Author Topic: Check your fuel filter!!!  (Read 6531 times)

Offline Rowlander

Check your fuel filter!!!
« on: July 23, 2011, 07:11:38 PM »
Well, I pulled my filter because I have everything else ripped off and figured why not check it out. I am glad I did... It was black!!! There were actual chunks of crap attached and around the filter and pump. To be honest, pulling the pump and filter isn't really that bad. Cleaning the filter is. I am starting off cleaning it with wd40 since it is the only thing I have on hand and it seems to be doing the job quite well. I will be letting it sit over night and check on it tomorrow. I only have 10,000 miles and can not believe the filter was that clogged. I was attributing the jumpiness at low idle to the flies being out or the throttle cables being loose. I can't wait until next week when I get her all back together and see how she acts with a clean fuel filter!!!

Offline chi-gpz1100

Re: Check your fuel filter!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 08:34:54 PM »
Can you take a pic?  I wasn't aware this bike even had a fuel filter...

Offline ZedHed

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 09:16:42 PM »
It's not really a filter, it is a screen.  It passes much more crud than a proper "filter"  I know that is just semantics, and the screen does perform the function of a filter, but it is much less sophisticated and efficient.  I think they use one to prevent excessive back-pressure.
"Life is a hard teacher - you get the test before the lesson is taught..."

Offline shreveportSS

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 10:35:02 PM »
It's not really a filter, it is a screen.  It passes much more crud than a proper "filter"  I know that is just semantics, and the screen does perform the function of a filter, but it is much less sophisticated and efficient.  I think they use one to prevent excessive back-pressure.

The filter in the Suzuki C109 I came off of was a nightmare. Nothing passed through it. Clogged up all the time.
2011 Concours 14
2011 ZX1000GBF Ninja. Died Dec. 1st, 2012
2012 ZX1000HBF Ninja.

Offline Rowlander

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 12:06:50 AM »
Can you take a pic?  I wasn't aware this bike even had a fuel filter...
If you follow the link for davo's fuel pump repair sticky you will see what I mean.

Offline tundra dweller

• XLR8
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 08:30:31 AM »
Thanks ! Added to the winter "to do" list.
"When my time has come I prefer to be in the Saddle rather than the Recliner"

Offline Freddy

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 12:01:00 PM »
I've cleaned mine a couple of times and found that dishwashing detergent and water to be the best to clean it rather than petroleum based solvents. 
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline Rowlander

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 12:06:08 PM »
I've cleaned mine a couple of times and found that dishwashing detergent and water to be the best to clean it rather than petroleum based solvents.

I will try that. Works for birds in oil spills. At least that what the commercials say.

Offline Freddy

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2022, 08:02:09 PM »

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2022, 04:05:55 PM »
Freddy is your adobe link supposed to be a pdf?

Offline Freddy

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2022, 06:22:58 PM »
Yes.  If I click on the link it comes up ok.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 10:44:07 PM by Freddy »

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2022, 03:32:12 PM »
got it, thanks

Offline Freddy

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2022, 08:44:24 PM »
I think those COG folks have missed the point about the hidden pressure-side filter - except for C&Dagent.  Can some kind soul who's a COG member repost this over there please.  Honestly, I don't know why I bother with them.   :doh:

https://forum.concours.org/index.php?threads/an-interesting-diagnosis.51638/page-2#post-664073

From elswehere on this forum:

Thanks to some keen observations by Roba and BundyBear of the Australian GTR forum it's now possible to put a part number to that hidden secondary high pressure filter as shown in the pic below.

Yes it's Suzuki part number 15610-14J00  item 7 below comes with regulator & O ring.

https://bluecitymotorcycles.com.au/oem/suzuki/search-part?brand=suzuki&year=2015&model=3618&section=205353
« Last Edit: October 09, 2022, 04:47:15 AM by Freddy »

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2022, 01:34:54 PM »
Good information.  Thank you.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Freddy

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2022, 03:50:59 PM »
There was a magnified pic of the high side filter posted on the other forum recently but the thread was deleted due to turning into war zone.  A pity that good photo went out with the garbage.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2022, 03:57:12 AM »
There was a magnified pic of the high side filter posted on the other forum recently but the thread was deleted due to turning into war zone.  A pity that good photo went out with the garbage.
It's why many of us here are no longer over there. I have also dropped out of several Facebook groups due to a high proportion of aggressive ****holes. Luckily there is still this forum and there are still a few C10/C14 groups on FB where people behave like civilised human beings, or where they get policed heavily so that the ****holes never get a chance to start anything.

I assume that this "high-pressure" filter is a wire mesh rather than a fabric filter like the main one, and it can just be blown clean with a blast of air the other way?
I've looked for pics online and cannot find any decent ones for it.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2022, 08:32:01 AM »
I also noticed a high profile, respected member "over there" was advising people to buy quantum fuel pumps.  Why not?  They are cheap. This guy even started a business reflashing the Concours 14 ECU.  In other words, someone who should have known .

This is why not.  https://www.zx-10r.net/threads/danger-read-quantum-fuel-pumps.355538/

You'll notice these pumps have had issues since @2014.  Although some of them are ok, others do not have a functional check valve.  This is dangerous. This isn't an isolated incident as threads like this are all over the internet.

Sadly, much of the thread has been cleaned up.  Sanitized for your protection.   

Offline Freddy

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2022, 04:26:19 PM »
Very interesting 409!

Boomer, hard to say what that hi pressure filter is made of from that now disappeared pic.  All you could see was the cylinderical screen on inside.  I know of one 1400GTR owner who cleaned it in an ultra sonic apparatus.  It can be replaced with the Suzuki part shown in reply 12.

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2022, 05:10:45 PM »
In defense of the "other" forum there is a lot of knowledge folks. There seems to be more activity and I have received allot og good advice from both of these forums. Most of the problems come from just a few individuals. Unfortunately when good people leave things dont improve.  I really enjoy learning as much about this machine ad I can and the knowledge seems so much better and more easily found than on FB groups.
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline Justcliff

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2022, 08:00:22 AM »
Very interesting 409!

Boomer, hard to say what that hi pressure filter is made of from that now disappeared pic.  All you could see was the cylinderical screen on inside. 

I did disassemble another pump I had to take this picture & posted it over there after seeing your previous post #12 Freddy. Not sure if it's the one you're referring to in that now disappeared thread.

Cliff

2008 C14, 250,000 miles & counting!  2014 V-Strom 1000
IBA#66047