Author Topic: Valve Timing  (Read 10370 times)

Offline Afm252

Valve Timing
« on: July 15, 2015, 01:01:37 PM »
All, 2009 has 38k miles and I have noticed valve knocking upon start up. Had the valve timing inspected by dealership in Panama City, FL less than 1200 miles ago. Mechanic stated no adjustment was needed. Prior to that the timing had not been adjusted. I now find it hard to believe. Recommendations? I might see if I can fight through it until I get back to Texas next March. A lot of riding to do in between though. Gracias!
Mike T
09 C14 "Turtle"
07 CBR 600rr Blue/ Silver
98 CBR 600 F3 "Desert Storm"

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Valve Timing
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 01:27:34 PM »
Are you sure it's not a cam chain rattle?

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 01:59:26 PM »
It sounds as though you have the notorious C-14 start- up rattle. It is not a 'valve knocking' but rather a loose cam chain that strikes the inside of the cam chain well (crankcase) until there is sufficient oil pressure to drive the cam chain tensioner out and tighten up the chain. The only way I know of to get rid of it is to remove the automatic cam chain tensioner and replace it with a manual tensioner.

There is no valve timing adjustment possible on the C-14. The only change in the valve timing occurs on the intake cam and that is not anything that a user or mechanic can change; it is entirely controlled by the bike's ECU.

Brian

All, 2009 has 38k miles and I have noticed valve knocking upon start up. Had the valve timing inspected by dealership in Panama City, FL less than 1200 miles ago. Mechanic stated no adjustment was needed. Prior to that the timing had not been adjusted. I now find it hard to believe. Recommendations? I might see if I can fight through it until I get back to Texas next March. A lot of riding to do in between though. Gracias!
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 02:02:14 PM »
It sounds as though you have the notorious C-14 start- up rattle. It is not a 'valve knocking' but rather a loose cam chain that strikes the inside of the cam chain well (crankcase) until there is sufficient oil pressure to drive the cam chain tensioner out and tighten up the chain. The only way I know of to get rid of it is to remove the automatic cam chain tensioner and replace it with a manual tensioner.

There is no valve timing adjustment possible on the C-14. The only change in the valve timing occurs on the intake cam and that is not anything that a user or mechanic can change; it is entirely controlled by the bike's ECU.

Brian

'Nuff said.. 
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 02:32:37 PM »
No it's not.   We haven't even gone through one page yet.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 02:55:54 PM »
No it's not.   We haven't even gone through one page yet.

Ok then.

Have you tried using synthetic oil?    ???

Sorry, I just couldn't help myself.    ::)
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 04:12:20 PM »
How many replies makes a page?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 06:17:01 PM »
Not sure.  Personally I think it's magic.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 06:20:14 PM »
[in the background.... "Down Kirby, DOWN!"]

Youse guize are lucky I have been able to keep the little fella' at bay- you know he does not go for KiPass bashing.... even when it is disguised as a valve timing thread.

:rotflmao:

To the original poster: Don't mind these guys, they are just bored and trying to kick up some dust. Trust me- it really IS a well known situation on all C-14's: when you start them, they sound like a tin can full of steel marbles rattling for about three to five seconds.

Brian

How many replies makes a page?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 06:26:42 PM »
Real men's bikes rattle..  None of that smooth starting for me.  That's for wimps.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2015, 06:47:30 PM »
Real men's bikes rattle..  None of that smooth starting for me.  That's for wimps.
There's a Harley joke in there somewhere.... 8)

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2015, 06:53:05 PM »
Harleys do NOT sound like steel marbles (or ball bearings for some of us  ;) ) in a tin can. Both of mine sound like 2 skeletons fornicating in a 55 gallon drum.

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2015, 07:13:13 PM »
1) it's not the "valve timing" or ignition timing, either.

2) as clearly stated cam chain adjusters are rattley on initial start up.

3) the single WORST thing you could do with any engine exhibiting gas knock / detonation is to "fight through it"... your pistons won't allow that to happen for very long. HTH, Steve

Offline Riverszzr

• Lloyd's Motorcycle Performance Center
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2015, 07:32:29 PM »

So if I read between the lines and inject some common thought.....

The valve clearances were checked and said to be okay?

You only hear the noise upon initial start up and it goes away shortly thereafter? (as in a second or two?) or does it last significantly longer...

because your posting leaves a lot to be desired in the way of information that is clear and concise, let alone accurate use of terminology....

yeah yeah yeah I know you guys want to derail the thread with tires and oil and innuendo of sexual exploits (part of what I like about this place...the last part)and I kick it back to something more useful (to the OP anyways), now carry on with how she rattles and bucks when you first start her...

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2015, 07:38:25 PM »
So if I read between the lines and inject some common thought.....

The valve clearances were checked and said to be okay?

You only hear the noise upon initial start up and it goes away shortly thereafter? (as in a second or two?) or does it last significantly longer...

because your posting leaves a lot to be desired in the way of information that is clear and concise, let alone accurate use of terminology....

yeah yeah yeah I know you guys want to derail the thread with tires and oil and innuendo of sexual exploits (part of what I like about this place...the last part)and I kick it back to something more useful (to the OP anyways), now carry on with how she rattles and bucks when you first start her...
;D There you go again.... :rotflmao:

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2015, 08:25:01 PM »
Ok then.

Have you tried using synthetic oil?    ???

Sorry, I just couldn't help myself.    ::)

The other forum has 2 oil threads running concurrently- just sayin' those guys seem to know how to have fun.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2015, 08:43:49 PM »
Another forum? That knows how to have fun? Pray tell, where is it located?  ;)

I used to participate in another Kawasaki based forum but I learned my lesson and moved on; I now associate here and on the local BMW group (to which I also belong).... nice folks, well- run forums and not full of haters / megalomaniacs / haters (yep, said 'haters' twice but only because I though three time would be excessive....  ;) ;D).

Brian

The other forum has 2 oil threads running concurrently- just sayin' those guys seem to know how to have fun.

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2015, 09:12:21 PM »
Another forum? That knows how to have fun? Pray tell, where is it located?  ;)

I used to participate in another Kawasaki based forum but I learned my lesson and moved on; I now associate here and on the local BMW group (to which I also belong).... nice folks, well- run forums and not full of haters / megalomaniacs / haters (yep, said 'haters' twice but only because I though three time would be excessive....  ;) ;D).

Brian

You and I seem to be on the same page- probably something to do with our vintage. I occasionally wander over there to amuse myself, or if I'm bored.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2015, 09:18:13 PM »
Harleys do NOT sound like steel marbles (or ball bearings for some of us  ;) ) in a tin can. Both of mine sound like 2 skeletons fornicating in a 55 gallon drum.

I think they sound like horribly mistuned lawn mowers, usually with a rusted off muffler.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2015, 09:49:08 PM »
It's all perception. I'd prefer to go to a demolition derby or an oval dirt track than a Formula One race. Different strokes..