Author Topic: Temperature Sensor Question  (Read 1213 times)

Offline Snype

Temperature Sensor Question
« on: November 05, 2022, 12:26:08 PM »
This is the sensor for the external air that I am talking about.  When I last serviced it, I did something and now it reads way off.  I'm hypothesizing that I knocked a wire lose, or the worst case, knocked it off into the air box when I pushed the air filter in.  The issue has something to do with how I screwed up my air-filter change.  I cannot find any schematics to tell me what I may have dislodged.

I'm about to go out and take a look a the upper relays.  I'm loathed to remove the side panels, as my driveway is dirt and gravel, so, I keep losing parts. 

I'd love some insight into what I screwed up so I don't have to do exploratory spelunking.

2012 Concours

Offline Freddy

Re: Temperature Sensor Question
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2022, 06:53:52 PM »
Can't help with your problem but parking the bike on a sheet of opaque plastic sure is a big help in that situation.
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline PH14

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2022, 09:23:16 AM »
Can't help with your problem but parking the bike on a sheet of opaque plastic sure is a big help in that situation.

Or a nice canvas painter's tarp.

Offline Michelle

• Saving the chubby unicorns
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2022, 06:13:09 PM »
This is the sensor for the external air that I am talking about.

If you are talking about the 'external air' as outside temperature, the sensor for that is right behind the grille in the left nostril and nowhere near the airbox.
Neutron Silver 08 1400GTR ABS with KTRC K-ACT and ECO
Glitter White 2010 1400GTR
Windsor Green 1997 GTR1000

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2022, 08:28:45 AM »
In the below link, part 21176 is the sensor.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/kawasaki/motorcycle/2012/concours-14-abs-zg1400ccf/frame-fittings

In the below link, you can see where it lives. Behind the resonator in the left side intake.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/kawasaki/motorcycle/2012/concours-14-abs-zg1400ccf/air-cleaner

I could see how you could bump it or the wiring trying to change the filter without pulling the cowling.
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2022, 02:53:51 PM »
If you are talking about the 'external air' as outside temperature, the sensor for that is right behind the grille in the left nostril and nowhere near the airbox.

Somehow mine always gets wet after I wash the bike, and it throws the temp sensor WAY off for quite a few miles, until it gets dried off.  Not like I am directly spraying water into the intake, so it can't be that far away :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Michelle

• Saving the chubby unicorns
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2022, 01:04:05 AM »
The temperature sensor is a long way from anything that can dislodge it while the fairings are on. The wiring to it goes into the loom that is tied to the fairing support. Dislodging wires tends to make things not work at all.

Neutron Silver 08 1400GTR ABS with KTRC K-ACT and ECO
Glitter White 2010 1400GTR
Windsor Green 1997 GTR1000

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2022, 03:08:40 PM »
The temperature sensor is

Nice picture, thanks.  Yep, that is REALLY close to the air intake.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc