Author Topic: ABS Module  (Read 1326 times)

Offline suzy1052

ABS Module
« on: August 13, 2022, 08:41:02 AM »
I have determined my 2011 may need a new abs pump. It works fine for a half mile or so on initial startup until it throws the K-Act ABS error on the dash and yellow lit symbols. Code is B88. I flushed the brakes completely as the fluid was brown. Abs functions as designed when I hit the brakes in grass so I know it works until the error shows up. My question is when I change the pump is there any special procedure or cycling needed ? I've had this bike for a week and while I like it I never had an ABS issue with my 2016 14r in 5 years.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: ABS Module
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2022, 08:12:56 PM »
Mine is also a 2011, never a problem with ABS.  It is pretty rare to have such issues (from what I have seen on the forum, anyway).  B88 is "Output fluid pressure sensor (rear brake) trouble (offset abnormal).  Checking the manual, I think the sensor is part of the ABS unit (inside it).  That is about all I know.

Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Freddy

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2022, 10:14:35 PM »
I happen to repair the series 1 (non-TC / K-TRAC) 4 pipe ABS units as they are more prone to failure from contaminated fluid than the later ones.  (I offer an exchange deal and sell then on ebay. In fact, one will be delivered to a Kaw dealer in Michigan within a couple of days.) 

Yes, those sensors are within the ABS unit.  There is a glitch in the system of the series 1 bike whereby this type of failure does not throw a warning to the rider.  Kaw has been aware of the glitch for years but refused to do anything about because of the small number of reported failures.

I've not had the later 5 pipe unit apart but it's probably similar valves within which get blocked and cause the failure.  At least it's thrown a fault code - which is really good!  But to answer your question - there is no special procedure, just don't let the fluid run out of the reservoirs while you have all the pipes disconnected.  Ensure the lever and pedal are partly applied in order to stop the reservoirs emptying.  Your ZX14r had/has the same 4 pipes unit as the early ZG1400 - apart from the calibration of the ABS ECU.

New ABS unit or used?  I could be interested in your failed unit to see if it can be fixed in a similar way to the early units - but I'm in Australia.

I hope it all goes well.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 06:07:37 AM by Freddy »
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2022, 05:27:43 AM »
Cool info.
When suzy1052 said the fluid was brown, I was wondering if that caused the failure- improper or inadequate replacement of the brake fluid.  Contaminates could have fouled the sensor?  I was going to suggest another, much more intensive flush with a power system that can perhaps get all the old fluid out.  Seems like it would be worth a try?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline suzy1052

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2022, 07:14:34 AM »
I really appreciate the responses. I'm gonna pull the tank and have a look around before I buy anything. Seeing how bad that fluid looked today will be spent changing the coolant and air filter along with the final drive oil to start with a clean slate so to speak. This bike is pretty clean so with no scuffs or scratches so I'm a little surprised to see the brake fluid was allowed to get this bad.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2022, 10:01:02 AM »
If brake fluid is not flushed regularly then ABS pump issues happen more frequently.  A bike that has not been ridden very much can have issues from that.  I would change every fluid and grease everything and check everything on it.  Rear drive fluid and take the drive shaft out and grease it with moly grease.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline suzy1052

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2022, 08:01:19 PM »
Got the new pump in and everything is working as it should. I figured I might as well change the fuel filter while I had the tank off and it was black as coal. MRA Vario, Kaoko and T Rex luggage guards also installed. At this rate I wont have any gas money left but I'm really getting to like this bike. Flash is next as Ivan's is about 90 minutes from my house. One question I do have is it normal for the rear brake pedal to get hard if you grab a hand full of front brake ? Really appreciate the info on this site. Thanks.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2022, 01:51:25 AM »
One question I do have is it normal for the rear brake pedal to get hard if you grab a hand full of front brake ?
Yes, the 2010 and later have linked brakes so when you grab the front hard it also applies the rear brake.
If you hit the rear only then it applies the front but I believe only one caliper.
Read the owners manual for more details.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline suzy1052

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2022, 04:57:45 AM »
Yes, the 2010 and later have linked brakes so when you grab the front hard it also applies the rear brake.
If you hit the rear only then it applies the front but I believe only one caliper.

Ok thank you. I figured it was normal but just checking. I had a 02 VFR800 and I don't remember it doing that.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2022, 05:23:55 AM »

Yep, you can set high or low linking through the UI.  I recommend setting it to low (lesser linked).  The bike will remember the setting forever (unless power is removed).