Author Topic: wasn't the bevel drive leaking so now what?  (Read 1827 times)

Offline jworth

• Arena
wasn't the bevel drive leaking so now what?
« on: September 18, 2011, 12:03:46 PM »
Changed the bevel drive seals (all but output shaft which was and is still dry) and she still leaks. Before anyone suggests it, the water pump weep hole is dry and so is the air filter.  The oil seems to be originating somewhat higher on the case, running down the left side, and dripping down onto the exhaust and center stand cross member.  So, any ideas?

Offline Cybercraig

• Sprayboy-Services
Re: wasn't the bevel drive leaking so now what?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 01:09:35 PM »
Shift-shaft seal?
'98 becoming more farkled up by the minute.

R.I.P. Steve Earl  "Mr. FJR"

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 04:24:25 AM »
Check the oring on the alternator. it'll run down the front / left of the bevel drive. HTH, Steve

Offline Reid

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 09:09:55 AM »
May sound too simple.  I had the same leak on my 98.  Left side from up higher on the case.  Turned out it was the valve cover gasket from the last valve adjustment.  Easy fix.  Just my .02 :chugbeer:
2008 C-14 (Silver Belle)
Russell Daylong seat
Cal-Sci windshield
S.Ga. AAD

Offline jworth

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 02:47:54 PM »
Thanks to all who posted suggestions.  Looks like i may have dodged a bullet or overreacted depending on how you want to look at it.  I took the bike for a test drive after I'd just finished the work.  It then spotted on the floor about a 3" mess.  I wiped it down and today was able to take her for another ride after the rain.  The good news is no drip.  I guess it was just residual oil that was on the motor and from the oil change that got really thin and dripped off when it was run.  I do appreciate the suggestions though and sorry to have troubled you.