Poll

When you did your 15K valve adjust, how bad were they?

All were within spec
One or more was out of spec
A few needed adjustment
Most needed adjustment
They were all messed up!
No clue, I didn't ask
To new, not done yet.

Author Topic: 15K Valves: How bad were they?  (Read 31842 times)

Offline jjsC6

Re: 15K Valves: How bad were they?
« Reply #80 on: September 26, 2011, 12:26:25 PM »
there lies the major problem when you pay for this service....they didn't supply you with the map of what they found, or what shims were there....in this instance, you still do not have a clue as to what the clearances actually are, and they might be right on the line. Now, ride another 20k, and where will they be? you simply do not know. ???

I stress to anyone taking the bike in for service, that they INSIST on getting a map of what each clearance is, and that if shims were done at that time, the map MUST include what shims were in place, and what they put in there....
without this information, you still have to stumble thru any future service as if it was the first attempt, and cannot utilize the most valuable piece of the puzzle, which is having a map in hand showing what shims are in place and resultant clearances after service was perforomed, allowing you to simplify the next check by not having to remove the cams, to find out what is there...
It's amazing that people will pay for the work, and never force the data gleaned during the process, to be turned over to them. :'(
Semper Fi....

I agree, but I'm curious - how many folks can confirm that their dealer was willing on doing so?
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline accbiker

« Reply #81 on: September 26, 2011, 06:22:21 PM »
I agree, but I'm curious - how many folks can confirm that their dealer was willing on doing so?

I got the map sheet from the dealer with no problems or complaints from them.  I just asked them to save it for me when I dropped off the bike.  The map sheet even had plenty of oil smug marks on it.  :-)

-David
Athens, GA

Offline accbiker

« Reply #82 on: September 26, 2011, 06:29:35 PM »
$275 for re-shimming?  If so, that was a steal!  I would happily fork over $275 to a dealer if they had a competent mechanic to do my valve check.  I spent the better part of two days working on mine and I didn't even pull the cams (all 16 were dang near middle spec).  But it was my first time digging into my bike, so there was a steep learning curve for pulling everything off.

Which is exactly why I let them do it.  Really good mechanics - counter staff not so much, but they do know to talk/ask questions to the mechanic.  Plus their shop rate is $65 which I think is pretty much unheard of right now.

I have always tried to treat the mechanics with respect and let them know that I understand what they are doing and in a perfect world I would do more of my own maintenance, but stress that I trust them to do me right.  They usually do.  Sure there are bad apples out there, but I still believe that most mechanics are doing a job that they love and want to do it right.  The problems people have are typically with the owners and parts manager of the dealership.

-David
Athens, GA

Offline Freddy

40,000m check
« Reply #83 on: September 26, 2011, 06:38:15 PM »
I did my first valve check and adjust recently at 66,500km.  All were in spec but at or near min.  I tried in vain to do the metric thing but found that it confusing so I reverted to thou (being an older mechanic) and it was then so simple to get my head around what I was looking for after taking the cams in and out a couple of times.   >:(  I aimed for setting max spec on all valves so most required .002" thinner shims and a few .003".  As the shims come in .001" increments I simply needed shims 2 or 3 sizes smaller than what was in there.  I used both Kaw and Honda (half the price) shims as neither had all the shims I needed after I swapped some around.  I checked both local bike shops but they, like me, had HotCams shim kits which are in .002" increments and I'm a bit fussy so I took the time to wait and order the ones I wanted as I was in no hurry to have it finished.
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #84 on: September 27, 2011, 04:42:34 PM »

I assume nobody can confirm it...that is the problem, or moreso, the problem is that nobody TELLS THE DEALER that they EXPECT to see this data when the job is complete....

I stand strong telling anyone that intends to let someone "do your valves" that they must stress to them right up front, that you want/expect that shim / measurement map resultant from the service, there is no excuse for not supplying it when you demand up front that it is recorded for you. It takes approx. 5 minutes of total time expended to write each one down....c'mon. :banghead: :nuts: :deadhorse: :thumbs:

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline kscharnberg

« Reply #85 on: November 04, 2011, 01:20:24 PM »
first check at 29000 found all intake too tight and exhaust at lower limit

Offline gonzosc1

« Reply #86 on: November 04, 2011, 02:48:09 PM »
FWIW - Top Gear Motorsports in Athens did my valve service for $275.  Can't say anything bad about Primo, but I have always found them a little high (both bike prices and service).  But they are a good dealer.

-David
Athens, GA

how long was the bike out of service? I may have to come down there for that price!!!