Author Topic: Instrument panel went Blank and engine stuttering badly.  (Read 1105 times)

Offline RudyP

Instrument panel went Blank and engine stuttering badly.
« on: May 15, 2022, 07:39:36 AM »
Hi , Need Help.
Yesterday I was returning from a 25 mile ride on my C14 (2012 ) and almost home when my panel went blank and engine started to stutter really bad. No error messages or lights on the panel and the horn and turn signals would not operate.  Was able to limp home , once there I tried to turn off the stove key and restart but nothing. The immobilizer light on the panel does not flash red as it normally does. I pulled the battery and cleaned all the connections on it and the grounds to the frame but still nothing. Load tested the battery and it maintained reasonable voltage with a 10 amp load on it .
Would appreciate any guidance on this issue.
thanks
RudyP

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Instrument panel went Blank and engine stuttering badly.
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2022, 10:00:30 AM »
I would check all fuses and start reseating connectors as a start.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline RudyP

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2022, 04:52:04 PM »
maxtog
Thanks for the response , all fuses are good , disconnected , cleaned with contact cleaner and remade all connections under the seat and on the instrument panel.
On the fuses for SMART and Answerback there isn't battery voltage present which I am a bit suspect of. Screen fuse , both ABS fuses ,  Head Hi and Head Low all have 12 volts to them.
On the KIPASS ECU pin 7 and 24 are supposed to have battery voltage with the key in off position but they do not have any voltage on them.
Now need to figure out if those two fuses are supposed to have battery voltage and if so why not   and if this is why pin 7 and 24 on the KIPASS ECU are not powered with 12 volts.
Anyone with insight into this ?
thanks
RudyP

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2022, 05:27:03 PM »
I only have the wiring diagram for the 2008-2009. However, those pins got power from the tail light fuse via the main 30 amp fuse.
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.

Offline RudyP

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2022, 07:05:52 PM »
Thanks Big Red
Traced my 2012 and both pins 7 and 24 on the KIPASS ECU get  power from the SMART Fuse which is not currently powered. Need to trace out where the SMART fuse is supposed to be powered from.
RudyP

Offline RudyP

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2022, 01:02:32 PM »
Back in my Happy Place !!!
Found the problem , fixed it and all is well in my C14 world.
Previously I had checked the 30 Amp Main Fuse behind the battery which was good but the wiring behind the fuse had a corroded connection. Cleaned it up  and it works .
RudyP

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2022, 01:05:14 PM »
Thank you for posting the fix. Good to put in the knowledge bank.
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.