Author Topic: Crashed and now won't start  (Read 3255 times)

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
Crashed and now won't start
« on: August 19, 2022, 11:19:58 PM »
Went down on the left side in slick dirt in rural Kansas . Left mirror broke off. Down for a few minutes before I could get her up. Started righ up. Rode about 15 miles no problems then FI error but running fine. Then notice clutch lever going soft, and battery displayed on dash and power going away. Another 10 miles I'm getting to little town and clutch is gone. Had to push final 40feet to convenience store in Dighton, KS. Me and riding partner found crack in reservoir and patched with jb weld. But now bike won't start.got an Ana tow to son's  house in Wichita. Will go through what i can in am, including batter connections cranks heartily but no start. Batt display with key on shows 12.4. Very puzzled why it started an ran but now won't. Also, never heard of display showing "battery".
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
Re: Crashed and now won't start
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2022, 11:25:43 PM »
Forgot to mention bike landed on my ankle and it is badly swollen and hurts like hell and I ain't walkin so good. BUT I got some Bourbon

Offline Freddy

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2022, 06:18:25 AM »
Do you hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds when key is turned on?  If not, those replays are on the left - check em out.
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2022, 07:19:53 AM »
Do you hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds when key is turned on?  If not, those replays are on the left - check em out.
thanks. I will listen for that.are those the relays by the air filter slot??

Offline Freddy

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2022, 09:34:08 AM »
It's switched on then off by the FI ECU if the engine is not started.  Not actually certain if a is relay is involved - I checked.

UPDATE: The fuel pump is controlled by the relay box under the seat by the looks.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2022, 04:42:04 PM »
Do we have a tip over switch on the 14?
Could also have damaged the kickstand switch.

Offline Freddy

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2022, 06:07:28 PM »
Yes to t/over switch - but he had the bike running.  If s/stand switch, it should run with clutch lever pulled.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2022, 08:20:31 PM »
Fuel pump is working. I managed to get the bike started this morning, no FI light but "Battery" displayed on dash. Bike quickly overheated and started running rough..I  think now the crash stressed the hose from radiator to water pump and sprung a leak when I slowed upon reaching Dighton, the first town I came to after the crash. Before that temp Guage showed normal.
I would look for a suitable hose at auto parts stores except I can't get any pressure in the clutch. Nit going to get anywhere without a clutch. Going to fly home and come back with my trailer.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2022, 04:59:35 AM »
Oh man....
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2022, 08:44:01 AM »
Damn, that sucks. Glad you're mostly okay. Dropped mine on my ankle and it folded up under the rear crash bars a few months back. Finally getting back to normal.
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2022, 10:45:12 AM »
Thanks, need a headlight fairing. Should have a good clutch master on parts bike.

Is the headlight fairing the same for am 08 and 12?

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2022, 12:53:45 PM »
I don't think so. One of the changes was moving the mirrors up on the '10+.
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.

Offline robertv

• 2008 C14 Silver
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2022, 02:24:44 PM »
Glad you're ok and getting this resolved quickly!

I also had a small slip with same parts affected, mirror bracket and headlight fairing so keeping an eye on this thread on the fixing progress.

Offline Michelle

• Saving the chubby unicorns
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2022, 08:07:25 PM »
Is the headlight fairing the same for am 08 and 12?
Yes. The change in mirrors didn't require modification of the headlight cowl.
Neutron Silver 08 1400GTR ABS with KTRC K-ACT and ECO
Glitter White 2010 1400GTR
Windsor Green 1997 GTR1000

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2022, 06:13:45 AM »
I found an Ebay listing for a 12 headlight fairing for 150  but it has cracks and he want 70 bucks for shipping. TBrowsing that listing led me to others including a Franch company that make aftermarket copies. Looks like a pretty good company 97% positive feedback. Thir add indiactes the fairing is the same for 07-2016. I am debating my options. If I claim with insurance the will surely total it and my policy premium will increase for all 4 bikes :-[

Offline robertv

• 2008 C14 Silver
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2022, 12:25:51 PM »
Yea that headlight fairing is expensive and only found Partzilla had availability. I think it was over $400. Going to do mine this fall once riding season slows down.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2022, 07:48:51 AM »
Yea that headlight fairing is expensive and only found Partzilla had availability. I think it was over $400. Going to do mine this fall once riding season slows down.
I am considering the aftermarket item on Ebay for 266 and 18 shipping. They have it in unpainted and black.

Offline deepseamdv

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2022, 08:29:33 PM »
The Ebay aftermarket one is not DOT approved. If you live where they do vehicle inspections it will not pass.
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1, Honda CB-650, 09C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2022, 04:34:12 AM »
In Virginia that wouldn't give anyone a second thought.  They don't look at stuff like that...just basically brakes and lights.  No one checks for DOT approved stamps.  They don't have that kind of time and don't get much money for the inspection.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2022, 06:10:06 AM »
VA Inspection is very minimal, indeed.  Usually 5 to 10 min of check that lights work, look at brakes, check tire tread, sometimes that the seatbelt works, listen for exhaust leak, honk the horn, a quick glance for anything abnormal that sticks out, and that is it.  If they really cared about safety, they would at least check suspension and AIM THE DAMN HEADLIGHTS so other drivers aren't BLINDED TO DEATH constantly.  My best friend was an inspector.  If they tried to check everything that the regulations require, it would take two people well over an hour.  The manual is 200+ pages.  https://vsp.virginia.gov/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/Motor-Vehicle-Safety-Inspection-Manual-2021.pdf

Anyway, there is NO WAY that anyone cares if a tiny body panel is DOT approved.  I am not even sure how that could reasonably be a real safety issue.  No inspection in any State is going to look for that- checking every part.  Probably 80+% of motorcycles have illegally modified exhaust systems and apparently all of them pass.

I have never even bothered having my motorcycles inspected.  Ever.  That is, what, 25 years?  The sticker is rarely visible.  Yeah, I might get caught one day and have to pay a fine.... and it won't come close to the money and inconvenience saved.  *I* check for safety on it all the time.  I hear that the military bases do check such things for some reason, but that doesn't concern me.  Yes, I do have my cars inspected, however.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc