clean" it with a scotch brite pad.  REALLY bad idea.  So I'm thinking the shild is now clean, but useless.  My buddy has a 3M headlight repair kit he offered to loan me.  Hmmm... my Porter Cable 7424 is a headlight repair kit on steroids.  I bet I can make this problem go away.

So I got the yellow rough cut pad out, some 3M mild abrasive compound, and fired the PC7424 up on 6 (6 = ludicrous speed).

OMG...  I'm not done, but the appearedtoberuined shield is now cleaner and glossier than my OEM painted shield.  So if you jack up your shield, don't sweat, bum a polisher and have at it.

Also, I used a very high tooth count blade in a jig-saw to cut down the OEM screen, using the top of the other OEM screen as a template to draw the curves on.  Cut that thing like butter.  Just cover it with painter's tape first.

I'll post pics later.  Need to shower and get my 2nd Vodka Tonic.  Forgot to mention the Vodka Tonic is a key ingredient in the polishing process.

Cheers ladies....

Barry
Tail of the Dragon at Deal's Gap... Avoid it now, do a trackday.

Area P full exhaust, PC-V, Autotune, filter, flys out.

Offline Irish-14

Re: Scratched Your Shield??? BADLY???? FUGGEDABOUDIT!
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 04:42:47 PM »
Good news, I did the same thing to my new tinted shorty CalSci two weeks ago, ruined the finish, now it looks fogged up all of the time. Thanks for the heads up, may not work on the tint though. Go Irish!

Offline Barry

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 07:21:04 PM »
Here is a crappy phone pic of the shield in the lowest position....  this shield is cut 4".

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 07:23:53 PM »
What made you use a scotchbrite pad to begin with?

???

Offline Viking

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 07:40:58 PM »
Vodka tonic perhaps?

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 07:46:44 PM »

Offline Barry

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 04:18:25 AM »
What made you use a scotchbrite pad to begin with?

???

I wish it was the Vodka Tonic... can't use that as an excuse as this was pre-Vodka Tonic.  The shield has some gunk on it, and I was in a haze apparently, barely lucid, and it just seemed like a good idea.

Barry

Offline Barry

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 10:25:50 AM »
Rode the bike this am with the OEM cut-down shield.  Air flow to crotch/thighs and torso GREATLY improved at low speed.  Where you didn't get perceptible airflow before,  you now get airflow/cooling.  Was not a hot morning, so when at 70-90mph I had the shield raised to about 2" below max height (which is 2" below lowest OEM height) and it felt great for cruising.  NO BUFFETING, no noise.  I'm 5'9".

My guess is it will be a great improvement on very hot days in the lowest position.

YMMV,
Barry

Offline Conrad

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 11:24:19 AM »
Rode the bike this am with the OEM cut-down shield.  Air flow to crotch/thighs and torso GREATLY improved at low speed.  Where you didn't get perceptible airflow before,  you now get airflow/cooling.   Was not a hot morning, so when at 70-90mph I had the shield raised to about 2" below max height (which is 2" below lowest OEM height) and it felt great for cruising.  NO BUFFETING, no noise.  I'm 5'9".

My guess is it will be a great improvement on very hot days in the lowest position.

YMMV,
Barry

You weren't in a haze again and forgot your pants didya?    8)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Barry

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 03:56:26 PM »
hahahah... touche' douche'.

No - jeans, t-shirt, Olympia mesh, boots, gloves.  Warmer on the ride home.  VERY happy with the cut down screen.

From a purely aesthetic perspective I believe the bike will look better with the top case off, and the cut  down screen...  and maybe even better with bags off.  But I NEVER remove my bags.

Barry