Author Topic: 08 question on foam fairing inserts...  (Read 14553 times)

Offline tomp

08 question on foam fairing inserts...
« on: March 23, 2014, 05:22:43 PM »
I am currently looking at an '08 with 21K miles on it.  Looking into the lower openings of the fairings, where the heat comes onto the legs, are pieces of thick foam, filling up the internal spaces.

My question is, are those foam pieces aftermarket, to help with heat control,  or OEM parts and have not corrected the heat on the shin problem.  I went to ride it Saturday, but the shop was having an outdoors sale and the bike was hidden behind the booths, so no riding was done.  Unsure whether to go back for a ride or stay away.  tomp   
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 09:28:34 PM by tomp »
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
Re: 08 question
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 05:52:36 PM »
Sounds like someone added them.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline tomp

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 06:03:29 PM »
Are they suppose to help?  Gonna be in the mid 70's to 80 next 10 days here.  Wondering if they will make a difference in such mild temps, or make a difference when it gets really hot here.  Found some NEW '12's for $12K, but don't want to spnd that much for another bike. 

Thanks for input, as I know so little about the C14...

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 06:04:31 PM »
I have an 08. I also have the aftermarket shields. I think the heat issue is largely a personal opinion thing. I currently have only the right shield in. With both it seemed to push a lot of hot air upwards to the gas tank and between my legs. If you wear boots and jeans/riding pants and not tennis shoes and khakis the heat is not that bad. If the price is right and the test ride proves out, go for it.

Offline tomp

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 06:10:46 PM »
Around $7K for the 08.  Found an '09 for $10K with risers and a couple other farkles, but seems high to me.  Guess I need to take a ride on it, before it's sold.   Always wear boots and jeans or heavy riding pants in the winter.  Sounds like I should be OK with the  '08.  It has a stock wind shield, but that is easily replaced with a taller one. 

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 06:20:44 PM »
I cut the stock shield down 4" for summer riding and bought a Calsi for a tall shield. See if they'll come off the 7k. We've seen some for 6500. If the dealer took it in on trade you know they pencil whipped the owner on the trade.

Offline tomp

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 06:28:08 PM »
Yep KBB has trade at $5200.  I know this dealer.  That is the MOST they gave for it, if that.  I've bought 11 bikes from the same guy there, and am going to put his n#ts to the grinder on this one, or no deal..  I want a C14, but not gonna get taken to own this one.  Not a scratch on the silver paint, though...  tomp

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 06:44:55 PM »
Seven grand is a lot less than half the price of a new one. It sounds pretty fair to me.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 06:49:08 PM »
Not if you can get it for less. The bike is six model years old.

Offline tomp

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2014, 06:53:26 PM »
You have an '08, would you sell it for less than $7K?  Not messing with you, just trying to see what the true value on the street, with owners is....

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2014, 06:59:10 PM »
If I had to dump it fast...yes. Realty is I tend to keep a bike that fits for a long time which this one does.

Offline tomp

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2014, 07:11:14 PM »
Going to offer a '12 KLR650 I got from him, and $3K, OTD for it.  Guess I will see how that plays.  Not a dime more, but will let him toss a figure at me first.  Found a new '12 for $12.3K, but don't really want to spend that much more, since I already have a BMW RT in the garage, that is a great ride...tp

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2014, 07:13:19 PM »
Good luck. If not this one there will be others.

Offline tomp

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2014, 07:23:55 PM »
Yep. Don't need one, just want one.  Had a ZZR1200 a while back, and it was a screaming monster.  I imagine the C14 is similar, but with better ergos, which I could never correct on the ZZR, for long distance riding...tp

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2014, 09:19:18 PM »
Had a ZZR1200 a while back, and it was a screaming monster.  I imagine the C14 is similar, but with better ergos, which I could never correct on the ZZR, for long distance riding...tp

Your imagination is probably correct :)

PS- welcome to the ZGGTR forums!!  You might get a better long-term response by choosing a subject/topic name that is more descriptive to your question or thread content.  It also helps others who are searching and researching.  You can edit existing threads by editing the first post and changing the "Subject" line.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline tomp

Re: 08 question on foam fairing inserts...
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2014, 09:31:35 PM »
I changed the thread title to include the foam inserts.  Hope this thread helps others, down the road.  The ZZR was cool but uncomfortable below 100 MPH.  I hope the C14 is more civilized at legal speeds, yet similar fun when turning up the wick.

FWIW, been on two wheels for over 45 years and owned over half a hundred bikes, over those years.  Trying to find a few for the garage, to finish out my riding life, enjoyably.  Want to stay away from trikes at this time... tomp

Offline Racer Boy

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2014, 10:33:08 PM »
My '08 also has thick black foam that looks pre-cut in the lower openings, and I've wondered if that was stock. Can you get those pieces from the aftermarket?

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2014, 03:54:43 AM »
Member Zteve has these. Check here... http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=287.0

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2014, 04:59:18 AM »
The foam inserts help somewhat but the best thing to do is to make sure that the wind screen is not all the way down.  You need to keep it at least an inch or two from the bottom stop.  Air comes through that gap on both sides and helps keep the lower legs cool.  It's counter intuitive, I know, but it works.  With the screen all the way down I can definitely feel a difference on hot days even with the inserts in.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2014, 05:22:01 AM »
That is a very good point. Even with my short shield it's as you say, up a couple of inches. It lessens the back pressure a bit also.